Garranimal's Tracks

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Garranimal's Tracks

Post by garranimal » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks for checking out my latest work :)
Download on Soundcloud.
Comments, criticism, and ideas for improving are most welcome.

The first is an all Matrix-12 track featuring a crispy, snappy Korg Volca Beats on rhythm.

The second is a remix of the first track done on a Pittsburgh Modular System 10+ and Roland SH-101.
Korg Volca Beats again on rhythm duty.
Last edited by garranimal on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Tracks featuring Matrix-12 and Pittsburgh + SH-101

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:28 pm

I like these, a lot. The sounds are fantastic, and the writing is good. The only criticism I have is that it feels like you've overcompressed the mix: the individual tracks feel like they're too hot, and competing for headroom.

Aside from that, really really good. Totally jealous of your kit!

Cheers

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:46 am

That's some good input clubbed. I think I know what to do, and how to uncook some of the fried dynamics. Also the individual tracks needing a better sense of hierarchy - too crowded at times.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:05 pm

That second track and video is it.
I wasn't too moved by the first, but the second video and track got a groove.
I like that it goes new places, but (THIS IS JUST ME) I wish it would return to the opening motif/groove by the end.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:24 pm

griffin avid wrote:That second track and video is it.
I wasn't too moved by the first, but the second video and track got a groove.
I like that it goes new places, but (THIS IS JUST ME) I wish it would return to the opening motif/groove by the end.
Thanks for checking it out. In the original perhaps more should have happened in the first half, evolving more. Or should have built more tension. I am really happy with the way the second half turned out, excepting too much stuff competing in the mix.

On the remix, that explored the soundscapes of the Pittsburgh setup and the Volca beats. That opening groove was hard to evolve into something else. And I always strive for a breakdown, and building up something interesting. I was exploring the Volca and effects, and doing crazy stuff I never intended to leave in there....but I came back the next day and said this was wicked. I wanted, like the original, for the remix to have this revelation moment towards the second half. I can't believe the haunting soaring lead sound I extracted from the Pittsburgh, it still gives me chills.

Calgonstudio
Band: Client No7

Post by Calgonstudio » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:33 pm

Love the 2nd track, I agree with griffin avid, if you would of brought it back to the opening riff, it would bring a bit of closure to the track. but it's your piece of expression, and it's very enjoyable like it is.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:54 pm

Calgonstudio wrote:Love the 2nd track, I agree with griffin avid, if you would of brought it back to the opening riff, it would bring a bit of closure to the track. but it's your piece of expression, and it's very enjoyable like it is.
At the time I was thinking about turning it into two tracks, maybe I shouldn't have fought that idea. Hindsight is always 20/20.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Tracks feat. Matrix-12, Pittsburgh, SH-101

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:10 pm

Great stuff - I could go for an album of it!

Just be wary of over using compression. If a tracking is needing to pop more, think about subtracting information (by way of EQ, or volume automation) from another source, instead of adding!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:28 pm

I will be working on more tracks along these lines. Thanks for the encouragement and good input.

I would get all wrapped-up in how side-chaining everything would meld the track together and get that rhythmic pumping going. But it can kill the individual part dynamics. I'm discovering less-can-be-more, that having space in the mix can let you hear all the nuanced material better and hear each part more clearly. I work pretty hard on great patches and sound design, but the detail gets lost when it all starts bleeding together too much.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:55 pm

Good to hear that there's more coming!

Absolutely less-is-more when it comes to arranging and mixing. With electronic music I try to use as little eq and compression as possible, and instead try to get my elements to work together through better sound design (which of course is more fun!) So, lots to recording, tweaking, rerecording. Don't be afraid of subtracting elements as well!

In my opinion, side-chaining gets misused more often than not. People think thats just how to compress things. The best type of side-chaining, is the type you don't hear, but feel. Its a very subtle thing. Unless you specifically want over-compression as an effect.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Garranimal's Tracks

Post by garranimal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:27 am

Posted a track on soundcloud called Cold Fire. It's a rework of the Jupiter-6 demo I did on youtube. Kept the JP-6 sound effects, re-arranged parts for the Pittsburgh.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:22 am

Been getting my eurorack mojo up and running.

This one features Stabby's mid-side processor, it sounds fantastic.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:14 am

I hate you! you are so f*cking skilled.... love those arppegios on "Aurora". You should drag more attention to your music. Is good.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Haha, thanks...I think. :) I honestly don't know why this stuff doesn't get more hits, either. Gotta hand it to Stabby for making such a unique and inspiring module.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:48 pm

That was excellent! A true VSE collab.