Skrillex in next week's Rolling Stone (11/10/11)

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Skrillex in next week's Rolling Stone (11/10/11)

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Read it online here. Not that Rolling Stone has been a music magazine for the last 30 years...

I liked how he mentions that although dubstep is considered hot right now, it still gets no US radio play.

Extra points for brostep reference.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Skrillex in next week's Rolling Stone (11/10/11)

Post by Yoozer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Extra points for pointing out whining on forums :mrgreen:
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:00 am

Haha, skrillex's own little quotes about the forums is funny.

"I never really even hear these views, mainly because I don't have much time for the internet," he says. "I go to shows and all I see is love. I didn't even know people had an issue until someone said: 'Oh, this and that forum seem to have a real problem with you.'"

by the way that doors/skrillex thing.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:53 am

meatballfulton wrote:I liked how he mentions that although dubstep is considered hot right now, it still gets no US radio play.
Just like how metal has been one of the most popular forms of music in the US for the last 30 years and gets no radio airplay.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:I liked how he mentions that although dubstep is considered hot right now, it still gets no US radio play.
Just like how metal has been one of the most popular forms of music in the US for the last 30 years and gets no radio airplay.
I'm pretty sure I've heard a Pantera song used as a bed one time.
Do you even post on vse bro?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:38 am

Metal gets all kinds of radio play in the us. Wmmr(I think) has manditory metalica where they devote a solid chunk of time for just metalica. I can't get away from tool and rage against the maschine, let alone AC/DC. I hear whitesnake every time I go to a bar, black Sabbath'NIB, etc.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 am

ninja6485 wrote:Metal gets all kinds of radio play in the us. Wmmr(I think) has manditory metalica where they devote a solid chunk of time for just metalica. I can't get away from tool and rage against the maschine, let alone AC/DC. I hear whitesnake every time I go to a bar, black Sabbath'NIB, etc.
Hard rock ≠ Metal

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:16 am

i only listen to the radio when i switch cars and forget to bring a cd or ipod, but some metal does get airplay around here. long as it's relatively mainstream and popular. metallica are awful, but they're metal. megadeth. rap metal or whatever the h**l it is, like korn and limp bizkit and c**p like that. other c**p like slipknot. alice in chains are considered metal. tool are prog metal.

i'm not sure i've ever heard some of the few other metal acts i dig on the radio, but i wouldn't be surprised if it happens, acts like mastodon, the sword... doubt acts like pig destroyer ever do aside from college stations though...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:38 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Metal gets all kinds of radio play in the us. Wmmr(I think) has manditory metalica where they devote a solid chunk of time for just metalica. I can't get away from tool and rage against the maschine, let alone AC/DC. I hear whitesnake every time I go to a bar, black Sabbath'NIB, etc.

Stab already pointed out that none of this equates to "metal" per se; 'MMR are just like any other Clear Channel owned rock station. They have their rotating playlist designed specifically for 30-40y.o.s working crappy jobs that necessitate having the radio on all day. And apparently these listeners have very short term memories (or the station managers do...) Commercial radio in the US in general is a complete joke and has been for some time - the FCC is a complete farce, and basically a pawn of the 2 or 3 radio station owning monopolies.
Do you even post on vse bro?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: Just like how metal has been one of the most popular forms of music in the US for the last 30 years and gets no radio airplay.
Underground metal maybe (aint that why it's underground? ;) ), but there's a local station here in Boston that's been cranking plenty of commercial metal out the yingyang for the last 30 years.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:25 am

Black sabbath is the platonic form of metal. period. there's nothing aweful about kill em all, ride the lightening, or master of pupets: if you don't like the genre, you don't like the genre...Most classic metal fans consider AC/DC a metal band dispite what the tv tells them. whitesnake has many non-metal songs, but they have some metal songs as well. you can play young blood right next to ozzy, great white or savatage and it fits right in. anyway, these are just stupid arbitrary examples. i could have just as easily said priest, ozzy, slayer, dio (especially after his death), motorhead, the scorpions, etc. it's all still played, at least here in PA. i just wish they would play metal gods a lot less, and rock hard ride free a lot more.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:30 am

Sir Ruff wrote:

Stab already pointed out that none of this equates to "metal" per se; 'MMR are just like any other Clear Channel owned rock station. They have their rotating playlist designed specifically for 30-40y.o.s working crappy jobs that necessitate having the radio on all day. And apparently these listeners have very short term memories (or the station managers do...) Commercial radio in the US in general is a complete joke and has been for some time - the FCC is a complete farce, and basically a pawn of the 2 or 3 radio station owning monopolies.
That's because commercial radio stations are in the business of selling advertising airtime, not in the business of entertaining people. It's pretty much the same the world over, the only reason a commercial radio station happens to have anything that might happen to be entertaining on it is to get their listener ratings up so that they can charge more for ads. That's why they aim for/cater to the lowest common denominator.

Desiderium

Post by Desiderium » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:51 am

skrillex wrote:There will come a time when it will be watered down and sensationalized like everything else.That's not a bad thing, every type of music goes through that.
So this isn't the height of watered down commercial dubstep? You mean it can actually get worse than this?

delusional f**k moron....

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:19 am

I don't like dubstep or Skrillex's music. Plus I don't listen to the radio, so if dub was ever on there I wouldn't be hearing it. (Which is fine by me :D)

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: Just like how metal has been one of the most popular forms of music in the US for the last 30 years and gets no radio airplay.
Underground metal maybe (aint that why it's underground? ;) ), but there's a local station here in Boston that's been cranking plenty of commercial metal out the yingyang for the last 30 years.
Dear God, WAAF makes me want to die.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman