Swollen Members - Breath (Ft. Nelly Furtado) is Mostly SY77?

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
DX21
Gear: Yamaha DX21
Kawai K3
Band: AHHHH!?!!?

Swollen Members - Breath (Ft. Nelly Furtado) is Mostly SY77?

Post by DX21 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:21 am

The synth throughout seems to be "Mini Bass" with slight phaser

Preset 2, Bank A, Patch 14

The Drums seems to be "Drums 2"

So Swollen Members probably picked one up at a pawn shop, Called Nelly and made a sick track out of it.
~Playin' Those Big Fluffy Pads at the Crack o' Dawn~
Yamaha DX7 > Yamaha SY77 > Kawai K3 > PC via Roland UM-ONE Rev 1.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Swollen Members - Breath (Ft. Nelly Furtado) is Mostly S

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:33 pm

It wouldn't be the first hit track to be made using a preset from a synth the artist just acquired.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Swollen Members - Breath (Ft. Nelly Furtado) is Mostly S

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:18 pm

That preset is not listed on synthmania. But it's a typical Yamaha Moog sample alright. Drums 2 sounds a bit different to what's on here. The snare is a lot shorter. The Yamaha drum machines were always good at this sort of thing, with the amplitude envelope. Probably some bus compression on the kit as well.

Really nicely produced and catchy melody. It's got that typical nineties German techno/ trance line that I think the earlist example is from "It's More fun to Compute" by Kraftwerk? Her harmonies are very cool. But that's a terrible name for a band! Doesn't seem to have done them any harm though.