synth pop original...

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
Jaxamillian

synth pop original...

Post by Jaxamillian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 am

I hope you find something interesting or moving about it. its about luana

http://soundcloud.com/justin-amos/luana

Any impressions, tips or tricks are appreciated

optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Re: synth pop original...

Post by optimus prime » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:03 am

I commented to a few tracks you posted earlier, and I have the same remark every time - the vocals are too loud.

Same thing here, they really drown everything else out. Hope you don't think I'm some kind of weirdo stalker, commenting the same thing on all your tracks. Everything else is really good, maybe a different EQ on the vocals (less highs, more mids) would also be an improvement.

All in all, good work.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:15 am

Yeah turn the vox down. At their current volume level you can hear way too much reverb trail, mix sounds a bit incohesive etc.

The drums especially shouldn't be buried under the vox.

Nice song and like the layering of harmonies during the chorus. Even if sometimes it sounds like you're not really "Committing" to the take occasionally.

Jaxamillian

Post by Jaxamillian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:21 am

Optimus, not at all man, I appreciate the tips you give me. Mixing is hard for me, especially after listening/recording for a few hours.

Thanks for listening guys.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:49 am

I'm really digging the melody and progression. Excellent work.

I would have the same to say about the production stuff. There is a lack of definition with the separate parts. I would attribute this to the fact that a lot of your synth tracks seem to be in the same octave range, which can cause some masking. It sounds a bit mid-rangy to me without a lot of definition in the highs. Almost every instrument has a fundamental frequency between 250-600 hz, this is where a lot of mid range mud comes from in a lot of mixes. You could try rolling back some of those frequencies on individual tracks to tighten things up a bit.

You could try transposing a track or two up or down an octave to create some frequency separation, or you can always create some separation with some proper EQing. It does feel like it needs some sparkle though, maybe a pad in the higher register would be a nice touch. Maybe some more hi hats too? Just a couple suggestions.

Keep up the good work though.

mute

Post by mute » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Good stuff man. I could add to the mastering/mixing comments but I'll leave that to others.. I think your song writing talent and singing still shows.. if you could buckle down on the final mix, you'd be set.