Audio Ammunition - Punk - First Draft Demo

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Favorite song?

Goodbye For Kristin
25%
Lightnin Strikes Twice
No votes
Don't Look Back
No votes
War Against The Radio
75%

Total votes: 4

ficusrock
Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Audio Ammunition - Punk - First Draft Demo

Post by ficusrock » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:56 pm

Demo info
Artist/group: Audio Ammunition
Album name: Subject to Appropriation (Demo)
Genre: Punk
Year: 2006

About
My band recently finished a rough recording of a demo my friends Jonathan and Austin and I began writing last Fall. I would like to get some comments and impressions about some of our recordings which we have available at http://www.myspace.com/audioammunitionrock.

I am especially looking for help tweaking my synth parts, patches and sounds, as well as finding better ways to incorporate synth sounds. I am fairly new to keyboards in general (bought my Micron, my first, last Summer), so not only is this my first time working on a demo, its my first time playing synth in a band as well!

Bio
Here is a little bit about our band layout to start:

Jonathan (Lead vocals, Guitar, Lyrics, Songwriting): Jonathan is the mastermind behind most of our songs and has written the words and guitar to most of the stuff.

Chris (me) (Synth: Micron/JP-8000/MG-1, Bass guitar): I have written many of the Synth parts and most of the music to "War Against The Radio", but for the most part rely on Jonathan to write the songs and then find my place in his guitar mix.

Austin (Drums, drum programming): He plays drums and helped us track out the drums on the recordings.

Key songs to listen to are Goodbye For Kristin and War Against the Radio which feature the most synth. Don't look back has a small synth part during the chorus, and Lightning Strikes Twice has no synth, yet, but maybe it could use it? Let me know what you think!

Future plans
We are already preparing for a round two with recording vocals after Jonathan has had sever singing lessons and is dramatically improving. The others are happy with the synth so far, but I can see a LOT of room for improvement. We hope to also improve overall recording quality of the next draft as well.

http://www.myspace.com/audioammunitionrock

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

P.S. Don't be afraid to friend us!! ;)

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Re: Audio Ammunition - Punk - First Draft Demo

Post by Huppo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:06 am

HEy..how are ya?

You're obviously sincere and your band sounds pretty good overall (its not punk in any way shape or form), but you are taking this way too seriously. Nobody who is going to pave your path to stardom with a thick green carpet of free money gives a s**t what your demo sounds like. "this is the first demo rehearsal test pressing of the second demo attempt at our first demo ..." Record the stuff and send it out. Doesnt matter how much effort you put into the sound quality. You aren't going to be made or broken as engineers and producers. And if you do get picked out of the gigantic pile of demos and chosen to be recorded on someone else's tab? You aren't going to have any control over the engineering or production. Been there, done that. Creative control is a myth if someone else is paying for it.

Jonathan can't sing for s**t. And production isn't the problem. Good guitar player, though.

For your synth parts..the first thing I thought was that you needed to either lose or tweak the portamento in the first part of War. Or get a sound that has a lot more balls until the rest of the music comes in. A lonely sound sounds great alone, but lost in a mix.

In the genre you're working in, synth really should be a seasoning, not a main dish. You guys are tight and the sound is great (except the weak vox). I'd say buy a cheap compressor for your synth to give it some presence in the mix.

~huppo
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:10 am

I didn't think the singing was that bad. Perhaps you could lower it in the mix a bit. Superchunk seems to do this with Mac's singing. That guy can't sing but it comes out sounding really cool and sincere. Even when he's yelling the guitars are still on top, more or less.

The synth does seem kind of weird in there, I think it worked best in 'War on Radio' (a tune which seemed a bit paradoxical :P )

Anyway, remember to have fun with it, and good luck.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:43 am

yeah..I didnt mean to sound so negative, maybe I just dont like the persons voice or singing style. The melodies seem like they would be better with someone who has a less warbly voice with range that strains less. But you werent asking about that anyway.

Like I said before, that kind of music doesn't really lend itself too well to synth parts front and center, it's really about the simple tight power and songwriting. But adding some synth in there for flavor and to break things up from constant guitar would work really well, I think.

A thing to keep in mind when trying to find how to fit sounds together is to not have too many sounds trying to fit into the same frequency range. They will start to step on one another rather than augment each other. Guitars and vocals fill up the midrange of music really well most of the time, leaving the far ends of the frequency spectrum as a place for synths to play around. It's tempting to make huge sounds on a synth, but it's those kind of sounds that are sometimes impossible to fit in anywhere when there's other instruments playing.

~huppo
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Radio24

Post by Radio24 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:37 am

Huppo wrote: The melodies seem like they would be better with someone who has a less warbly voice with range that strains less.
~huppo
:lol:
That probably wasnt supposed to be funny, but i got a chuckle :]

Im going to have to agree on the vocals. Jon does seem to fall off-pitch, well, quite a bit. Also, the vocals remind me of... recent Greenday, and Fall Out Boy.. that type of stuff [which all sounds the same imo, no offense to anyone, but i just don't like that style of music :/ for that reason, i cannot stand the radio (huh, thats a bit ironic :happy8:)]
I also agree with huppo, about the frequencies - in the first songs it can get a bit confused with the similar sounds. That doesn't strike me as a huge problem though.
Other than that i think the music is well crafted and tight. I really like War Against the Radio [although i think it would sond better w/o the vocals]. The synth part in that is very good!
I'd like to hear more as you guys progress :D

edit- forgot to say- i voted War :]
[radio24]