Need feedback on mix! (I'm testing monitors)

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Need feedback on mix! (I'm testing monitors)

Post by D-Collector » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 pm

I am testing some speakers for use as monitors, as I currently can't afford expensive monitors. This is a quick test track I made while using them, and I would like to know what you think about it. I have cross referenced the track on my other home stereos and headsets afterwards and it sounds pretty nice on them. Does it sound good to you? Is it a decent mix?

All feedback is appreciated. I really want to improve my music production.

Instruments used:

Tromine - 808
TromineZ - 909
PPG 2.V - Bass
FM7 - Bell and Synth
Plucked String - Guitar

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: Need feedback on mix! (I'm testing monitors)

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:13 pm

- Add a pumping master compressor! :)
- The bell/synth at 1:36 didn't add much useful iyam. Due to its loudness and place in the spectrum, it's "in the picture", but while being there it doesn't add much substance. I would say: either have no melody, or have a good melody. I would choose the no melody option and instead try something vocal, like rapping, or reading out text (as some sorta story telling, think Vincent Price @ Thriller).

Other than that, the mix seems clear/clean to me.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks CS. All points taken. The music itself was just something I put together fairly quick to check if I could get a good mix with these speakers, I thought it would be good to have different kinds of sounds in it, hence the bell, guitar, etc. But I am going to try to finish it properly. Funny you mention vocals / rap, I actually thought of having some sampled vocals / speech / rap or something.

You say the mix sounds clean, that makes me happy. If more people feel the same, I know that this setup is something I can work with. The speakers are actually a pair of big-a*s Jamo Magic-14s from 1989. I put them in the attic a long time ago (before I started making mucic) because they didn't sound so good for normal CD listening. Kind of harsh in the mids. Made some music sound downright ugly. Some sort of NS-10 phenomenon here?

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 am

So do anyone have an opinion on this? Does it sound like a decent mix on your system? Too much bass or highs? I'm very curious as to the neutrality of these speakers..

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 am

Sounds like you need to A/B it with Commercial releases. It sounded fine to me, but I don't know what you're going for. There wasn't any earth-shattering bass, but maybe that's NOT what you're going for. I would use effects more liberally (longer reverb tails) but that's just me and how I'd mix YOUR song.

Snare at the start sounded weird, but who knows. mixing is very subjective.
If you're trying to land on the radio then you need to sue professionally mixed recording as your bar.
if it's just the internet or headphones then you have more room to play and push.

Sounded like pop-slanted mixing in my ears.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks avid. I don't want shattering bass, I just want to have my music sound clean and nice. Not aiming for radio, but I want to be able to share my music in the best possible quality. It should sound like it has been mixed properly on a good system and not on laptop speakers or in a cheap headset.

Do you mean the clap at the start or the 909 snare later on?

Again this was just a test track, not something I am trying to get on radio or anything. :lol:

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 pm

It's the snare later on.
I see what you did. There's a delay on the snare that makes it sound twice farther along in the track.
I missed that and thought it was a bit of percussion. My ears failed me! :cry: sorry about that.

I think it sounds very clean.
Makes me see the ending credits from an 80s movie.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 pm

You are right, indeed I put a bit of stereo delay on the snare. Should have mentioned it in the first post.
Great to hear it is clean! Thanks for letting me know avid! ;)

multipackvitamin

:):)

Post by multipackvitamin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:29 pm

Last edited by multipackvitamin on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon May 02, 2011 1:10 pm

multipackvitamin wrote:I think it sounds great, very clear and crisp. Is this without mastering or with?
Thank you multipack! I'm sorry I did not notice your post until now.. I only added slight compression on the master channel.
multipackvitamin wrote:When I used to make stuff, I could never get it as clear as you have done.
Have you quit making music? I hope not! :(

multipackvitamin

Post by multipackvitamin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Last edited by multipackvitamin on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 pm

multipackvitamin wrote:yeah, gave up due to lack of time and there's no point in carrying on if others can make better stuff.

I run a blog now though, posting articles is so much easier.
I can understand lack of time and all but you shouldn't quit just because you think others does it better. For sure, I have felt like that myself sometimes, but how can I improve myself if I give up? There will always be people who are more skilled and talented and so on. So what? I'm sure something will eventually come along and re-ignite the interest :wink:

Your music has struck a cord with a lot of people, including myself. Loads of people on youtube are asking where you went and why you closed your channels, because they enjoyed your music. Do you still have all your tunes available somewhere? I hope so.