The death of analogue

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Thu May 31, 2007 4:49 pm

Soundwave wrote:You can also get theses in the shops now (if you haven't already seen it).

http://www.jazzmutant.com/
I have seen that. Its not affordable, and it only does one thing (the interface isn't nearly as malleable as it should be). The key point is accessibility.

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Thu May 31, 2007 4:57 pm

I'd certainly have one propped up between my monitors,
You dont realize how big this thing is then.. that the problem with it. It's a solid pedastal about 4x4 feet and maybe 3-4 feet height. That's 64 cubic feet of soild voulme. Where you gonna put that? They're right to send it to commerical applications... it's great for kiosks, science centers ect. Home? no ..

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu May 31, 2007 5:09 pm

this is a gimmicky product becuase microsoft is trying to find something that mac doesnt have because they cant compete with the ipod. Gates used to joke around by saying,"I make more money off a sell of an apple computer than Steve does."
Last edited by wiss on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Thu May 31, 2007 5:46 pm

This looks like it could be very useful interms of sorting through vast sample libraries and curating collections of sounds on a per project basis.

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Thu May 31, 2007 5:52 pm

I wouldn't call it a gimmick, because its useful. The key isn't making the technology. Its making it accessible. I think it might be fun to muck about in Reaktor with one of those.

As well, recording a multitrack session and mastering it with something like this would be awesome.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:50 pm

Taxidermy wrote: It did kill off analogue. Analogue had a revival.
"....And in the year 199n Jesus returned to resurrect every analogue from death....err, make that "social embarrassment".... and the s/pdif and the ADAT were removed, and it was good..... And then 1/4" lo-z was back for good, except the engineers despised it, and there was some unrest, but for the most part, it was good..."

how did I miss it??

oh yeah, i played metal when 'everyone' was into new wave, and learned synthesizers when 'everyone' was into grunge. The last few years I've worked to sound as futuristic as possible, whatever the h**l that means.

i have a trend-polarity tendency, don't mind me :)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu May 31, 2007 10:31 pm

There's a weird part of me that believes that tons and tons of amazing things have already been invented... but they just don't get past the $$$$$ prototype and never become marketable/affordable.

Cool .. but didn't they have that in Lawnmower Man ?

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu May 31, 2007 10:32 pm

oh yeah ... what's this have to do with the death of analog? and like shaft sorta said.. dead is dead and if it isn't ... well then analog is jesus. don't f**k with jesus.

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Thu May 31, 2007 10:41 pm

Technically speaking, I believe analog is currently in zombie status. Since it's already been killed and brought back from the grave, at least once. If I have read my zombie manual correctly you have to fully penetrate the zombie brain in order to kill it. Im not convinced this trend will have both the force to penetrate a zombie skull as well as the accuracy to destroy the zombie brain.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu May 31, 2007 10:54 pm

I just don't believe that analog will "die" anytime soon. What the f**k does that even mean? To me it says that it will be gone. Is that what you mean? Or do you just mean .. not the most popular .... so what?

People will use whatever they please. This is the information era. The SUBWAY "your way..right away" era.

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu May 31, 2007 11:31 pm

wiss wrote:
Apple computer sells are still under 5% and out of that 5% I once read 90% of them never go online.
I must be one of the 10% of that 5% then... :wink:

Apple sales in the US are around 6% now, and around 12% of laptops.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, XP-60, SY99, EMX1. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:56 am

Wireless audio and power is next. I know it. I just have no idea how the wireless power would work...
soundcloud.com/vectron

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:37 am

short range induction... they're already making mats that you can put your laptop and stufff on and it'll charge everything wirelessly.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, XP-60, SY99, EMX1. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:57 am

metrosonus wrote:short range induction... they're already making mats that you can put your laptop and stufff on and it'll charge everything wirelessly.
Wow. I should get a patent next time I have an idea like that.
soundcloud.com/vectron

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:44 am

Common hasn't this been rehashed enough? What new can anyone add to this neverending debate? Also isn't this off topic...?

Sigh....