How much gear did you have in high school?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StabArtToDeath

Post by StabArtToDeath » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:58 am

Wow, i'd say most of you guys now are pretty loaded. I'm 15, here's what I have.

Fender custom telecaster HH
randall 212 200 watt amp
cheap guitar and amp
blueridge acoustic guitar
casio something electric piano
old upright piano
alesis micron-annoying because the knobs fall off and i have to carry them in my pockets or glue them on
and i borrow my friends guitar pedals and i have a tascam 4track.

so, you guys that have been around are saying, darn, money can get so much more better gear now. do you think we'll be saying the same thing in 20 years, or that technology has about hit the limit?

westforwishing9

btw

Post by westforwishing9 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:19 am

btw i dont want to seem spoiled... ive been making money doing web design and web hosting for 5 or so years now.. so most of the gear was bought with my own money... Some of it was a gift for doing good in school.....

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:43 pm

StabArtToDeath wrote:
so, you guys that have been around are saying, darn, money can get so much more better gear now. do you think we'll be saying the same thing in 20 years, or that technology has about hit the limit?
There will be no gear in twenty years time, it will all be virtual virtual gear. Like all in your mind. No wires no limits.....

I had a CS-15 a Mono/Poly and a TR-808.
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

JizzmastaflexXx

Post by JizzmastaflexXx » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:01 pm

I'm 17, and I have an M-audio axiom 25, and a nice bundle of computer software: Reason 3, Live 5, Nuendo, and various plug-ins. Its a nice starter package I'd say.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:41 pm

Late to the thread.

In high school I had access to my mom's Lowrey Genie organ (yes, it could do the Baba O'Riley sound)...that was it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

raoul duke
Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M, Korg PolySix

Flash back to 1985...

Post by raoul duke » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:36 pm

I was 16, and at the height of my teen GAS:

'77 Ibanez Silver Series Strat (the one they were sued by Fender over) - Still got it.
Fender Sidekick Reverb 30 - Still got it.
Cort P-Bass copy
Crate B-50 Bass Amp
Korg Poly 800
Realistic/Moog MG-1

and the one that haunts me...

'62 or '63 Fender Jazzmaster - sold for $300 back in '86 :(

Shovelled a lot of s**t and pumped a lot of gas and did many other glorious jobs to afford it all. Then promptly sold most of it in '87 to finance racing motocross. One of the worst things I ever got inta. Just not possible to do competitively unless your parents are rich and/or you win a lot.

Played in bands from '83 to '90. Then got serious and grumpy until about 2 years ago. Now I just terrorize local wildlife with random noise. :roll:
Gear: Roland JP-8000, TR-626, Kurzweil K2000S, Korg Poly-61M

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:57 pm

I had no gear...I started buying gear when I was 19.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:31 pm

an absolute beginners' nylon string guitar, a kincaid upright piano in my parents' living room, and the crappiest electric gtr./amp combo ever, on permanent loan from a friend. and i would play with the fender rhodes in my high school's band room absolutely every chance i had.

pix

Post by pix » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Ibanez RG-270
Marshall valvestate 80W
cheap djembe

:D

mikdrop

Post by mikdrop » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:37 pm

fender jazz bass and a squire amp. thats it
Alesis Mircon, Ion, Microkorg, Korg EMX-1, Prophecy, Behringer Euroback UB 1202, Gibson SGs, Fender JB, PC w/ duo core P4 4GB RAM, Laptop PC w/Duo Core 2GB RAM, BBE sonic Maximizer , Abelton live 5, legacy collection, Roland DM-20 monitors

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:51 pm

In high school, my dad gave me a Casio MT68. And, just before high school, he had given me a Casio VL1. So, that was the extent of my studio.

Not until college did I expand my instruments, at which time I acquired an Ensoniq ESQ1, Roland MT32, KORG DDD1, and Cakewalk (for DOS).

Cheers.

WD

P.S. Anyone in high school nowadays even know what DOS is? Today, the only young folks who know what it is are probably Computer Science History majors, studying the dosazoic period. :-)

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:30 pm

During the fall of 1982, when I was fifteen, I saw a televised live concert of Utopia, featuring Roger Powell playing searing leads on a KORG Polysix. That autumn there was also Mtv videos of Mike Score of A Flock of Seagulls laying down bass drones on a KORG MS20 and string lines on a KORG Delta; Geddy Lee playing "Subdivisions" and "Countdown" on his Oberheim OBX and Minimoog; I at last knew what instrument was to be mine:

the synthesizer . . .

My mother took a chance on me that holiday season and bought me a Casio MT-70 -- still, in my opinion, the model that sounds unlike (i.e. way thicker and better) than any other model of personal keyboard -- and I loved those organ sounds so much I bought chord books and learned how to read music, my scales, and simple classical minuets. My stepfather's best friend loaned me his Mesa Boogie amp and Electro-Harmonix pedals (Big Muff! & Electric Mistress Flanger!) and I began to tweak knobs and explore live sound. I progressed to the point that my family decided I was in this game for the long haul, and with some combined financing I completed the circle and acquired my pride and joy:

KORG Polysix . . .

The same one I saw Roger powell use two years earlier; that was my high school rig, and I have had G.A.S. on and off ever since . . .
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:40 pm

I used to have a crummy weird organ-type thing when I was little that had different coloured keys, and the sheet music was coloured to match... nice idea. Then some bontempi-type thing... oddly, all I had music-wise was european folk tunes. There i was, six years old and banging out chords, singing in german. :?

1985, I was about 11. I sold all my Star Wars stuff ( :cry: ) for 70 quid and bought a casio pt-50. sill got it, but it lives under the bed. About '87 I got a yamaha pss-170 (i think) which was one of the first ever home keyboards with 100 sounds. I remember seeing it in Argos and thinking 'wow!'. Another under-the-bed dweller now.

First definitely proper synth was my Juno-6 around '91/92. At the time, I was playing in a band and they didn't like my move. They wanted 'real' sounds. I left and bought a 606. That was it, hooked forever!

I was unemployed for a while, and paid for a Casio RZ-1 in change I'd saved up. The guy I got it from appreciated that :lol:

When I got the TX, I had no sequencer, so had to use my Sinclair Spectrum. Ah, those four-track songs that slowed down as they got complex....

ulcer242

My gear...

Post by ulcer242 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:14 pm

I'm going to be 18 in a few months. I have been into music and recording since i was 14. Currently I have a Novation A-Station, Roland Juno-60, Korg Kaoss Pad KP2, Korg ER-1, and a Behringer GX212 guitar amp. I mostly make Industrial, so I use Acid pro 6 since my music is mainly loop based. I'm look for a controller for my Astation.

Any Suggestions?

I was thinking a Kawai K1 or an Ensoniq SQ-80.
Roland Juno-60, Novation A-Station, Sony Acid Pro 6, M-Audio Delta 44, Korg ER-1...

fiveways

Post by fiveways » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:27 pm

at age 17 i had[included what i paid for it]:

traynor guitar mate[vintage, cost $150 buck back then]
fender american strat [xmas present, $900]
dod dfx94 4 second sampler/delay[holy s**t i'm robert fripp] [$200 new in those days]
boss rv-2 reverb[$50]
boss dm-2 analog delay [cost a huge $35 bucks]
ibanez ddl10 digital delay[$50]
ibanez bi-mode phaser[$30]
mxr flanger[vintage, 4 knob][$35]
boss ce-1 chorus[$50]
boss ph-2 phaser[$40]
dunlop wah[free, left at a jam space]
2 dunlop hendrix fuzz[first was $50, the second a gram of weed]
dod classic fuzz[$15, he sold it for weed]
boss ds-1[$15, same guy see above]
boss hm-2[$25]
boss sd-2[free, left behind]
zoom gain pedal. pre-505. it had knobs.[i traded a guitar for this that i got at a garage sale and he gave me $100]
ibanez pt-1000 pedal phaser[free, left behind]
boss ps-3 pitchshifter[$250, this was bought with birthday money]
korg volume[free, left behind]
peavey distortion pedal[free, left behind]
dod tec8 multi[$400 new, i got a job and celebrated by buying a s**t multieffect]
yamaha four track [$100 bought at a estate auction]

various '60 pawn shop guitars that i bought at auctions and the such.

i always had jobs as a teen, so i bought gear with the money i made. like, each paycheck i would go to a pawnshop and buy a pedal or save for something i wanted. i wasnt exactly spoiled, i was more lucky to have decent highschool jobs.