tIB - Deformed Bugs - Live Modular Set

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
tIB

tIB - Deformed Bugs - Live Modular Set

Post by tIB » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:21 pm

So I finally tore down the patch I set up for the modular meets gig today, before I did that I said one last goodbye... and recorded it!

Bugbrand modular and Gotharman's Little Deformer two make techno type stuff along with a metalbox MB8008 kick drum.

Patch:

Audio:
[bandcamp width=400 height=120 album=858278594 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small] EDIT: maybe bandcamp doesnt work here? Link below

Download Link:

Here's some notes on what I was doing:

Aim was for something of a banger, with 5 or 6 variations within. The approach was to play the variations within the patch that I'd had set up for a couple of months- practice just involved free forming through different variations and building in some transition type stuff. Find a groove, develop it a little, move it on, switch to something else.

My approach to the live variation with modular thing was pretty straightforward in that I programmed multiple sounds in the rig, which I could switch to different sources. Sequence wise I drove the set from an 8 step sequencer which mostly did 2 rows of gates, along with clock divisions, logic and switches fed into a matrix mixer for pitch control.

The idea was that I could get my groove on, work in a transition and switch the sound sources and processing, or work in variants of the sounds using different amounts of FM or wave folding configs. In terms of pattern variation tracks were built and changed using by switching to different patterns and directions on the gate sequencer, along with tweaking the matrix mixer for pitches and modulations- sometimes sources were used for bass, other times blips and stuff. I also had a section which was delay feedback based. I used a Deformer to add some glitch type percussion, some of which was sequenced by the modular, effects were modulated and the Deformer handled some sequence and divider resets/further modulation for delays.

This is one take with no edits.

Note: I should add the 15 minute set I played will at some point go online and Ill post that here too. Sonicstate also did a live rig rundown interview thing with me so I'll add that too in due course...

ned-ryarson

Re: tIB - Deformed Bugs - Live Modular Set

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Sounds great, although had it been 3/4 minutes long, I might have listened to it all.

The 45 minutes put me off, did it need to be that length? This was the length of a performance or something?

As I say, though, fine sounds.

tIB

Post by tIB » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Cheers, it was a modular patch set up for a live set with it, so the length was whatever I jammed it out to. On the day of the performance it was a 15 minute set, which I felt was pretty rushed so this was more me taking my time to develop the same patch over a number of variations.

Oh and if you'd rather something shorter/track based there are plenty up at my site: www.t-ib.com

tIB

Post by tIB » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:26 am

The set recording from the event and follow up interview are here, courtesy of sonic state / divkid: