Nostalgic (dreamy synth/guitar track)

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
polyjuno
Gear: Bass Station 2
Juno-6
Roland TR-606, Yamaha RX11
Fender Telecaster

Nostalgic (dreamy synth/guitar track)

Post by polyjuno » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm

I finished this track today (at least for now, I'll see if I'll fix it up / polish it some more). It's an attempt at a kind of dreamy sort of 80s inspired sound with lots of reverb and ringing guitar notes. I'm note quite happy with the result, as I feel it sometimes becomes a bit too messy. That's usually my problem; I add too many bits and it becomes a mess. Anyways, let me know what you think!

FrankenZappa

Re: Nostalgic (dreamy synth/guitar track)

Post by FrankenZappa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:02 pm

It sounds nice!
Its a little straight forward and predictable though so it doesn't have to be that long. A few transient elements littered through the track would help it in a big way.

polyjuno
Juno-6
Fender Telecaster

Post by polyjuno » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks :) I agree that it drags on a bit. I have tried to add different stuff in the parts consisting only of those pad swells, but I can't come up with anything interesting (I guess I'm too set on it being the way it is now and not thinking fresh about it). What do you mean by transient elements?

briandc
Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Nice!
I like the sounds you choose to mix together. I think there is room for a lead sound on top.. maybe a monosynth patch, or vocals, or whatever.
The bass is certainly uplifting, imo.

What inspired this piece? Is it meant to express something in particular?

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

polyjuno
Juno-6
Fender Telecaster

Post by polyjuno » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks for listening! I'm no good singer and I don't have any equipment for it, so vocals are out of the picture (but the song is structured like a typical song with verses and a sort of chorus, so I think some kind of dreamy vocals could fit in).

I was inspired when I got in this nostalgic mood thinking about past summers and how things used to be etc. (pretty cliché, I know :P) Don't know how well that's actually reflected in the music though. It's certainly uplifting, but at the same time I wanted it to also have a kind of sad and longing undertone.

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr
Band: Romannis Mötte

Post by Romannis1972 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:28 pm

Awesome stuff man! I've always dug this kinda style. I still hear that Turning Shrines sound haha... Not that your music sounds EXACTLY like it, but it's in the ballpark of each other.

Great work!!

briandc

Post by briandc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 pm

polyjuno wrote:Thanks for listening! I'm no good singer and I don't have any equipment for it, so vocals are out of the picture (but the song is structured like a typical song with verses and a sort of chorus, so I think some kind of dreamy vocals could fit in).

I was inspired when I got in this nostalgic mood thinking about past summers and how things used to be etc. (pretty cliché, I know :P) Don't know how well that's actually reflected in the music though. It's certainly uplifting, but at the same time I wanted it to also have a kind of sad and longing undertone.
Nostalgia is useful for everyone, I think.. ;)

To add a "sad" tone, try using a slow sound that has a slow LFO pitch modulation (not too deep). I've been making lots of sounds with that effect lately, and they're kind of nice to use.
I'd love to hear a second version if you make one! :)

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:28 pm

That's nice!

I imagine Molly Ringwald and (insert name of boyfriend in movie here) walking off into the sunset at the end of a John Hughes film, circa 1988, going along with this music.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

polyjuno
Juno-6
Fender Telecaster

Post by polyjuno » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Haha, thanks! :) I think that actually describes pretty well what I was picturing though.

@briandc: Thank you for the advice, I'll try to either do something with the song structure or add something new to make it more interesting.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:16 pm

=D>

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:18 pm

polyjuno wrote:Haha, thanks! :) I think that actually describes pretty well what I was picturing though.
That's great! The Fairlight I have has some system disks with the name Gary Chang as the user on them - Gary was the guy that wrote some of the incidental music for the Breakfast Club soundtrack.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

polyjuno
Juno-6
Fender Telecaster

Post by polyjuno » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 pm

Wow, that's awesome! What's on the disks?

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:30 pm

=D> kinda like the chameleons a bit.

polyjuno
Juno-6
Fender Telecaster

Post by polyjuno » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks! :) The Chameleons are awesome, they've been (together with other post punk / new wave bands) a huge influence. I feel like I'm just copying 80s stuff now though, I'm still trying to find my own sound.

briandc

Post by briandc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am

polyjuno wrote:Thanks! :) The Chameleons are awesome, they've been (together with other post punk / new wave bands) a huge influence. I feel like I'm just copying 80s stuff now though, I'm still trying to find my own sound.
Perhaps your own sound/feel will come by using a synth sound that's a bit unusual. Lots of the 80's stuff, although synthesized, is very similar. But synths (as you probably already know) are able to do a whole lot more. If you find a sound that you really like, it might inspire a whole new genre. I'm interested in doing the same thing. For example, I've come across a type of "oboe" sound that's really unusual, and a drone sound that's really strange. And some sounds that are quite similar to guitar (electric and distorted) that would accompany just fine. Synths are a whole separate world, and haven't really even been explored yet, imo.

Here's an example of the oboe-sound (the lead) together with a couple of background synth sounds:

On The Promenade

The style might be likeable or not, but you get the idea..

brian
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud