New Korg Kaossilator

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:39 pm

killedaway wrote:
i'd like to hear that. you had this one in particular that i really liked, but it doesn't seem like it's on your myspace anymore. do you swap out your tracks from time to time?
Yes, I always finish a batch and replace...which will happen again soon. Thanks for listening.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:22 am
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood
Location: California, US

Post by killedaway » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:26 am

JSRockit wrote: Yes, I always finish a batch and replace...which will happen again soon. Thanks for listening.
well, if that's the case, where can i find your old(er) tunes? there was one that i'm almost certain had a sample of like a baby or a girl, some short vocal phrase... i loved that one. and actually, i like all your tracks that i've heard. they don't use very many of rap music's conventions, which is bloody refreshing! normally, about the only "rap" i can stomach is Bloodhound Gang and Stromkern, though my brother turned me on to a guy called MC Chris that's pretty clever. which isn't to say that i dislike what rap does musically; it's just that so much of the lyrical content is utter dreck and turns me off to the whole thing. your stuff has substance to it and that's part of why i like it.
1.5.9.13
1.5.9.13

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Post by JSRockit » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:39 am

killedaway wrote:
JSRockit wrote: Yes, I always finish a batch and replace...which will happen again soon. Thanks for listening.
well, if that's the case, where can i find your old(er) tunes? there was one that i'm almost certain had a sample of like a baby or a girl, some short vocal phrase... i loved that one. and actually, i like all your tracks that i've heard. they don't use very many of rap music's conventions, which is bloody refreshing! normally, about the only "rap" i can stomach is Bloodhound Gang and Stromkern, though my brother turned me on to a guy called MC Chris that's pretty clever. which isn't to say that i dislike what rap does musically; it's just that so much of the lyrical content is utter dreck and turns me off to the whole thing. your stuff has substance to it and that's part of why i like it.


Awesome ...thanks for that. I agree with you about alot of rap. Alot of the time, I buy instrumental versions of albums. Anyway, I could send you a CD of my old stuff if you want... pm me.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
Twiddler
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:43 pm

Post by Twiddler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Rocketman> tell us tell us tell us what it's like! first impression?

Does anybody know a EU shippingdate ? Couldn't find it on thomann...

this will be great for schoolconcerts (7 yr old kids will love it!)... and maybe more.
:P

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Post by JSRockit » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Twiddler wrote:Rocketman> tell us tell us tell us what it's like! first impression?

Does anybody know a EU shippingdate ? Couldn't find it on thomann...

this will be great for schoolconcerts (7 yr old kids will love it!)... and maybe more.
:P
I thought it was available everywhere but the US...

http://www.thomann.de/fi/korg_kaoss_kao ... ntable=yes
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5758
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:39 pm

People better start listening to more EDM here or pretty soon synth gear won't just get released in the USA late, it won't get released here at all :(
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5758
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:43 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
that was fun to listen, specially for a whole album made just by one device using a X-Y pad live as the controller.
Actually it should give people with rooms full of gear a sense of shame that someone could create that much music with such a simple device.

Proof that the most important instrument is the one between your ears.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
ronP
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 7:20 pm
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish
Location: New York, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by ronP » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 pm

.

I like the X-Y pad Kaossilator concept, yet I consider myself to be a KEYsynth player; my Electribe is as far as I plan to drift from the black and white ivories unless in the future we are forced to use some kind of Ethernet MindSynth that creates sounds by the blink of an eye and then beams the music directly into an audience's brain.

.
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

User avatar
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:22 am
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood
Location: California, US

Post by killedaway » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:08 pm

meatballfulton wrote:People better start listening to more EDM here...
what is "EDM"? Elderly Date Music? :oops:
1.5.9.13
1.5.9.13

c1t1zen
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:52 am

Post by c1t1zen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:53 am

I just picked up a Kaossilator at Big City Music, They have them on their webpage with free shipping.

THIS IS FUN!!

I already passed it around the office and everyone was rocking out with it. I think the sounds overall are better then the presets on my MicroKorg or MS2000. More variety and the Y axis lets you do some pretty cool filters or delays. On the drums the the further you go up the Y axis the more percussion sounds get added on to a drum loop. I'm pretty sure this will be a hit and the next version will include MIDI...I'll get that also.

I mean the best part is it really fits in a pocket.

My PMA-5 doesn't fit in a pocket and its sounds feel more dated, though it does have MIDI. If you want handheld and touchscreen with MIDI get a PMA-5 if you want a fun on the go scratch pad for musical ideas or times of boredom the Kaossilator is the way to go.

User avatar
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2860
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline
Location: Synth Garden
Contact:

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:40 am

c1t1zen wrote:I just picked up a Kaossilator at Big City Music, They have them on their webpage with free shipping.
wow, now everybody's are finally ready to get one and BC Music is going to be famous because of this :D
c1t1zen wrote:I think the sounds overall are better then the presets on my MicroKorg or MS2000.
that's even cooler..a synth that sounds better than those in such a small package. oh, the synth miniaturization is getting better :wink:
c1t1zen wrote:I'm pretty sure this will be a hit and the next version will include MIDI...I'll get that also.
sure, specially within the same price or at least bellow $249.
c1t1zen wrote:I mean the best part is it really fits in a pocket.
if you want a fun on the go scratch pad for musical ideas or times of boredom the Kaossilator is the way to go.

that's what the kaossilator are for.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Post by JSRockit » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Ok, I got one... it sounds better than I thought. However, I cannot find any way to quantize the drum hits...and there is no audio metronome, that I can find. It would be ok to have only one of these... but without a good audio metronome...it is hard to make drum tracks in good time. I'm not into using the loops.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

c1t1zen
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:52 am

Post by c1t1zen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:04 pm

Quantize the drums with the ARP/GATE, hold the button down for a sec. There's 49 different variations. I've been layering up sounds then "transforming" the sounds with the erase button, makes great glitch minimal techno. :lol:

I also really enjoy all the scales they put into this little thing, Egytian and Minor Penatonic are my favs.

User avatar
megawatt
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:28 am
Location: LA

Post by megawatt » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:51 am

c1t1zen wrote:Quantize the drums with the ARP/GATE, hold the button down for a sec. There's 49 different variations. I've been layering up sounds then "transforming" the sounds with the erase button, makes great glitch minimal techno. :lol:

I also really enjoy all the scales they put into this little thing, Egytian and Minor Penatonic are my f avs.
Right - in order to have something quantized use the different arps at different tempos on the drum programs. If you stop and and then start your arp the pattern will always begin on the downbeat. By mixing a few different arp patterns at different divisions of tempo you can get tons of original beats.

Again - you have to stop and start the sequence with your finger on the XY to get quantized patterns.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:05 am

Arp...yeah, thought of that. Not exactly what I wanted though... I'll just freewheel it.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Post Reply