Bear Worship - Shimmerings (debut single)

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Bear Worship - Shimmerings (debut single)

Post by pinksoir » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:16 am

This is the first single from my new record (and new project Bear worship). Thought some of the folks here would like it. Actually, this place is responsible for my selection of gear (and supplying tons of source material for inspiration) which obviously informs the sound of the stuff I do. Big influences are Animal Collective, Deerhunter, Sebastien Tellier, Todd Terje, 80s soundtracks, Beach Boys, St. Vincent, Grandaddy, Air, and Grizzly Bear.

Synths used are:
Yamaha CS15, CS50, SK20
Roland JX-3p, Juno 60
Korg Volca Keys

Hope you enjoy.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Bear Worship - Shimmerings (debut single)

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Hey Karl!

Great work, I dig it. It's got a classic vibe, yet it's completely unique.

Nice work on patches too.

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks a million. Really appreciate the compliments and am glad you like it. Actually, I listened to your record a while back on bandcamp. It's very cool - cyberpunk with shades of Sega Genesis soundtracks - the sax gives it an extra dimension and the production/engineering is totally pro. I like it a lot. All your imagery is spot on too - I think that's an essential part of doing music these days, it's almost as much a visual medium as a sonic one in loadsa ways.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:56 am

this actually very good, as you mentioned in your influences I can hear animal collective and the beach boys...

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:02 am

Thanks man. I got the Smile sessions box set a while back and went crazy listening to all the outtakes and stuff, the perfectionism was insane. What could have been with that record... And Panda Bear is one of my favourite artists working right now. I'm trying to tie the electronic to the organic, so using real drums and bass is the backbone to my stuff. This is the most overtly AC type track but there's a lot of variation across the rest of the record. I hope to have it out early next year - it's all recorded/mastered but lead times for promo etc...

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:06 pm

This is brilliant. Good man. I like your influences, Grandaddy are one of my favourite bands. I also hear Super Furry Animals in there too, another favourite.

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:44 am

Ah, another Dub! Thanks man, glad you like it. I'm a big fan of the Furries, and Gryff's solo stuff is deadly too.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:12 pm

pinksoir wrote:Thanks a million. Really appreciate the compliments and am glad you like it. Actually, I listened to your record a while back on bandcamp. It's very cool - cyberpunk with shades of Sega Genesis soundtracks - the sax gives it an extra dimension and the production/engineering is totally pro. I like it a lot. All your imagery is spot on too - I think that's an essential part of doing music these days, it's almost as much a visual medium as a sonic one in loadsa ways.
Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I guess going to art school was worth something :oops:

pinksoir
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Post by pinksoir » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:15 am

Yeah, well there's a good reason why art schools produce so many memorable acts!