Deep Field - Andromeda, Mopho, ATC-x, Alchemy

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
b3groover
Band: THEO

Deep Field - Andromeda, Mopho, ATC-x, Alchemy

Post by b3groover » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:57 am

This is a track I've been working on for a few months. Initially I was going to just scrap because it was kind of dull, it but something kept pulling me back to it.

The idea started with the Andromeda, which is doing strings, the main drum track, and some of the arpeggios. And some tinkly things.

The melody is a combination of Alchemy and the Andromeda (doing the really high tinkly stuff). Alchemy also provides the chord "stabs".

Later I added some more arpeggios courtesy of the Mopho (Keyboard), a more prominent bass via the ATC-x, and the intro strings (Andromeda aux output into the Moogerfooger phaser). I didn't add anything else for a few weeks, instead slowly cutting things apart out and doing some very judicious editing measure by measure.

Still not happy with it, last night I put the Andromeda track (which is a single multi, consisting of the drums, a simple upper bassline, and an arpeggio) through Glitch-VST from illformed and recorded the results. Then I cut up the parts I liked and inserted them in various places. I also added Glitch to the strings at the end to break up the monotony a bit.

Today I added yet another bass from the Mopho, some reverb, and some echo effects here and there. I think it might finally be coming together.

Thoughts?

b3groover

Re: Deep Field - Andromeda, Mopho, ATC-x, Alchemy

Post by b3groover » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:31 pm

So I realize this isn't as important as three pages of discussion on American colloquialisms, but certainly someone has an opinion? I'm thinking it might be done but last night I almost added another part. :)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:33 am

normally i say make it shorter, get in, say what you have to say, and then get out, but i really want to hear you elaborate on that silent part before returning to the main section @ 4:00. when everythig drops out of the song, you could almost get away with doing anything you want there, and the silence sort of hints that you coud go so much deeper - like if the bubbly part became a nice obscure minor melody. contrast the main hapy inquisitive melody with the type of section that sounds like you feel when you just realized something that you forgot for a long time that was really important, and it's sort of haunting. recall that feeling, and then put it in there! (if you want) also, you can get rid of some of the main section before the silence if you're worried about getting to lengthy.(recomended). otherwise, it rocks!!! 8-) glad you diddn't scrap it!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:11 am

Some very good ideas. Thank you!

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:04 pm

Sounds good to me the way it is.

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:34 am

Sounds good to me, only thing that sort of stood out was that arpeggio (I assume from the mopho?) thats panned all the way right. It may not have seemed static to me if I didn't have headphones on but what would happen with a slow pan back and forth a couple times?

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Impressive. I like the composition, and the percussive and arp sounds particularly.
=D>
Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending