Vermona DRM1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
AudiosEnvy

Vermona DRM1

Post by AudiosEnvy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Anyone own one of these or an Mk2? I am picking up a Drm1 MK2 with chrome knobs for a very nice price and have only found some half assed demos. Any other thoughts, etc etc.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

altemark

Post by altemark » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:29 pm

I have played around a bit with this one as well as the earlier adx-1 which is related to it. It seems to lie more close in sound to analog drum brains like old simmons/tama/pearl stuff, but wanting to go into x0x-territory. Hihats are nice, but almost every sound that needs oomph is hard to tweak out of it. I imagine that it is because the oscillators for kick, snare and so on are not restarted with every trig, so you can end up trigging them in the middle of a waveform cycle.

Another thing that seems to limit them is one envelope used to modulate both pitch and VCA, or pitch and filter. Drum machines with that kind of architecture tend to end up excelling in the piooouuw-department rather than the boooooooom. A nice feature on the mkII are the inserts on each channel (I believe at least?) - this makes giving the sounds the help they might need through external processing much easier.

It's a real nice looking machine, a good range in possible sounds (much more interesting than another german, the mfb-502) - and if you are lucky, they can be found for cheap. but for me I think it ends up sounding like the ER-1 of the analog drum rack units.

I heard that Vermona are developing a new version of the drm-1 mkII ... remains to see if it is the same machine with new knobs only, or if they adress some of the possible problems with the architecture.

I agree that many of the demos of the drm-1 mkII sound wimpy, it might reflect a little bit on the sound of the machine, but seriously one should be able to tweak more sounds out of a unit like that.

Here are some sounds from the cheaper little brother mam ADX-1 that borrowed from a friend and recorded
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewS ... hp?id=2043

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. I also found a YouTube video of the DRM1 in action. This cat seems to get some pretty powerfull sounds out of it with not much help from other outboard.

altemark, I was afraid of that exact thing when I first heard the demos of the DRM1 MkII. But I am getting it for a fair enough price to add it to the collection and even if I need to add a bit of external processing to get some oomph out of it, it's still worth the price tag.

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

altemark

Post by altemark » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:56 pm

I don't think you are doing a bad deal, even though it doesn't seem to be strong on all points it seems be able to lend a very electro:ish atmosphere to tracks, way more so than for example an er-1

Don't forget to put up some demos when you got the silvery box :) ... I only played around with it in a store for an hour, would be interesting to hear how someone really motivated to do some nice examples with it.

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Bad news... the d**k sold it on me before I got some free time to go get it. Pretty pissed but I really don't believe it would have lended much to my style of production. Regardless.. I was getting it for $400 and could have definitely flipped it for more. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Now it's time to go get the Emx that buddy from work is selling me. Thanks for all the info guys, I'm sure this thread has helped more than just me.

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]