What is the best alternative to the FR-777??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

What is the best alternative to the FR-777??

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:49 am

I'm sure some will say the Revolution, but being that it only has one osc, I don't really see it.

Maybe the MEK??

The XS maybe?? Although, I would rather have an alternative with a built-in sequencer. I'm not much of a player. Of course, I could sequence the XS from my MnM or a Mobius, but I like built-in sequencers for that tighter integration.

I'd really like to get a 777, but they seem to be going for ridiculous prices, if you ever see one.

If someone has one that they wanna sell for a reasonable price, pm me.

-While I'm at it...

What would you guys pay for a 777? Or what have some of you paid for them, if you don't mind me asking?

reset

Post by reset » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:56 am

The MEK has a sequencer IIRC. Maybe it is a bit more cryptic than the 777. Then of course the Source has a built in seq as well. Yeah, I'm a sucker for built in sequencers, too. :oops:

(edit)
Uhhh, ohhhh, the JX3P has a very accessible built in sequencer, however, I doubt it does slides. Plus, it might not get as dirty as a 777.
LP TE/MonoMachine/XB09/SH101/09

Soundwave

Re: What is the best alternative to the FR-777??

Post by Soundwave » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:04 am

ThinkTanx wrote:I'm sure some will say the Revolution, but being that it only has one osc, I don't really see it.
It does transmit MIDI and has a filter in yer know! :wink:

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:05 am

Best alternative to a 777....
closest I've seen is the Korg EA-1. It's like a VA version of a 777 lite.

Take a look at the two architectures, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Outside of that, I'd say probably the Pro One.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:30 am

23 wrote:Best alternative to a 777....

I'd say I would definitely want something analog. Not sure I want something vintage either, although a Pro-One is tempting on certain days.

Why don't you sell me one of your 777's? :wink:

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII

Post by 23 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:16 am

ThinkTanx wrote:
23 wrote:Best alternative to a 777....

I'd say I would definitely want something analog. Not sure I want something vintage either, although a Pro-One is tempting on certain days.

Why don't you sell me one of your 777's? :wink:
Sure, give me 2k dollars and I'll ditch ONE of them off on you. :wink:
(hey, if I'm gonna lose one, might as well make sure I'm in a position to grab two more to replace it)

Post by 23 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:18 am

In all seriousness though, the 777 just has a ton of odd paramaters to it. the 42db filter for example.
The oddities to the synth are sufficient enough so that you're gonna have a hard time actually finding something similar.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:38 am

A modular synth and an FR Mobius.

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:43 am

23 wrote:In all seriousness though, the 777 just has a ton of odd paramaters to it. the 42db filter for example.
The oddities to the synth are sufficient enough so that you're gonna have a hard time actually finding something similar.
Yeah, it really does. Makes it hard to find alternatives. Guess I might just have to bite the bullet and pay more than I would really like to. Generally, once I have my mind set on a certain piece of gear, I have a hard time accepting anything else. We'll see what happens.

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:39 am

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:04 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:but being that it only has one osc, I don't really see it.
I could sequence the XS from my MnM.
I'd really like to get a 777, but they seem to be going for ridiculous prices
if you don't mind controlling it with the MnM, what about the Super Bass Station. It may not be as raw, but it has 2 oscs plus sub. along with a built-in analog distortion, it could make some dirty sound. and it should be cheaper too. anyway, here's some other alternative of a TB-303 clone.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:41 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:but being that it only has one osc, I don't really see it.
I could sequence the XS from my MnM.
I'd really like to get a 777, but they seem to be going for ridiculous prices
if you don't mind controlling it with the MnM, what about the Super Bass Station. It may not be as raw, but it has 2 oscs plus sub. along with a built-in analog distortion, it could make some dirty sound. and it should be cheaper too. anyway, here's some other alternative of a TB-303 clone.
Interesting little comparison there. Amazing how aggressive the original is, and how no one can match it. To my ears, my favorites were the 777 and the Acidlab Bassline. Not for being the best clones, but for their sound on its own merits. I thought the 777 really had nice presence, although some of that can probably be had by using a nice comp on any of them.

However, on that note, I should say that I'm not looking for the typical 303 sound exactly and don't do acid music at all. Frankly, if that were the case, I would try and just buy a 303. They seem to be both easier to find than a 777 and about the same price in many instances.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:21 pm

What is it about the 777 that you like? Outside of the 7 pole filter and sequencer...the Voyager has similar functions no (3 pole filter, fm options)? or are you trying to let go of the Voyager and get some replacements?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:33 pm

JSRockit wrote:What is it about the 777 that you like? Outside of the 7 pole filter and sequencer...the Voyager has similar functions no (3 pole filter, fm options)? or are you trying to let go of the Voyager and get some replacements?
Yeah, I'm thinking along those lines. I was gonna try out the 777 first. Then probably the MEK. If I like both, I will probably sell my Voyager.

I'm just kind of looking for new inspiration, and trying to perfect my setup. I'm kind of like you: not a big player... I like built-in sequencers, groovebox-type synths.

You, of all people, should understand this. :D

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:47 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:
JSRockit wrote:What is it about the 777 that you like? Outside of the 7 pole filter and sequencer...the Voyager has similar functions no (3 pole filter, fm options)? or are you trying to let go of the Voyager and get some replacements?
Yeah, I'm thinking along those lines. I was gonna try out the 777 first. Then probably the MEK. If I like both, I will probably sell my Voyager.

I'm just kind of looking for new inspiration, and trying to perfect my setup. I'm kind of like you: not a big player... I like built-in sequencers, groovebox-type synths.

You, of all people, should understand this. :D
I'd get a Revolution and use the sequencer to drive a voice on your MnM then feed it back into the Rev's filter in for a hybrid SID acid demon!
It's what I'll be doing this weekend with mine! :wink:

Another good alternative is getting a Rev with Pulse+ and using it's CV 2 mod out for controlling the Rev's filter via it's CV input although for the price of both you could almost get a 777.

Don't forget the Revolution's sequencer has that remix feature which would be great for recoding live tweaks into the MnM.

I'm going to be very busy this weekend with my new girlfriend Carmen Elektron! (Mrs Soundwave won't be pleased at all :roll: )