Live experimental use of Virus Ti (video)

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Live experimental use of Virus Ti (video)

Post by redroomrecordings » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:53 pm

Hey guys I thought you might enjoy this. A trailer for a performance I'm currently working with. I am doing live sound via the Virus Ti along with my partner's live video. We will be debuting this performance in Iceland Sep. 2nd.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

MAGUS(RE)GENESIS is a collaborative film and music performance piece by filmmaker, Jaimz Asmundson and musician, Jeremy Pillipow. The performance deconstructs their two previous film collaborations (Drawing Genesis and The Magus) into an improvised, live multi-channel, full-dimensional experience.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Re: Live experimental use of Virus Ti (video)

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Nice.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Interesting.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:06 pm

How much of the show is influenced by the normal "improv" things that happen live, even when the show itself is really carefully planned?
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Roby31 wrote:How much of the show is influenced by the normal "improv" things that happen live, even when the show itself is really carefully planned?
Well, enough of it is live that the performance is never exactly the same. Especially the video. The side screens are pre recorded / synched, but the center screen is all triggered live. My partner has over 300 video clips mapped out to his keyboard and he triggers them all individually, and overlays them, and adds live editing fx. He does it all to a pre recorded version of the film that is on a small screen that only he can see. So The general progression of the film is the same and uses the same clips every time, and follows the same linear story line but the way it is edited together is different every single time.

as for the music, there is the original score to the film (that i composed) which is played as a backing track. At every point during the performance I am playing 1 - 2 different sounds / parts over top. Again the patches I created for this are all pre determined and used at the same point every time but the patches I made are all highly tweakable, and that is most of what I am doing (patch tweaking). It is a lot of evolving sound, so the patches are the same every time, but after a few moments of tweaking they end up different than they were on the previous performance. I am also timing most of my sounds to his live edited video (why i watch the screen and don't just listen to the music).

There are also a few points during the performance, especially the end that are pretty much totally improvised. He will do some really crazy editing stuff and I will just jam out with only my live sound, no backing tracks.