Monthly Patching Workout 2015-2017

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Re: Monthly Patching Workout 2015-2017

Postby pflosi » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 pm

This year’s last patch is a combination of using the Cwejman QMMF4 as a sine oscillator bank, with square LFOs providing tuned trills and feeding everything through a phaser with feedforward modulation from the audio source on the phaser frequency. Here’s the Multi Sine Phase Modulation :D

https://soundcloud.com/contracommunemop ... -phase-mod

All four QMMF4 bands are put into self-resonance (using the osc mode), the main MMF out is then routed to the SPH2 phaser. The SPH2 L and R outs go to the DAW, the MIX out goes to a Doepfer A199 spring verb and is then mixed with the L and R (via a VCA2P). The first band of the QMMF4 is tuned low, with a D-LFO square providing an octave trill. Additionally, there’s some FM from the second QMMF4 band, which is tuned higher and just drones away without an individual trill. The third band is also tuned high and receives a fifth trill from the second D-LFO square. It is also slightly FMd from the first band. Finally, the fourth band is tuned very low with FM from the third band. Also, there is a third slow square LFO (from a PH8) transposing the whole osc bank via the main QMMF4 freq input, also tuned to an octave. All the trills are carefully tuned with a VCA4MX.

At the center of the patch is a RG6 driving the whole thing. Firstly, the gate out is used to sync the first D-LFO square with the SYNC G input, with the RG6 gate length carefully tuned so that the LFO is shortly cut off at the beginning of each sync hit. The RG6 clock out triggers the second D-LFO and the PH8 on the normal SYNC T inputs. Furthermore, the RG6 low S/H out modulates the frequency of the first D-LFO a tiny bit, the high S/H out modulates the second D-LFO. Finally, the mid S/H out modulates the level of the second QMMF4 band and the random saw out modulates the level of the third QMMF4 band, attenuated slightly via the last VCA4MX channel (all self-FM on the QMMF4 is via the pre VCA outs, so they are not affected by these amplitude modulations).

Finally, for the feedforward modulation on the phaser, the main QMMF4 notch out is routed to a second VCA4MX. The RG6 clock is further multed to a CTG-VC, which gates the VCA4MX. The VCA4MX out then modulates the SPH2 L + R frequencies. The patch was a bit too boring and I wanted to add some harmonics, this trick is always nice on the SPH2.

For the recording, I mainly play with the QMMF4 and CTG levels. Firstly, all levels are down and only the random saw brings up the third band in the background a few times. Then I slowly bring up the first band, always playing with the feedforward phase modulation. Then, the third band is brought up properly and the second one is faded in slowly. After that, the first band (with the higher bass) is muted, the second and third are lowered a bit and the fourth low bass is brought in. From there I just jam with everything. In the end, I quickly bring up the PH8 frequency to audio rates and then back it off again. Finally, the manual six semitone transpositions that appear a few times are done by pulling the plug on the main QMMF4 frequency in and then inserting it again :mrgreen:

All recorded in one take into Ableton without any edits. As so often, I added a RE201 return track after the fact. Furthermore, some reverb (Valhalla VVV), delay, EQ and compression in Ableton to bring it all together, as always.

Hope you enjoy it and cheers! :drinks:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Monthly Patching Workout 2015-2017

Postby pflosi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:47 pm

I’m a bit late with the January patch, but I’ll continue the Patching Workout in 2018. Traditionally, I started the year with a no input reverb-resonator feedback patch. Here is the Quadraverb Feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/contracommunemop ... b-feedback

The audio path is pretty straight forward: On the patchbay, the modular output is multed stereo to the DAW and mono to a Warm Audio WA76 to tame those feedback bursts. The WA76 then goes to the Quadraverb, the Quadraverb goes to the modular. I’m using the Taj Mahal preset, slightly tweaked to work nicely with the patch. In the modular, the audio input is multed to a Cwejman QMMF4 and RES4 to have eight resonator bands in parallel (which kind of makes it easier to get lower frequency feedback, IME). The outputs of them are mixed via a VCA4MX and then go to a SPH2. From there, it goes stereo to the output. That means that only the left channel is actually fed back, but audio is recorded from both L and R.

For the modulations, a RG6 provides the basis of the patch. It is set rather slow and there’s some self-modulation from the random saw (via the internally patched path). The clock out syncs a (looping) CTG and a PH8. The remaining outputs are routed to various destinations: The low S/H out goes to a RES4 band frequency, the mid S/H out to CTG decay, a further RES4 band and a QMMF4 band. The high S/H out goes to yet another QMMF4 band. The inverted random saw is routed to the CTG attack, the normal random saw to another QMMF4 band. Additionally, the four PH8 quadrature saw outputs are modulating all four QMMF4 bands, which creates the occasional pinging sounds. Furthermore, a PH4 is used for the remaining two RES4 bands, the SPH2 L+R frequency, and the main frequency input of the QMMF4. Finally, the CTG out gates the audio coming in to the modular (via a VCA4MX). That’s pretty much the whole patch.

I’m keeping the modulations pretty slow for most of the recording, tweaking all the resonator frequencies a bit. Later on, I additionally start to mess with the various frequencies of the modulators. It was a pretty long recording and I edited it pretty heavily to only keep some nicer parts. After that, I recorded a RE201 Space Echo return for the whole thing (I really should exchange the tape soon). As always, some delay, reverb, EQ and compression in Ableton to bring it all together.

Hope you enjoy it and cheers! :drinks:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Previous

Return to The Listening Lounge