Skrillex in next week's Rolling Stone (11/10/11)

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Re: Skrillex in next week's Rolling Stone (11/10/11)

Post by jeffrey1121 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:33 pm

i don't care much for skrillex, but i don't hate him or think dubstep as a genre isn't shitty.

i think the reason many people don't like skrillex is:

1. he looks like an emo.
2. he doesn't use any hardware synths in his setup.
3. he well-known because he can do one sound/idea well. (the dubstep or 'rusko' bass)
4. he popularized a much much less subtle and nuanced form of dubstep.
5. he proliferates the idea that all electronic musicians are talentless weirdos ( :? ok i'm really grasping at straws here)

anyone else have any theories....?

i really would like some insight into this

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 pm

jeffrey1121 wrote:i don't care much for skrillex, but i don't hate him or think dubstep as a genre isn't shitty.

i think the reason many people don't like skrillex is:

1. he looks like an emo.
2. he doesn't use any hardware synths in his setup.
3. he well-known because he can do one sound/idea well. (the dubstep or 'rusko' bass)
4. he popularized a much much less subtle and nuanced form of dubstep.
5. he proliferates the idea that all electronic musicians are talentless weirdos ( :? ok i'm really grasping at straws here)

anyone else have any theories....?

i really would like some insight into this
1. Okay.
2. So?
3. Probably...But that could be applied to ALOT of musical acts.
4. Sure...
5. Exactly How?
ninja6485 wrote:Black sabbath is the platonic form of metal. period.
What? :? Given that most metal (as in METAL, not "the formerly-categorized metal band [insert group here]") bands qualify Sabbath as one or THE one major influence, I'm calling bullshit on that one.

When I think metal, I think s**t that DOES NOT get airplay anywhere on the airwaves. The shite played on the radio is not. I don't hear at any point any radio station (other than sirius/xm) playing stuff that's CURRENT metal. I know for a fact that no station I've heard on the analog airwaves will play anything but "safe" stuff.
Sir Ruff wrote:Commercial radio in the US in general is a complete joke and has been for some time - the FCC is a complete farce, and basically a pawn of the 2 or 3 radio station owning monopolies.
Complete agreement. :D

I also recall seeing something similar to the sort of refrain from people when Prodigy blew up back in the 90's with Fat of the Land. "Prodigy sold out, it's rubbish, c**k and bollocks, etc..." (I still blast that album at times)

I'm personally enjoying the resurgence of electronica (regardless of whether I like it or not) in mainstream venues (although Korn bastardized the f**k out of it, but that's just my useless opinion); I think it's a good thing for electronic music as a whole in the sense that a smaller percentage of those that glom onto brostep will start exploring deeper into different electronic genres out there, and as a result hopefully more artists who are already creating electronica will find a new audience and result in new (good or bad) albums.

It's a win, in my book. :)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Miles Powerhouse

Post by Miles Powerhouse » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:51 am

Skrillex is ok in my book. He feels like an insult to electronic musicians because:
  • He makes music on laptop with Beats headphones.
  • "All I need is a laptop, really." - Skrillex
  • I've never heard so much hate about Skrillex, real and stupid reasons. Find me more than 7 forums with threads deticated to hating Justice, Daft Punk, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, or Prodigy (bonus for one bashing Kraftwerk :lol: ).
  • The rumors that other producers contribute to about 70% or more of his tracks. I'm not saying I believe them, but I'm not saying it's not true either.
  • Live shows are boring. Press play, walk away. And when he screws up, he actually announces it to the crowd and they cheer!
But to be honest, I love some of his music. I hate the guy himself though. And he is friggin short!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:32 am

What's wrong with using just a laptop. It's all I use too.

It's not about what you've got it's about what you do with it ;).

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:32 pm

jeffrey1121 wrote:i don't [...] think dubstep as a genre isn't shitty.
+1

:lol: ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:59 pm

silikon wrote: I don't hear at any point any radio station (other than sirius/xm) playing stuff that's CURRENT metal. I know for a fact that no station I've heard on the analog airwaves will play anything but "safe" stuff.
Are you including all the college stations? Commercial stations, sure.

I'm not a metal fan but I've heard non-mainstream metal aired on the Boston college stations.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:17 pm

Boston is bananas. I used to listen to college stations in the various places I have called home over the years, and without exception I would have to say none played metal, even on the off hours. I tried to get a one hour spot eons ago at the community radio station to play certain music - industrial and black metal to be exact - and got zero support.

But I was speaking mainly about commercial stations.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 pm

well praise the lord for St. Patrick and the Iron Horse Cafe on KEOS in smallish town, Texas!

he plays good metal every friday from 11pm-1am - makes for a perfect friday night cruisin soundtrack.

support community radio!!!