New Nine Inch Nails CD: Year Zero

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

The new CD...

...is great
56%
...is so-so
24%
...is disappointing
20%

Total votes: 55

Marching Pig

Post by Marching Pig » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:44 am

I got it about 2 weeks ago, when it came out, and I really think it's awesome.

I absolutely hated With_Teeth, but Year Zero, yo me, sounded like The DOwnward Spiral, via the sound design on The Fragile, so I was pretty impressed.

What also impressed me is that Year ZEro really complements The Downward Spiral, I loaded both onto my MP3 player, and just alternated listens between those two albums for the next 2 weeks, and they work really nicely together.

My third Point Of Awesome goes to the TV on the Radio influence, on tracks like Capital G, and Survivalism, with the distorted horns, and super-fuzzy guitar on each track respectively.

f**k, 11/10 for Trent on this one.

bigbadbarns

Post by bigbadbarns » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:57 am

T3rtium_Quid wrote: IMO Trent Reznor is to electronic music like Quentin Tarantino is to film... Hack-city.
I don't think I will ever understand that comment.

T3rtium_Quid

Post by T3rtium_Quid » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:17 am

bigbadbarns wrote:
T3rtium_Quid wrote: IMO Trent Reznor is to electronic music like Quentin Tarantino is to film... Hack-city.
I don't think I will ever understand that comment.
Okay, so I was a little bombed when I wrote that... But critics and the masses eat both of their "work" up with a spoon, heralding them as ground-breaking and innovative. In my opinon, they just rehash (or dare I say rip-off) stuff that has been done before, and better at that.

What I felt was an era of truly innovative electronic music died when Pretty Hate Machine was released and readily available in shopping malls. With it, Trent spread his special brand of Industrial™ music across the globe and basically destroyed a scene. Again, this is just my opinion.

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:46 am

T3rtium_Quid wrote:What I felt was an era of truly innovative electronic music died when Pretty Hate Machine was released and readily available in shopping malls. With it, Trent spread his special brand of Industrial™ music across the globe and basically destroyed a scene. Again, this is just my opinion.
I don't know...in my opinion I think industrial killed itself when it morphed into trance (or whatever you want to call it) with robot vocals or metal with a drum machine and lost touch with it's experimental side. I don't know if I'd blame NIN for that. At worst NIN just brought more jocks into the goth/industrial clubs.

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:54 am

I don't think that trent or NIN destroyed any scene.

Industral was the buzz word,back around when grunge came out.
The whole mtv hype of PHM,Broken and The Downward Spiral and ministry's Pslam 69.
looking back on it i just seams strange that ministry and nine inch nails got so much hype and you did'nt here much about them after that on MTV

(But thats how MTV is)

i think that TDS and ministry just helped other retro industral bands get heard
and helped to people get into industral and electronic music

aslo it got me to start playing my PSR6 again

T3rtium_Quid

Post by T3rtium_Quid » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:40 am

Industrial morphed into trance? I'm not quite sure I follow that one... But I do know that the label was attached to artists that couldn't be easily classified by conventional standards, even if they didn't necessarily fit the original/traditional Industrial mold. Just one more reason I find the notion of genres to be rather pointless.

I said that the release of PHM "basically" destroyed a scene. Maybe I should have said it ushered in the beginning of the end of that scene instead. But what I saw happen was artists changing their musical direction in an effort to capitalize on the audience PHM created. Do I blame Reznor exclusively for that? No. One could say it started even earlier with Ministry. But what bothers me is when individuals like Reznor & Jourgensen get lauded as the "Godfather's of Industrial" and the true pioneers get ignored.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:54 am

T3rtium_Quid wrote:Industrial morphed into trance? I'm not quite sure I follow that one... But I do know that the label was attached to artists that couldn't be easily classified by conventional standards, even if they didn't necessarily fit the original/traditional Industrial mold. Just one more reason I find the notion of genres to be rather pointless.

I said that the release of PHM "basically" destroyed a scene. Maybe I should have said it ushered in the beginning of the end of that scene instead. But what I saw happen was artists changing their musical direction in an effort to capitalize on the audience PHM created. Do I blame Reznor exclusively for that? No. One could say it started even earlier with Ministry. But what bothers me is when individuals like Reznor & Jourgensen get lauded as the "Godfather's of Industrial" and the true pioneers get ignored.
Trent has never called his music industrial, and by most accounts he hates that label.

Its not his fault that he gets grouped in that category. He wasn't trying to be put there.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

T3rtium_Quid

Post by T3rtium_Quid » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:09 am

Joey wrote:Trent has never called his music industrial, and by most accounts he hates that label.

Its not his fault that he gets grouped in that category. He wasn't trying to be put there.
Nevermind... :roll:

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:42 am

T3rtium_Quid wrote:Industrial morphed into trance? I'm not quite sure I follow that one...
Trance was probably the wrong term...I'm not hip to the lingo. ;) I just meant that at some point in the 90s that a lot of the music that was being lumped under the industrial umbrella (I agree with you about genres being pointless) to me was starting to sound like the same music my sisters danced to when they went clubbing...only with distorted vocals. I understand it's a pretty general statement but like I said in my other post it's just my opinion.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:46 am

T3rtium_Quid wrote:
Joey wrote:Trent has never called his music industrial, and by most accounts he hates that label.

Nevermind... :roll:
no i mean i get what you're saying, but the fact is the people determine the genres, not the musicians.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

viscerallove

Post by viscerallove » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:10 am

divineaudio wrote:where's the option for "would be f**k awesome if trent didn't sing like a whiny b***h"?
thats what i was looking for too.

and i believe jonkull is talking about the newer s**t genre of terror ebm (or apparently aggrotech). its like ebm, BUT THEY ARE ALL BLOODY AND TERRIFYING AHHHH!!

just more cookiecutter bullshit. if you have an Access Virus, some corn syrup and food coloring, and a lack of creativity, you can do it too!

oh and dont forget the tube distortion for your oontz oontz oontz. thats what makes it scary! :roll:
my music

Clavia Nord Lead
Korg Poly 800
Korg DSS-1
Oberheim Matrix-6
Novation KS 4
Roland V-Synth

Jason13

Post by Jason13 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:43 pm

I really wanted to like this album as I am a big fan of NIN, but I really don't like Year Zero. I thought the album might be a grower but I have listened to it quite a few times now and it just doesn't do it for me. This comes after seeing them live in February and I was a little disappointed then as well. All those analogue modulars set up and as soon as the guitars started you could not hear any synths at all! I thought their support band Ladytron was much more interesting. See you at the next album Trent, but I will give it a thorough listen before I buy next time, if at all. :cry:

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:55 pm

I really don't see how anybody who claims they like NIN could not like this album.

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:13 pm

supermel74 wrote:I really don't see how anybody who claims they like NIN could not like this album.
That's quite an asinine statement to make.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:09 pm

sentientprogram wrote:
supermel74 wrote:I really don't see how anybody who claims they like NIN could not like this album.
That's quite an asinine statement to make.
by itself yes, but in the context of this thread no.