VINYL RECORDS

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

VINYL RECORDS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:00 am

I was wondering how many of you analog syth lovers also enjoy analog music (i.e. vinyl records).

I've just discovered the format myself...and for the past few months have been buying some nice film soundtrack music. Check out my YouTube channel for my video: http://www.youtube.com/user/DIGITALSCREAMS

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Re: VINYL RECORDS

Post by Voodoo Ray » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:07 am

I've bought about 4 this month.
Last edited by Voodoo Ray on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:14 am

whenever i like a recording i get it on vinyl if i can. haven't counted but bet i have somewhere around 500. vinyl's also my favorite thing to sample from. well, vinyl & my 7" reel to reel. :ugeek:

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:45 am

My most recent "vinyl" purchases.

The free one is some kind of Columbia Record Club promo of Dave Brubeck.

The little one is a Little Wonder 5 inch record from 1914 or so.

BerlinRain

Post by BerlinRain » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Yeh I love vinyl - got into it when I really liked The Jam and bought all their records I could find and loved it ever since ive got some ones that I'll take to my grave I'm sure - love the feel, the sound, the smell, everything is lovely ^^ bought some modern vinyl and had a lot of trouble with them skipping right out the cellophane though so I tend to focus on when they were the common format. Dunno of its cause it's cheaper made now? I got three copies of the same single and had to take them back because they skipped so much it was unplayable -.-

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:14 am

I have a Crosley turntable that has typical retro-typing styling but has the ability to actually rip records using audacity.

while i have used this to sample records for my music before, I will NEVER use it to replace the records......I f**k love the scratchiness of them coupled with the music sounding having much, much more clarity and warmth. I also love the delicate process of loading records onto and off of the turntable (which some people would find annoying) and dropping a needle into a groove. ever get excited when you drop it perfectly into the groove? i do! i usually shout something like PERFECT DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I don't have a lot of records though--maybe 50--and a handful of them were my parents before mine. But i have many of the ones you just gotta have on record: Legend, the Stranger, Heavy Weather, Queen's Greatest hits, several Beatles and some stones and at least half a dozen jazz records (mostly dixieland) to name a few.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:08 pm

I started collecting vinyl again about a year ago, and have about 400 now, including 12" singles.

I've learned alot about cleaning records, what causes distortion, what kind of stylus to get, how to calibrate the stylus and arm, and how much it sucks to buy vinyl on ebay. It's mostly been a huge exercise in frustration, but I'm happy to have what I have now, and do enjoy hearing vinyl sitting next to my studio monitors or playing along with one of my synths. If it's noisy vinyl, it still sounds great from the next room. Much more dynamic and round than a CD.

Seconded on newer manufactured pressings of vinyl not usually being as good. That whole 180-200 gram thing doesn't actually make for better quality sound, just a bit more longetivity. Alot of the newer pressings sound cold, flat and dull, and are sometimes warped or have too high surface noise. Then chances are good if the album is an original pressing and a classic, if you want it in even halfway listenable condition, it's going to cost alot. Then I found out some classic albums have different masters and typically only one of those sounds any good. Plus I'm told only the first or second production run are worth having if you want quality sound, and if they used too much recycled vinyl materials when pressed, it's going to be ruined after only a few plays. Don't even get me started about trying to find reliable sellers on ebay who actually play-grade or at least care about what they are selling. It's alot of money and research if you're trying to build a nice collection these days.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:15 pm

New, or at least 90's trance/ house, w/e vinyls seem to be fairly decent. I mostly have classic vinyl though. Discogs.com is way better than ebay imo. Especially since sellers will cut you a deal when you buy multiple items. That, and you can brows what's for sale based on the release which makes it a bit easier to find first pressings. Any more I've been buying anything that looks good from the dollar bins at conventions and local record stores. Mostly jazz fusion. I'm not sure how much wax I've accumulated, but I'm satisfied with most of the dollar bin records (My primary goal with them is sampling, but i got hooked on the music). Practically none of them skip! As a side note, I have a usb turntable as well, but I seem to get a better recording from the stereo out into my h4n then the usb. The usb is noisy and prone to errors.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...