13 song LP on bandcamp: trip hop/IDM/samples/synths

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

13 song LP on bandcamp: trip hop/IDM/samples/synths

Post by blavatsky » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:42 am

If you are into trip hop/LA Beat scene/certain Lofi IDM you might enjoy these tracks. Let me know what you think.
I use all hardware synths and samplers; big mix of gear in use on this album

https://blavatsky.bandcamp.com/album/new-low

Influences include: Flying Lotus, Portishead, Boards of Canada, J Dilla

I have a very limited online/social media presence but if anyone has advice of other blogs/places to post
this I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd love to collaborate with other artists as well as possibly do
soundtrack/game work in the future.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: 13 song LP on bandcamp: trip hop/IDM/samples/synths

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Nice work!

I don't really listen to anything else like this, so no specific suggestions to spread it from me. I would just say to seek out other forums and blogs that support this type of music. Wouldn't hurt to join Soundcloud, if you haven't already.

I just did a quick google search - you didn't pop right up. Tons of pages regarding your namesake (I assume) Helena Blavatsky.

Anyways, I would love to hear more about your creative processes and, in general, where this album is coming from. If you're able to put that sort thing into words!

Keep up the good work!

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX

Post by blavatsky » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:14 am

Thanks for the reply!
I'll try to search out other forums/blogs (don't know exactly where this style falls?) and yes, I agree I'm going to upload these to soundcloud shortly.

Basic creative process usually begins with drums/sampling from old movies/vinyl. I use a MV-8800 and Roland SP-555 for samples and percussion. Then it's sequenced/layered with hardware synths: moog subphatty, alesis fusion, juno 106 and others....then I mix in reaper, chopping here and there and using some ITB effects.

Style wise, I guess I have a soft spot for vintage/vinyl/VHS sounding stuff (some Fly Lo, BOC, others) and a mix of sort of hip hop/alternative based style/melody/mixing - I like the idea of using a fake persona to evoke a mood of sort of creepy/groovy/nostalgic/head nodding stuff that sounds unlike other artists (to some extent) :geek:

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by blavatsky » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:47 pm

For those that prefer soundcloud;
http://soundcloud.com/blavatsky

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:12 pm

Cool, nice to hear about how it goes down.

I might be coming from a slightly jaded point of view, but it seems to me if an artist isn't making endless noise for him/herself on the internet via social media, little attention is drawn. If anything, that might be reason to seek out a label to help you out with that side of things. Not sure what your endgame is, but just some food for thought nonetheless. I always get to this point with my releases and kinda...lose interest in pushing it around. I'm always way more excited about the new project I'm starting (or halfway done with, haha!)

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by blavatsky » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:53 am

you aren't jaded, that is about how I see the state of things - I thought about spamming it to a few labels; really just to get it heard, I have no delusions of grandeur - but yeah like you said gets old hawking your own stuff then getting like very few listens and/or very little feedback. But hey - most of the reason we do music is for fun, eh?
(although I would not mind slapping a tune over an android game or TV opening and getting a check, am I right? :mrgreen: )

Thanks for taking time to listen and comment!

groy

Post by groy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Doll Pills is dope!