New Squarepusher---is Shobaleader One really a band?

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

New Squarepusher---is Shobaleader One really a band?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:21 pm

I bought the latest Squarepusher CD Shobaleader One: D'Demonstrator yesterday largely because it looked like a band recording, but is it a real band or just pseudonyms like Madlib's various "jazz" groups? I didn't like Ultravisitor much...way too abrasive to sit through...but I like his bass playing and this one has some very pleasant songs. Can't say the vocoded/autotuned/WTF vocals do much for me :(

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Re: New Squarepusher---is Shobaleader One really a band?

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:00 pm

I haven't had a complete listen to this yet, but I have to say it sounded interesting (though I thought with the mastering and everything, what I have heard sounded pretty thin and trebly)

But I loved Ultravisitor at the time it came out.

This one looks like a pseudonym project from him.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 pm

From what I remember reading, it is really a band...it is comprised of some guys he had been using to perform some of the squarepusher material live at one point or during some special concerts, if I'm not mistaken.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Hmm...he has made statements that is a real band but with the stage names and masks I guess it comes down to whether they actually do some live performances, eh?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:28 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Hmm...he has made statements that is a real band but with the stage names and masks I guess it comes down to whether they actually do some live performances, eh?
this much is true, and i've read a few times now he plans to take this album on tour...hopefully so, i'd love to see it. i finally ordered a copy of it on vinyl a few days ago, so hopefully i can listen to it all the way thru by this weekend!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:22 am

Has this thread been done before or am I just getting dejavu? Seriously, it seem really familiar.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Has this thread been done before or am I just getting dejavu? Seriously, it seem really familiar.
rharris07 enlightened me and others to the existence of Squarepusher's new project in another thread in the OT section. Can't remember which thread, but I was absolutely ecstatic to hear the news :D
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:21 pm

there were loads of blog posts about it over a month ago. i thought he said that the rest of the band are well known musicians who work in other genres, i'm sure he said they had metal backgrounds.

i don't think it's a prank, Tom isn't the same as RDJ and doesn't tend to make up stupid stories. Plus, he is incredibly technically proficient so I'm certain the other musicians must have some pretty good skills to keep up with him.

EDIT - google is your friend,
http://warp.net/records/squarepusher/wa ... eader-one/
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Yeah, I read the thing at the Warp site but it still sounded, um, odd. Why all the secrecy?

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:58 pm

That video is quite awesome. his bass playing, i don't believe, will ever become un-shocking to me in terms of pure ingenuity.

They seem like a mix of Daft Punk and Space - like a modern version of Space I guess you could say.

He said in the interview that they'll tour next year with some more released material, so I cannot wait to hopefully see them live. I wonder who they would get to tour with them...

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:21 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Yeah, I read the thing at the Warp site but it still sounded, um, odd. Why all the secrecy?

I think they'd rather let the music do the talking. If they are well known musicians I guess they don't want their previous work to interfere with the new project.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Finally got this in on vinyl. I listened to it all the way thru on 33rpm before realizing it's suppose to run at 45, which is strange being in 12" 180 gram vinyl, but regardless - if you get a chance, slow this record down a bit and give it another listen. It is SO much more enjoyable going extremely slow than it is at full speed.

Sounds weird, I know - but try it.

jeeroj

Post by jeeroj » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:20 pm

rharris07 wrote:Finally got this in on vinyl. I listened to it all the way thru on 33rpm before realizing it's suppose to run at 45.
this is 100% win.

as long as you enjoy it, it doesn't matter how you listen to it :D