Examples of great mixing and mastering?

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Examples of great mixing and mastering?

Post by portland » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:08 pm

I got Scritti Politti - Provision on cd and it's probably one of the best-mixed and best-mastered albums I've ever heard. I accept that their pop sound may not be for everyone, but the awesome dynamic range of the TX816 layers with those tiny reverbs is amazing. I use this as a test cd when I'm doing live audio just because it's so exciting to hear it loud.

Any recommendations for other albums of this quality? What comes to mind when you think about great mixing and mastering?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Examples of great mixing and mastering?

Post by tekkentool » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:01 am

portland wrote:I got Scritti Politti - Provision on cd and it's probably one of the best-mixed and best-mastered albums I've ever heard.
:?

Anyway current favourites.

Bit of a wild card here but I always liked the way each element in this mix is so ridiculously thin that it comes together to make a cohesive whole very well (Listen to that piano and the nasal hammond organ).

Come at me, Listen to this on a nice set of speakers and tell me it isn't impressive sonically. This thing is huge.

sonicboomboy

Post by sonicboomboy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:29 pm

I'll give Scritti Politti a listen as I don't know them, working on FM synthesis myself.
Might not be your thing, but 3 years later, using Soundtools on a PC in 1992: U.F.Orb by The Orb .. incredible production/engineering, and its got the dynamic range from yesteryear; no brick walling, not even normalised, absolute perfection.
EDIT: Also gotta give credit to the likes of Skrillex and KTN for insane modern production .. aside from being a few decades apart; comparing Scritti Politti to Skrillex is like music from two different universes, both fantastic, but erm slightly different.
Synths: Jupiter 6, Juno 106, MC-202, SCI Sixtrak, Matrix 1000, Waldorf Pulse, DX7 etc
www.flitemedia.com/studio
soundcloud.com/flitemusic
soundcloud.com/osclab

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Ya that's a fantastic album, but you've some misinformation there I'm afraid. On U.F.Orb Soundtools was what they transferred DATs to when they wanted to edit several hours of improv done with stacks of maxed out Akai S1000 and a well equipped studio with SSL series E (probably), Lexicons, Eventides and they apparently loved that Yamaha analogue delay as well. I've an old copy of Music Tech magazine from that time, detailing all of that. Guess I should scan it when I have a spare nanosecond! :lol:

And Soundtools was Mac only- enabled by the NuBus slots.

Anyways, Bob Katz's Honor Roll is a list of notable recordings, bit of a US bias though:
http://www.digido.com/media/honor-roll.html

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Rush - Power Windows
Propaganda - A Secret Wish
Data - Elegant Machinery

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:21 pm

iProg wrote:Propaganda - A Secret Wish
Yes! Absolutely stunning album. Incredible work by Steve Lipson, and I would also add most of the stuff produced by Trevor Horn, FGTH etc..

Some random favourites:

"Thomas Leer - The Scale Of Ten", a great production and awesome album with no filler, at least I think so. I love it.

"Kim Wilde - Close", great sounding, well produced album with many strong tracks.

"The Source Experience - Different Journeys", one of my favourite techno albums!

spektRe

Post by spektRe » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:42 pm

shpongle - nothing lasts...but nothing is lost

carbon based lifeforms - interloper

artifakt ‎– artifakts ii

shulman ‎– in search of a meaningful moment