TR-909 kick drum replacements

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:05 pm

for 909 w/o the sequencer, there is always the 9090

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:27 pm

jp8080 wrote:
JUGEL wrote:If you want more control mod the 909 yourself .. it's easy.
Any links to your favorite mods? I'm only familiar with colin fraser's mods.
Yes .. it was the Colin Fraser mod's... and I didn't do all of them .. picked and choosed. Didn't want to get back to the M-Base territory.. hated that thing.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:57 pm

breitt wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote: You ever listen to The Field? He does minimal/tech house on Kompakt. He records all his s**t live, one take to two-track. His album has several technical errors on it. I always thought they were programmed in. I didn't know he did things live until after listening to the album for quite a while. I don't generally get way into minimal house stuff, but his s**t is off the chain, imho.
I gave a listen on iTunes just now an artist called "Field." I assume it's the same as you mentioned. Good stuff. I've been getting more into this kind of "micro-house" genre lately-Ellen Allien and John Tejada, to name a few. I love the glitchy character of the work and it inspires me on my Monomachine.
Nah that's somebody else. I don't think any of the Kompakt stuff is available on iTunes because they have their own mp3 store.

Check him out here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=56573986

--and sorry for going so far off topic here, folks. It happens.

konvert

Post by konvert » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:14 pm

vanitypolice wrote:looks pretty awesome and exactly what I'm pining for. i checked it out at the jomox site.
Do you guys have one? Do I buy it direct from them or do they crop up on ebay every so often?
As it happens, I got MBase01 for cheap and just went for it. I'm getting it today, I can whip up some first-impression demos as soon as I get it plugged in.
I'm expecting pretty much from it, actually. For a pricey (€200 new) one-trick-pony it should do that one trick well.
We'll see.
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:58 pm

I expected very little ... maybe that's why I was letdown?

too many pointless controls... I was better off using my SH-7.

Low_Fi

Post by Low_Fi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:53 am

I also had the MBase01 for a while and let it go. There was just something about it that didn't sound right to my ears. I think it was that I didn't like the clickey pulse it added to the attack. I tried to like it because I didn't want to shell out the money for a 20 year old 909.

I also owned an XBase09 and while I liked it a lot better than the MBase, it still seemed to lack that certain something.

I don't consider myself an elitist by any means, but IMO for kicks in a dance/techno track, nothing beats a modded TR-909, unfortunately. I think I just heard so many thousands of techno tracks with it over the years that my ears are programmed to hear the 909 kick. The XBase09 or MBase09 is in no way inferior...just different.

I'm curious to hear the latest Jomox beast, but for the money, why not just go for the 909 and mod it?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:03 am

JUGEL wrote:If you get the JoMoX .. i'd suggest sampling it. It's pure sound is unpleasing to my ears ..
The Xbase 09 sounds much better as samples in my MPC 60 than the raw sounds coming from the machine.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:23 am

Low_Fi wrote:I also had the MBase01 for a while and let it go. There was just something about it that didn't sound right to my ears. I think it was that I didn't like the clickey pulse it added to the attack. I tried to like it because I didn't want to shell out the money for a 20 year old 909.

I also owned an XBase09 and while I liked it a lot better than the MBase, it still seemed to lack that certain something.

I don't consider myself an elitist by any means, but IMO for kicks in a dance/techno track, nothing beats a modded TR-909, unfortunately. I think I just heard so many thousands of techno tracks with it over the years that my ears are programmed to hear the 909 kick. The XBase09 or MBase09 is in no way inferior...just different.

I'm curious to hear the latest Jomox beast, but for the money, why not just go for the 909 and mod it?
What mods specifically are you referring to? I just got a 909, but don't know a lot about any mods yet.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 am

If you're considering buying the mbase... you should think about spending a little more and getting a xbase-09 for like $550.

You are all crazy who doubt the fatness of the Jomox kicks, I don't think the mbase01 is all that much better than the airbase/xbase09 kick

Playing pitched bass lines on mbase is kind of lame, your better off using a snappy synth like a little phatty. h**l I say just get a little phatyy, you can make some wicked kicks with it plus its a great synth...
for sale/trade: EML-101

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:19 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:
Low_Fi wrote:I also had the MBase01 for a while and let it go. There was just something about it that didn't sound right to my ears. I think it was that I didn't like the clickey pulse it added to the attack. I tried to like it because I didn't want to shell out the money for a 20 year old 909.

What mods specifically are you referring to? I just got a 909, but don't know a lot about any mods yet.
I'm with Low_Fi on this. I had an AirBass99, witch has the most wicked hihats ever, but the kick and other sounds just don't do it for me.

Now I've modded my 909 and thats great.
Here's some info:
http://www.colinfraser.com/tr909/909mods/909mods.htm
http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Roland%20T ... TR-909.htm
http://www.analog-synth.de/synths/tr909/tr909.htm

One more thing: Don't ever drill holes in your 909 All my wires go through the battery cover.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

benfeggans

Post by benfeggans » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:48 am

Another vote for the Quasimidi 309 kick. Can sound very analogue, but has some grit to it.
Quasimidi 309 Klaus Schulze * XOXBOX * Novation Bass Station * iMac 20" * Logic Studio * Reaktor * Ableton Live *

vanitypolice
Gear: XTk, Model D, Cat, MicroKorg, Voyager RME, RE-201, Logic 8, Waldorf Edition, Komplete Synths, Sylenth1, Ultra Analog VA-1, Ozone 4, red Gibson SG.
Band: Dangerous Muse

Post by vanitypolice » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:13 pm

The quasimodi 309 is sampled right? Do you know where those samples come from (like the sources)?
I have found that when it comes to gear, believe the hype.

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:31 pm

vanitypolice wrote:The quasimodi 309 is sampled right? Do you know where those samples come from (like the sources)?
Uh, the 909 and the 808, right? Any others?

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:22 pm

Novation Drumstation. Very good analog modeled 909 and 808 in one box with proper controls

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:03 am

D-16 Drumazon is tops plug-in. I am starting a small religion on it now.