DX11/Microkorg noise pop stuff

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
Tacowitch
Gear: DX11, EPS 16+

DX11/Microkorg noise pop stuff

Post by Tacowitch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:44 am

So the other day I banged out this little tune with a few keyboards I had lying around, mostly to test out my new mixer and I wanted to try out doing a song with only hardware. The result was this simple little noisy-pop thing (which is actually a lot more pop than noise).

Drums, background saw wave, one bell and a few other sounds are from this cheesy "100 sounds! 100 rhythms!" keyboard. I dunno what the model is. It just says "Radioshack" on it and it's black. I used to have two of this exact same model for some reason and I have absolutely no idea why or how.

Main sound/starved bells, sub-sine are from a Yamaha DX11. I bought this thing over a year ago and I'm only now beginning to program patches I like on it. It takes some getting used to.

I also used a microkorg for all the microkorg-y sounds. You can probably pick them out pretty easily.

Everything was recorded into audacity.

ned-ryarson

Re: DX11/Microkorg noise pop stuff

Post by ned-ryarson » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:49 pm

The volume level of the drums is quite low, so I increased my headphones volume, and the saw part almost blew my ears off when introduced. The fact that it isn't aligned to the first beat, and comes in off time, didn't do much for my nerves either. The timing of the keyboard playing is an issue throughout. Mix clarity also, it doesn't sound like too much attention was paid to balancing volume levels and there is also much frequency clashing between sounds. Did you separate anything in the stereo image or just place everything in the centre?

To my ears, way more attention needs paid to timing and mix.

Tacowitch
Gear: DX11, EPS 16+

Post by Tacowitch » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:38 pm

ned-ryarson wrote:The volume level of the drums is quite low, so I increased my headphones volume, and the saw part almost blew my ears off when introduced.
This made me laugh really hard, sorry.
ned-ryarson wrote:The timing of the keyboard playing is an issue throughout.
That's like an issue of "I don't really have a good way of hearing my backing track and what I'm playing at the same time", but it's also an issue of playing and I'll make sure to work on that.

ned-ryarson wrote:it doesn't sound like too much attention was paid to balancing volume levels and there is also much frequency clashing between sounds
The kids are way into that these days, I think.

ned-ryarson wrote:Did you separate anything in the stereo image or just place everything in the centre?
Apparently not enough. Some of it was an intentional "haha yeah these sounds sound grosser if they're both centered" decision but not all of it, and it's no good if it doesn't sound purposeful, so I'll definitely work on that.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:57 pm

I think that bass sound is great! It gets lost, and the mix becomes very muddy though, with the addition of those other parts at 00.47. That's where the EQ or frequency separation would have helped. If the muddiness is a creative decision though, who's to argue with that. I like the little delayed arpeggio also, I'm assuming that's the MK? It's nice and tight with the drums too.

Lay off the weed!