Rei Harakami, best user of the SC-88 pro

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Rei Harakami, best user of the SC-88 pro

Post by dustinh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:24 pm

I don't know how many of you know about Rei Harakami, but he is probably my favorite electronic artist of all time. He made virtually everything soley on the Roland sc-88 pro and a multitrack recorder. The SC-88 pro can be had for $100. What he could do with this rompler was incredible. He died very tragically and suddenly last year from a cerebral hemorrhage. I was very devastated when I found out about it, but he will live on with the amazing music he left behind.

_dan

Re: Rei Harakami, best user of the SC-88 pro

Post by _dan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 am

very nice!!
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

Jikodis

Post by Jikodis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Does anyone know which patches and effects Harakami used on his music from the SC-88? I know there is a ton of delay, reverb, and panning. He seemed to have a few go to sounds that I would love to play with. I LOVE his music. One of my main electronic influences. I actually bought an SK-88 because of him. I would just love to know how he got those sounds whether that meant that he had more external effects of what not.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:07 am

I wish I knew myself. I do know that he used one or two roland vs series multitrack workstations. I'm pretty sure he used the vs-2000. Here is an interview where he talks gear, unfortunately it's all in japanese though. http://www.mc-club.ne.jp/interview/rei_harakami/

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:57 am

I'd not heard of him before this thread, but that track was great. It's sad he passed. Thanks for sharing it.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:00 am

Nice, definitely feels like someone getting creative with limited resources!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:50 pm

The SC-88 was a GM module that supports Roland's GS extensions. GS and Yamaha's XG were both attempts to go beyond the basic GM soundset by letting you program variations on the presets. Some editing was possible from the front panel but editor software was also available. Deep editing is not possible, merely "variations" on presets. You can however tweak the TVA and TVF settings (including EGs and LFOs) as well effects, but you can't do basic things like choose the waveforms.

The SC88 sound engine is probably related to the last generation JV engine as it was produced concurrently with the JV2080. Unusually it supported 32 channels of MIDI over two ports...GM itself only allows for 16 parts.

Sound On Sound Review

Electronic Musician review

Wikipedia entry about GS

Manual for a third party GS editor that shows what can and cannot be edited.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

simesky
Band: United Simesky Institutes

Post by simesky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:15 am

Superb electro vibes here, the music oozes with silky beats ! So nice to discover him...Thanks !

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Great music, it's amazing what people can do with the SC engine back days. It's one of my favorite rompler. Used to collect so many midi files, just to enjoy great music using the MC-80ex (built-in SC-88pro engine). Still lusting for the SC-880 sometimes.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

dustinh

Post by dustinh » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:13 pm

I can't get over his unique composition style and how he was able to do so much with just one cheap little unit. I think he used up to 3 of them for the sake of easier multitracking, but still!

He used a lot of interesting jazz-like chords in a lot of his stuff, and he also composed in a lot of different time signatures that I have a hard time wrapping my head around sometimes.

Jikodis

Post by Jikodis » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:29 am

Jikodis wrote:Does anyone know which patches and effects Harakami used on his music from the SC-88? I know there is a ton of delay, reverb, and panning. He seemed to have a few go to sounds that I would love to play with. I LOVE his music. One of my main electronic influences. I actually bought an SK-88 because of him. I would just love to know how he got those sounds whether that meant that he had more external effects of what not.
Okay, answering my own question at least with one patch. From listening to this YouTube video, it seemed he definitely used E.Piano 1 with Delay. That sound is spot on!

intonare

Post by intonare » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks for singing his praises, as I was completely unaware. Just discovered this thread while researching attributes of the SC-88Pro and SC-880, only to be turned on to an artist of amazing ability. Thanks again.