Yamaha SY-1

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Yamaha SY-1

Post by antilles » Sat May 12, 2012 11:28 pm

I've made a couple of multitracked songs with the Yamaha SY-1.

I think the SY-1 is a great synth. It's very underrated synth for being a preset synth, but there's plenty of programmability to shape the sound and the aftertouch is just awesome.

Hope you enjoy it!

georgemarauder

Re: Yamaha SY-1

Post by georgemarauder » Sun May 13, 2012 5:03 am

Wow. Winter is awesome. Love it a lot. Good work.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun May 13, 2012 12:31 pm

I don't think I've heard one of these before - nice work. Thanks for sharing.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:07 pm

*GREAT* track, thanks for sharing! reminds me of something off kitaro's oasis.
we're selling an sy-1 - if anyones interested, email me directly at minime123 at onebox dot com.
thanks
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

polyjuno
Gear: Bass Station 2
Juno-6
Roland TR-606, Yamaha RX11
Fender Telecaster

Post by polyjuno » Tue May 15, 2012 8:03 pm

SY-1 sounds really nice! :) Great to finally hear some proper songs made with it. It can do much more than I anticipated :P

I especially liked Winter, but there are some really nice sounds on the other one as well.

DanDerMann

Post by DanDerMann » Wed May 16, 2012 7:19 pm

minime123 wrote:*GREAT* track, thanks for sharing! reminds me of something off kitaro's oasis.
we're selling an sy-1 - if anyones interested, email me directly at minime123 at onebox dot com.
thanks
mini

That's it now mate...ask ridiculous price for it...I know your shop...everything you sell is VEEEEERY expensive!
WOULD NEVER BUY FROM YOU! YOU are taking the Mickey!

DanDerMann

Post by DanDerMann » Wed May 16, 2012 7:29 pm

minime123 wrote:*GREAT* track, thanks for sharing! reminds me of something off kitaro's oasis.
thanks
mini
Every time I have a look at your website you are out of stock! But almost every item is available soon, is like you would have collected all the synths in the world and restoring them one by one and selling them...what a joker!

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed May 16, 2012 8:34 pm

DanDerMann wrote:...what a joker!
If I were you I'd watch your words. Don't come here and start making such statements with only a handful of posts and no direct experience of Mini's (actually excellent) service and sales record. Consider yourself advised the mods don't take kindly to this kind of thing.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed May 16, 2012 9:06 pm

DanDerMann wrote:
thanks
mini

That's it now mate...ask ridiculous price for it...I know your shop...everything you sell is VEEEEERY expensive!
WOULD NEVER BUY FROM YOU! YOU are taking the Mickey!
Mini - please don't spam threads. Period.

DanDerMann, consider this you're only warning: should you fail to follow the rules in any forum here or continue to act like a rude POS, you will be banned.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

groy

Post by groy » Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 pm

lame this got derailed because this post is fantastic. informative and sounds great, so thank you. i love hearing the single-synth demos and songs people make here.

_dan

Post by _dan » Wed May 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Love This!! Thank you!! :D
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 am

The only synth I regret selling. Got it locally for $200 absolutely mint with cover and manual. The reason for selling it was so stupid. I'd gotten my first modular so I sold all my monosynths :cry: . I figured I could just patch everything :lol: . At least I made 4x the purchase price on it.

Haven't bought a few vintage monos synth but there's no way I'd pay the current going rate (800-1200) for a fully working one. For that price I'd pay a little more or double and just buy a CS50. I have an Arp Pro Soloist that is similar and fantastic but the SY-1 has its own thing going.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu May 17, 2012 7:50 am

I love the sound of this synth. When I heard the first demo clips on youtube I always thought there was something special about its character, but the clips themselves left hardly anyone convinced. Glad to see the SY's getting used properly (there are a couple of other more recent clips on youtube that are great as well).

Excellent music. Thank you for uploading and linking.

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks. I love the challenge of working with limitations. Making a tune out of the SY-1, was a great challange as it's monophonic, has no midi or cv/gate and is somewhat limited in programmability. All the more fun.

Fortunately in Denmark, it's still possible to buy vintage synths at reasonable prices. I paid 190 euro for this one.

The Roland SH-1000 and SH-2000 seems to be more popular, all though i find the SY-1 far superior in sound, programmability, expression and keyboard quality.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu May 17, 2012 11:35 am

I think preset monos have been under-rated for a long time, so it's nice to see one getting some love. Maybe the Roland SH-1000/2000 are more widely known, along with the ARPs, but I like the simplicity of these preset machines. The patches on my Teisco S-100p sound like nothing I'd ever create myself, and it has great aftertouch and a flanger and reverb onboard - couldn't say that about the SH-09 I had, which dated from about the same period. The Teisco often surprises me in ways the SH didn't. I've got two, and thought about modding one with a "user-definable" preset - a break-out box with a few pots and switches on, or something - but it just didn't seem to be worth the effort. I just flip the Tuba switch and go...