Elevazion

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
CROYBOY89
Gear: Novation Bass Station II, MicroKorg, Roland JU-06, Arturia Keystep in Logic Pro X

Elevazion

Post by CROYBOY89 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:01 am

Hey everybody, My band name is Elevazion, I have 2 tracks on Facebook. they are "Like A Fool" and "Criminal Mind".
please keep in mind I am a major newb to synths/recording/singing/producing/songwriting all of it. but I would like you guys to check it out and let me know what you think. I used a crappy nady star9 mic on like a fool and a sm58 on Criminal Mind. and I used softsynths like Vacuum and Xpand2 and also a roland Juno D. Thanks -Manti
I've got the brains, you've got the looks, let's make lots of money!

CROYBOY89
Gear: Novation Bass Station II, MicroKorg, Roland JU-06, Arturia Keystep in Logic Pro X

Re: Elevazion

Post by CROYBOY89 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:27 am

C'mon guys...

iv0luti0n
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg R3
Roland MKB-300
Oberheim Matrix-6R
Yamaha U3 Upright Piano
Band: Ivan & Friends

Post by iv0luti0n » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:39 am

Criminal Minds:

Tom's don't mix well with the synth in the opening.

Orchestra hits are poorly placed/don't fit in the first half of the song (last minute is okay).

Good bassline. Could use a bit more variety.

Your singing isn't terrible, but it sounds monotone. It needs more emotion.

Your production is pretty good for a professed noob.

Is this song inspired by the TV show? Lol.

You shouldn't have too many parts playing the same exact rhythm; it makes the mix sound more hollow.

Ending... I would have done a fadeout of the synth part instead of the short orchestra hit lick.

Overall, not bad. I listed all the things that I think need improving.

Like a Fool:

Opening already makes me like this song a lot more than the first. Good, tight sound.

Vocals sound better. Good reverb use.

Synth pattern is a little weird. One too many chromatic semitones.

Your lyrics are pretty good. Overall balance is good. Mix could still use 1 or 2 additional parts here or there to make

it a bit fatter.

This song (to me) has a nice, melancholic 80's vibe. Was that what you were going for?

I like the end. It sounds like a Prophet VS or Emu Emulator. Nice touch.

I think both songs could use a 'contrasting' or 'B' section that differs from the rest of the song. To garner more interest. Right now they tend to 'drone on' a little bit.

Just keep working at it. There is a lot of potential here.

Btw, don't expect too many replies on a thread on VSE. It's a small forum and people don't post often.

CROYBOY89

Post by CROYBOY89 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:21 am

Thank you! I'm glad to have someone that knows music give me a straight forward opinion. I appreciate the constructive criticism. I will definitely keep those things in mind when working on other songs!
iv0luti0n wrote:
This song (to me) has a nice, melancholic 80's vibe. Was that what you were going for? .
Yeah :)