New Korg R3

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:17 am

This is like the third thread for the R3. I want one real bad. It's not out yet,

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Re: New Korg R3

Post by justin_havu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:25 am

ballophun wrote:I'm pretty sure they're like the replacement for the microkorg, and they look great. And have good size keys...
You are correct! The R3 is replacing the MicroKORG, so MicroKORG is being discontinued. :cry:
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

RossFrequency

Post by RossFrequency » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:13 am

thestreets wrote:This is like the third thread for the R3. I want one real bad. It's not out yet,
It's out in the uk, i played on one in a shop last week, and i mean played s in twisted the knobs and looked at the lights, it had no headphones or amp connected!
Nice Halo style lights around the knobs, looks very nice, dunno what it sounds like though!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:48 pm

killedaway wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
killedaway wrote:i still want one. unfortunately, i'm not really looking for another synth with keys, so i'm gonna wait on the price of the Radias to come down a bit more.
I think you should complete your electribe collection first. ;)
that goal is there, it's just on the back burner. :lol:
seriously though, i am dying to get an EM-1, believe it or not. i'm not in a big hurry to get an ES-1 again, but if the right price comes along, i won't be able to resist. once i've got them all, i won't be able to share my opinion on them, due to the fanboy image it'll inevitably invoke.
You have the good ones already...the others are just to complete the collection I guess. I'm with everyone else in this thread... the R3 looks ok and I'd be interested at $400, but not $650. However, I wish it still had a battery option and I still think the Microkorg is more desirable.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:34 pm

I found a few R3 demos here : http://www.johnmillermusic.net/r3demo.mp3

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:06 pm

where is the microx 500$? It's still 650$ Everywhere i've seen it. Ive decided to buy it though... it's build is like a "me to" controller, and it does feel more like the R3, which .. MS2000 begat MicroKorg, Radias begat R3. Given the success of the mirco korg and MS2000, I dont think it'll be discontniued anytime soon.

I really wanted to pick up an Edirol PCR500 controller and ReFx Nexus (together would cost as much as a Micro X). But I'm still in college and need a smaller controller, but I also like all the functions of the X along with the engine, which is something you dont get with nexus. So I'm pretty sold on the Microx. 500$ would be the price point i'd expect it to be at. Which is why I'm putting it off for a bit. If someone has a link to it @ 500 let me know :)

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:07 pm

If the microKog is taken off the market, its pre-owned price could possibly plummit way below what it currently is.

I've given the R3 lots of thought over the last few months. I'm sure I'd like it, also.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:35 pm

I played it some weeks ago at a local dealer here in Stockholm.

Firstly, the key-action was certantly not my cup of tea. It felt cheap and plastic and not very dynamic at all. Well, it is a cheap synth so I can forgive it.

The editing system is very nice with the small screens over the editing knobs. It does get a bit confusing though as the red leds aren't as instant as the yellow led-screens on my Modular G2. It was easy enough though.

The sound was okay. Much better than my old ms2000 - a lot more variation - actually I enjoyed playing it for an hour. It was a great, cheap VA-synth. But knowing myself and my lack of patience when it comes to interfaces I decided to save the cash as it wasn't able to do anything I feel I can't achieve with the G2.

I suggest you try it, I believe you'll like it as it is a more than capable synth in most situations.

To put it short: Finally an update to the microkorg that is playable for fat fingered non-emo freaks like me and with a sound that isn't all that plastic...