Give me some feedback!!!!

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:07 pm

New Varier track "Kalevala"

I can give the breakdown part by part if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

User avatar
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1568
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:08 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:08 am

I hear male vocals with lots of delay. Sounds like someone's record. Nice work.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm planning in getting vocals into my tracks soon. It's the next phase fr sure. I appreciate the feedback griffen!

User avatar
optimus prime
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 12:33 am
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by optimus prime » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Here's a few (not too pleasant, sorry) thoughts:

I think this track is a bit too long, you could cut the intro in half, and generally speaking the "slow-burning" parts are kinda dull

I preferred your earlier style, the lo-fi stuff you did while your were still rocking a Mirage, this direction is a bit too future-poppy and somewhat middle-of-the-road musically, there's not much adventure in pentatonic land

The production style is nicely gritty though, I wish there were more musical thrills

I know this is a bit harsh, but you asked for it.

User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks for the opinions Optimus. No worries. I've had quite a few people say similar things. I was doing the synthpop thing before it blew up for the 2nd time I suppose. I still love that stuff, but I'm trying new things. It's certainly a personal journey to see what my strengths and weaknesses are.

I can agree with you on it getting dull near the middle. I'm still learning composition for dancier type music. I find it very difficult to hold back to the minimalism that I hear in today's Progressive House, and Techno stuff. Very repetitious and unchanging.

I appreciate the comment on the production! I've been having a lot of fun with that :). I still write lo-fi weirder stuff, but I don't put it anywhere. Perhaps I should.

User avatar
sfxgligli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:36 pm
Real name: Fabrice
Gear: SCI Prophet 600 with p600fw
Yamaha RX5 with rx5usb
Korg Mono/Poly
SCI SixTrak
MFB-522
Ibanez UE-405
Fostex Model 80
Location: France, near Lyon

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by sfxgligli » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Hello, just listened to your spotlight tracks one more time, my first listen a few days ago was on crappy headphones at low volume, so it didn't really shine... I'm now listening on my monitors, and damn it's something else :)

I really like the first 3 ones (Kalevala/Sentinel/Thin Air), imo they are energetic, entrancing, great (FM ?) basses and I like all the little things you add to keep it interesting for 5+ minutes !

If I can add a little critique, I'd say the sound is close to a tape recorder, but it doesn't sound as "real" (to reel ^^) to my ears, or maybe a little forced, I don't know...
My music: http://soundcloud.com/gligli
My SCI Prophet 600 firmware upgrade: http://gligli.github.io/p600fw/
My Yamaha RX5 programmable waveform cartridge: http://github.com/gligli/rx5usb

User avatar
_dan
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by _dan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:25 pm

I hate to sound like a fanboy but I really enjoy the way you fill soundscapes on more than a few of your tracks. There is a consistency there that I think lends to an identity as an artist. The name of the track implies something deeper or a more grand undertaking (if it is referring to what wikipedia calls up when searching for Kalevala). Normally I lean towards believing that the intention of the artist takes a back seat to the perception of the person experiencing it, but because I am not familiar with Kalevala (and I do appreciate your work) I feel it would be worth it to hear your breakdown of the track. This way I can get a better understanding of what you are striving for.
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

User avatar
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by garranimal » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:47 am

This takes me back to the days I used to scan record shops for prog. house vinyl. If I auditioned this in the store it would be an automatic purchase. No trouble working this into a longer dj set. Long mix is what you want in this area. Thanks for posting.

User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:01 am

sfxgligli wrote:Hello, just listened to your spotlight tracks one more time, my first listen a few days ago was on crappy headphones at low volume, so it didn't really shine... I'm now listening on my monitors, and damn it's something else :)

I really like the first 3 ones (Kalevala/Sentinel/Thin Air), imo they are energetic, entrancing, great (FM ?) basses and I like all the little things you add to keep it interesting for 5+ minutes !

If I can add a little critique, I'd say the sound is close to a tape recorder, but it doesn't sound as "real" (to reel ^^) to my ears, or maybe a little forced, I don't know...
Thanks SFx! I'm happy you enjoyed those tracks. The basses are almost all Sh2 on those tracks. It has such a solid and round tone that I use it for every bass I make. The lofi tape like sound is sort of just how it comes together at the end, mainly because I don't concern myself with super clean recording. I'm always striving to keep things interesting in tracks that long and adding little nuances and background layers is always fun. Thanks man!
_dan wrote:I hate to sound like a fanboy but I really enjoy the way you fill soundscapes on more than a few of your tracks. There is a consistency there that I think lends to an identity as an artist. The name of the track implies something deeper or a more grand undertaking (if it is referring to what wikipedia calls up when searching for Kalevala). Normally I lean towards believing that the intention of the artist takes a back seat to the perception of the person experiencing it, but because I am not familiar with Kalevala (and I do appreciate your work) I feel it would be worth it to hear your breakdown of the track. This way I can get a better understanding of what you are striving for.
The name of the track Kalevala is a Finnish piece of literature that I've only just started reading about. I have lot of ancestry in the region and want to create a series of songs that describe the creation of the world from that perspective. (i.e. magic, bear worship, the forests, and other lore of the time and place) These things are open for any interpretation though, especially with the music being instrumental. Thanks for the feedback on the soundscapes. That's really what I've been trying to do with my new tunes. It's almost like ambient in texture and atmosphere but also groovy and sometimes very melodic. It's a really difficult balance though.
garranimal wrote:This takes me back to the days I used to scan record shops for prog. house vinyl. If I auditioned this in the store it would be an automatic purchase. No trouble working this into a longer dj set. Long mix is what you want in this area. Thanks for posting.
Awesome! If only music was like it was then. I'm still having a lot of difficulty getting any labels interested in what I'm doing. I may resort to just selling an EP on bandcamp. Thanks for listening man!

User avatar
_dan
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by _dan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:25 am

have you done anything else with this one?
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 am

Thanks for listening Dan! :) I haven't worked on this one, so I might just move on to new things from here. I did do a cover/recreation of The Path of Least Resistance - Human League though, if you want to hear it. http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=73401

User avatar
_dan
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Give me some feedback!!!!

Post by _dan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:53 am

Very cool
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

Post Reply