Rhodes House #2

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Rhodes House #2

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Good evening fellow VSE'rs,

I finally got to grip with Ableton Live, and after a family-free hour messing around with the Minibrute, the MS-20, and the Arturia Beatstep, I came up with this. It's been a lot of fun. Live has been painless to use, and I find myself writing.. dance? with the Beatstep. Great fun.

It's not remotely finished, but if I get a spare hour or two, I'll have another crack:

http://www.clubbedtodeath.net/download. ... house2.mp3

Instruments: drums (Live), bass (MB), arp (MS20), lead (MB). All effects are Live's: not much apart from reverb and compression..

Is it worth finishing? Quite different to anything else I've done, so I don't really have a yardstick on this one.

Cheers

ned-ryarson

Re: Rhodes House #2

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:28 pm

I love that initial bass, the arp part and the lead. Fantastic sound design and arrangement.

I really don't like the drums though, to me they don't sit comfortably in the mix with the rest. Perhaps they're too dry or perhaps they're not the right drum sounds? I'm no expert on four to the floor style either so I can't really make a suggestion. I prefer your previous, more processed, 'break beat' style of drums in your older work.

Perhaps the fact the bass notes (lfo?) are out of time with the drums doesn't help.

So yeah, other than the ''dance'' drums, it's great. Haha. Definitely worth developing.

Make sure and post any updates!

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:12 pm

ned-ryarson wrote:I love that initial bass, the arp part and the lead. Fantastic sound design and arrangement.

I really don't like the drums though, to me they don't sit comfortably in the mix with the rest. Perhaps they're too dry or perhaps they're not the right drum sounds? I'm no expert on four to the floor style either so I can't really make a suggestion. I prefer your previous, more processed, 'break beat' style of drums in your older work.
Thanks for the comments Ned.

You might be onto something here, actually. The drums are essentially just a glorified click track, and now that I think about it, I could do have a Nord Lead that I can put into drum mode, and do some processing of that.
Perhaps the fact the bass notes (lfo?) are out of time with the drums doesn't help.
Ha. I was trying to be clever there and offset them to give an edge. Or I might've just been sloppy! I leave the discerning listener to make up their own minds.
So yeah, other than the ''dance'' drums, it's great. Haha. Definitely worth developing.

Make sure and post any updates!
Will do -- I may get a spare few hours these weekend. By the way, Beatstep is definitely worth having.

Cheers

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:54 pm

Very cool. Your leads are always wonderful to hear. I don't mind the sort of swingy feel to it. You put a ton of mileage onto the Ms20, and it sounds awesome.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:45 am

Leave the bass sloppy, This track is great.