Does analog really matter in the end

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
femmespeaksever

Does analog really matter in the end

Post by femmespeaksever » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:22 pm

Once there is high end expensive mastering equipment used to complete a song, is there still a difference heard from analog synths then from digital/software synths?

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:34 pm

even after a diet coke is chilled and poured over ice into a glass and served in a fine restaurant.. classic coke still tastes better. that's an extreme analogy.. but id say yes.. not much, i'm sure, espescially with something like a nord... but before it gets mastered it's gotta be the best signal you can get.. mastering might actually bring out the "digitalness "
eh.. thats just a gearhead opinion.. you'll probabaly get a better answer from someone who knows what the h**l they're talking about..
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:41 pm

Depends on what you are going for personally. Plenty of good music can be made without straying from the digital domain. I myself like analogue a lot though, and don't think I could do without it now I have it.

Vast Halo

Post by Vast Halo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:44 pm

This whole analogue versus digital debate is utterly spurious. Only zealots believe that digital doesn't have its place. Will any amount of top-drawer mastering gear make a DX7 sound exactly like a Jupiter-8? No. But you're never going to make a Jupiter-8 sound just like a DX7 either, and sometimes a DX7 is exactly what you need.

One other point: I invested in a Minimoog because nothing else sounds quite as good, but at the end of the day that doesn't matter a damn, because it's only people like me who can hear any difference between a Minimoog and a Virus, and we are very much in the minority.

DasDachshund

Post by DasDachshund » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:38 pm

Live, no, not really.

But if your analog is reliable, go for it!
Weinerish, sometimes.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:52 pm

jayman wrote:even after a diet coke is chilled and poured over ice into a glass and served in a fine restaurant.. classic coke still tastes better...
Uh, I like Diet Coke better. :lol:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:08 pm

JSRockit wrote:
jayman wrote:even after a diet coke is chilled and poured over ice into a glass and served in a fine restaurant.. classic coke still tastes better...
I can't stand the s**t, personally.
:P
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:14 pm

I thought the same when I got my Arturia Moog Modular V which can sound as good as a real Moog in many instances but there’s something in the upper mid ranges of a real analogue that has more presence due to the real distortions, organic electronic circuit reactions especially with filters, VCO drift and hi frequency modulations that any digital source just can’t match (yet). I think a similar analogy could be made with guitarists and their amps/pedals.

I suppose it also depends on what type of material your working on as using a decent analogue softsynth in a busy rock band rather than a real analogue wouldn’t be as noticeable as a minimalist electronic producer creating some experimental analogue drones, i.e. you wouldn’t get Richie Hawtin using Rebirth in his next album but saying that Klaus Schulze sold his big Moog Modular after getting stuck into the Arturia version so what do I know. I say use both or whatever you're happy using and reap the benefits in all areas. :)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:40 pm

sacredcow wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
I can't stand the s**t, personally.
:P
Yeah, I used to be that way...until I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. You drink a few cans and it starts to taste like regular coke. I used to think it was BS, but it's true.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:51 pm

All that matters in the end is that he who dies with the most toys wins.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:52 pm

Yoozer wrote:All that matters in the end is that he who dies with the most toys wins.
Wow, I saw that bumper sticker today as well...on a Monster Truck with tires as big as a 10 year old.

rickrhino

Post by rickrhino » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:55 pm

On it's own nothing sounds like a real analog, but in a mix you can't tell
there is only so much dynamic range in a modern mix
so, unless you are just recording an entire album from one analog synth and no multi-tracking
you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a mix
Live is a whole different matter cause you are not restrained from the max volume of recording (CD)
mis dos centavos

Roland Juno 60 w/Kenton DCB/MIDI, Novation Basstation R,Ensoniq ESQ1, Yamaha SY85 & PSS-470, RedSound Darkstar v2,,Akai MPC3000, NI Kontakt 3, Arturia's Minimoog V & ARP2600 V, GForce's ImpOscar,Oddity,Minimonsta, WOW TimewArp 2600

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:06 am

I like classic Coke more than Pepsi
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

yellowfever
No Longer Registered

Re: Does analog really matter in the end

Post by yellowfever » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:09 am

femmespeaksever wrote:Once there is high end expensive mastering equipment used to complete a song, is there still a difference heard from analog synths then from digital/software synths?
No

rickrhino

Re: Does analog really matter in the end

Post by rickrhino » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:37 am

yellowfever wrote:
femmespeaksever wrote:Once there is high end expensive mastering equipment used to complete a song, is there still a difference heard from analog synths then from digital/software synths?
No

and in spanish....NO
mis dos centavos

Roland Juno 60 w/Kenton DCB/MIDI, Novation Basstation R,Ensoniq ESQ1, Yamaha SY85 & PSS-470, RedSound Darkstar v2,,Akai MPC3000, NI Kontakt 3, Arturia's Minimoog V & ARP2600 V, GForce's ImpOscar,Oddity,Minimonsta, WOW TimewArp 2600