New(ish) sketch. Very open to suggestions

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
FrankenZappa

New(ish) sketch. Very open to suggestions

Post by FrankenZappa » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:36 pm

(Not sure if this should be moved to the production forum, Sorry... )

Hey guys,

I made this sketch on reason 4.0 like two months ago. I've been meaning to transcribe the notes onto my Monomachine(with Prophet '08) and Machinedrum but I was just to busy last month.

Anyway, I was planning on working on it again soon and thought I'd ask you guys (and elektron-users forum) for some input.

The main issues that i feel I am stuck on are:

1. the lead synth seems weak, I can't seem to find a tone that will cut through the mix without losing the warmth it has currently.

2. arrangement- I'm not sure how to to end the track, what variations i should put on it, fancy fx, etc. Currently it it just as a filter sweep in, and a filter sweep out. Kind of hokey if you ask me :).

Anyways, I'd greatly appreciate any and all input /feedback. I really dig the melody, and want to make a legit track from it despite my novice technical know-how.

Thanks in advance!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: New(ish) sketch. Very open to suggestions

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 am

Very nice!

I though the filter sweep at the end was fine, but maybe instead of having the one at the start, just do a short progressive introduction of the elements.

Another thing to try is to use sidechained noise and crash cymbals to build the rise's and breakdowns.

Also, just a suggestion but I reckon another simple SH-101 style synth loop with a really long reverb tail just layered in the background behind the other elements would work well as a complementary sound.

Cheers :)

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Re: New(ish) sketch. Very open to suggestions

Post by jeeroj » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:02 pm

brilliant tune, I love it - it's got a lovely melancholy feel to it. :D

have you tried just going straight in to the tune, maybe with a little snare break to lead in? or try a reversed cymbal or something? I think the main tune isn't so aggressive that it needs a fade in and going in hard would give the beginning more power. :)

I think the lead sounds perfect as it is, don't change it!

at the break at 2.20 maybe do like hybrid suggests and bring in another pattern if you can, just to fill out the sound in that final drop.

Fade out sounded great to me and would make a contrast with the beginning dropping straight in.

really nice tune, i will be favouriting this one :)

edit - ha, i didn't realise it was you ryan! i'm still loving acid thug =D>
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first