New Spectralis video (Roland TB-303 sound)

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
acemonvw

New Spectralis video (Roland TB-303 sound)

Post by acemonvw » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Hey guys,

Looking for some feedback on:

1) General sound of the piece (it's not really a complete song)

2) Feedback on sound design for a roland TB-303 sound. Someone on the RT forum wanted me to create a tutorial on how to 'get that sound.' I don't have a TB-303, so I did the best I could to come up with a similar sound. It's not about replacing the TB-303 (being a unique, sought after synth), but rather, helping out others who want to get a similar sound with the gear they already have. Any feedback would be appreciated. (Note that an obvious difference between the two synths is that the spectralis has a 24dB and a 12dB filter, the 303 has an 18dB filter, The spectralis's 24dB filter doesn't open all the way [a known issue], so I used the 12dB).

Thanks guys! Enjoy!!!! :D

Jay200MPH
Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Re: New Spectralis video (Roland TB-303 sound)

Post by Jay200MPH » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 pm

Very, very cool. Love the acid sound you've got going. It doesn't sound 100% exactly like a 303 and that's not a bad thing at all, there's definitely room in the style for more than what one little box from 1983 could do! I'm almost hearing a bit of SID vibe coming through (the high parts around 4:50 for example.)

Did you do all parts on the Spectralis? I don't know much about them but I think it's an instrument I need to check out. :D

acemonvw

Post by acemonvw » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Jay200MPH wrote:Very, very cool. Love the acid sound you've got going. It doesn't sound 100% exactly like a 303 and that's not a bad thing at all, there's definitely room in the style for more than what one little box from 1983 could do! I'm almost hearing a bit of SID vibe coming through (the high parts around 4:50 for example.)

Did you do all parts on the Spectralis? I don't know much about them but I think it's an instrument I need to check out. :D
Hey, thanks Jay200MPH,

I believe I did something more 'acid' than strictly 'TB-303' but I'm not entirely well versed in either!

I think the high parts around 4:50 are two oscillators going through the fixed filterbank... but I'm not entirely sure.

Everything definitely came from the Spectralis! Here's how the sounds break down:

Drums: Sampled sounds (stock from Radikal technologies). Basically, you have 11 individual sequencer lines for these (they can be uniquely edited, but not worth saying much more here).

The spectralis has 4 oscillators that can be routed to the 24dB LP filter, the 12dB MM filter, or the Fixed Filterbank.

I had VCO1 (oscillator 1) going through the 12dB MM filter (hence why it sounds different than the TB-303). I REALLY wish I could've added some 'crush' effect to the sound to add some grit-factor, but forgot to do that.

VCO2 was routed through the 24dB LP filter

VCO3 and 4 were routed through the Fixed filterbank.

From there, I just created monophonic sequencer lines and just messed around with the cutoffs/volumes and other things.

Pretty awesome machine, in my opinion!

If you have other questions about it, would be happy to answer them! :D :D

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:17 am

Sounds good, sounds like a spectralis, which I think is way cooler then a 303 ;-)

The 303 sound is pretty good though, doesnt sound as squelchy obviously, but I dont think you can really get that on the speck.

Nice video though, and tune, makes me miss my spectralis more.

acemonvw

Post by acemonvw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks n3wt15.

Yeah, I would argue you could do a lot more with a Spectralis than you could with a 303, but then again... I don't have one so don't really know what it's entirely capable of!

I sorta wish I had a 303 in front of me to really test out how close I could get to the sound. It seems the "best" 303 videos on youtube are just of people playing using the camera mics, so I don't really think I get a good feel for its sound.

Thanks for your kind words.

Every piece of gear I get rid of, I end up missing (Korg Radias and Oberheim Matrix). I think I'm stuck with the spectralis! :lol: