The Lost Cave - Halloween/Horror/Lofi EP on Bandcamp

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

The Lost Cave - Halloween/Horror/Lofi EP on Bandcamp

Post by blavatsky » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:04 am

For halloween, a dark lofi sampler based EP using the roland MV8800, Sp505, and a hint of KP3 and kaoss quad.
Sort of trip hoppy / spacey / offbeat at times collection - if you like B-horror movies, worshiping the Old Ones, and weird hissy gritty samples then you may be in for a treat.

All tunes are free individually, whole album is available for 1 cent and up (no-minimum donation)

Enjoy

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Re: The Lost Cave - Halloween/Horror/Lofi EP on Bandcamp

Post by rharris07 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:35 am

That is a really great album to chill out to - I enjoyed it a lot this evening.

What do you use for your samples? Can I ask where/how you've found them? I've always wanted to get into sampling but i just do not have the time to actually do it number one, and i don't really know where to start number two.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX

Post by blavatsky » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

On this one I used a lot of older (mostly pre 80s) movies, usually horror/scifi/kungfu type stuff. Stuff that ends up on those 50 movie packs for 10 dollars types...drums are usually a mix of chopped breaks/one hits/stuff i sampled. I sample off of netflix/roku channels too but I try to stick to less known/expired copyright material.

It is time consuming to find stuff, but I prefer it to relying on sample packs and CDs , it suits my style better especially for the vintage/lofi sound.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 pm

what do you use to sample to? are you using a daw for the whole thing or hardware?
blavatsky wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

On this one I used a lot of older (mostly pre 80s) movies, usually horror/scifi/kungfu type stuff. Stuff that ends up on those 50 movie packs for 10 dollars types...drums are usually a mix of chopped breaks/one hits/stuff i sampled. I sample off of netflix/roku channels too but I try to stick to less known/expired copyright material.

It is time consuming to find stuff, but I prefer it to relying on sample packs and CDs , it suits my style better especially for the vintage/lofi sound.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:50 pm

This is really good stuff. Passing along to some other heads out there. Keep on with this, you are onto something very solid. Kudos.

Harp3
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Telecaster, various fx pedals

Post by Harp3 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:39 am

Agreed.

I've been trying to tell people how awesome this is.

cool cover btw
Last edited by Harp3 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by blavatsky » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:34 pm

thanks guys - really appreciate the feedback
what do you use to sample to? are you using a daw for the whole thing or hardware?
I'm a big fan of hardware - usually its the roland SP555 and SP505, but i just got an MV8800 and that was the workhorse on this one. It has a VGA monitor and mouse though so the workflow is really nice, but you still have the hardware feel and nice roland effects, etc. I used some KP3 and Kaoss for effects on a couple tracks. I use Reaper at the very end to record what i've sequenced/playing live on the MV or SP, and add a little EQ/compression there.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:39 pm

blavatsky wrote:thanks guys - really appreciate the feedback
I'm a big fan of hardware - usually its the roland SP555 and SP505, but i just got an MV8800 and that was the workhorse on this one. It has a VGA monitor and mouse though so the workflow is really nice, but you still have the hardware feel and nice roland effects, etc. I used some KP3 and Kaoss for effects on a couple tracks. I use Reaper at the very end to record what i've sequenced/playing live on the MV or SP, and add a little EQ/compression there.

Okay cool, thank you for the insight. I've been considering getting a Maschine to use as a sampler. I've not seen an MV8800 in person before, I'll have to see if I can track one down and try it out.

Again, you've definitely got a great sound here with this - please continue to post new releases in the future, I'd love to hear more!