VST equalizers with more than 32 bands

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
meneedit

VST equalizers with more than 32 bands

Post by meneedit » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:28 am

helloooooooo,

Is anybody aware of a VST equalizer with more than 32 bands?

....and before somebody jumps up with "You dont need more than 32" or "You could just use a parametric", I think it would be the best thing ever and I would use it all the time. 8)

Thank you

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:12 am

Well the reason there isn't one is cause nobody else in the world needs one but you. ;)

If you really need that many bands just get seven or more instances of a 5-band parametric in series and set the frequencies however you like.

MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:25 am

If you need narrower bands, a parametric EQ is how to approach it. You could use a 32 band EQ in one VST slot, and then add a parametric EQ in another slot. And then perhaps another parametric EQ in the third slot, etc.

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Post by Cruel Hoax » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:38 am

Gonna have to agree with everybody else and say: learn to properly use a parametric! For real!

And I'm not just saying this because "that's how it's done" (even though that is, in fact, how it is done.) Let's take your example of fixing up a patch on your synth. let's say you hold down a B, and adjust the graphic EQ so that it sounds good to your ears. (hey, that 120Hz slider is damn near perfect, seeing as how a B is at 123,47 Hz. Cool! We can boost the fundamental real good! And what's the next band lower? An octave down at 60, of course! Man, all these sliders are friggin' aswesome when I play the note B!)

Now play an E (82.41 Hz) Aw s**t! Now our fixed band can only hit the fifth harmonic! Dammit, but I wanted to boost the fundamental! Outta luck, son. Wouldn't it be nice if you had an EQ with sliding bands?

See, al lot of the time, if you're getting anal about EQ, you're gonna want to tune in a particular frequency (the octave, or the third harmonic, or that one fret on your bass guitar that buzzes), and you just can't do it with a graphic EQ. That's why everybody is saying "graphic EQs are used more as fixed problem-solvers in live loudspeaker applications." Because it's true.

Yes, a graphic EQ seems more immediate right now. But, once you learn your stuff, you're gonna wish for a parametric. You might consider getting something you can grow into, rather than grow out of.

Since you're not gonna listen - if you wanna get crazy with harmonically-related frequencies, consider picking up an additive synth. h**l, a K5000 has a damn 128-band sliding formant filter/EQ!

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

meneedit

Post by meneedit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:57 am

Thanks for your help guys! I never thought of adding more than one parametric and setting up the bands. :D

....but just out of curiosity, are there any parametrics with at least a few more than 5 bands? :oops: soooorry.

you're all really helpful and I really appreciate your replies 8)

Theory?

Post by Theory? » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:26 am

meneedit wrote:Thanks for your help guys! I never thought of adding more than one parametric and setting up the bands. :D

....but just out of curiosity, are there any parametrics with at least a few more than 5 bands? :oops: soooorry.

you're all really helpful and I really appreciate your replies 8)
The Sonitus suite that comes with SONAR has 6.

C10, part of most Wave's bundles has...well, 10 bands (you know...just in case you need 10 bands).

Frankly, I'm going to have to parrot everyone else and say if you REALLY need more than 4 bands, it probably means you have no fnuckin' idea what you're doing.
Inverted Insights: Another blog about absolutely nothing

meneedit

Post by meneedit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:53 am

Theory? wrote: The Sonitus suite that comes with SONAR has 6.

C10, part of most Wave's bundles has...well, 10 bands (you know...just in case you need 10 bands).

Frankly, I'm going to have to parrot everyone else and say if you REALLY need more than 4 bands, it probably means you have no fnuckin' idea what you're doing.
sorry, I dont mean to come across that way. I actually do know what im doing, its just that I like to make really minor adjustments to drums. If I listen to a snare long enough I start to hear frequencies that I want to remove.... and sure enough, when I narrow the bands down on a parametric and raise the band it intensifies these bad frequencies.

usually one parametric takes care of most of these bad freqs but sometimes i need more bands. The parametric I am using comes with fruityloops and has 7 bands.

Its ok, I'll just add more than one to and FX slot and set up the bands. thats a good idea 8)

Thank you, sorry to be a pain in the a*s again.

Theory?

Post by Theory? » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:35 am

meneedit wrote:
Theory? wrote: The Sonitus suite that comes with SONAR has 6.

sorry, I dont mean to come across that way. I actually do know what im doing, its just that I like to make really minor adjustments to drums. If I listen to a snare long enough I start to hear frequencies that I want to remove.... and sure enough, when I narrow the bands down on a parametric and raise the band it intensifies these bad frequencies.

usually one parametric takes care of most of these bad freqs but sometimes i need more bands. The parametric I am using comes with fruityloops and has 7 bands.

Its ok, I'll just add more than one to and FX slot and set up the bands. thats a good idea 8)

Thank you, sorry to be a pain in the a*s again.
Eh, no harm done. I kinda misunderstood what you were getting at. It makes sense, but frankly an excess of EQ can be a bad thing.
Inverted Insights: Another blog about absolutely nothing