Synths that should be more popular

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Synths that should be more popular

Post by Analogue Crazy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:19 pm

This thread is dedicated to all those synths that are not really popular but in your opinion should be. This is an opinion based thread so please respect eachothers opinions. We can also discuss why certain synths are not popular.

I will start us off:
ROLAND SH-7: I understand that this is very rare and probebly expensive but it has so many great features to offer. Brilliant interfacing, tons of modulation, unique sync, ring mod, duophonic. Maybe this synth is not popular because its rare and expensive. But come on, MS-20's are expensive too and people still buy them. Is it because its not a classic? Or is it because of the rumors about a weak filter?

ROLAND JUPITER-4: I know i don't shut up about this synth but its not at all popular compaired to its brothers and the Juno and JX synths. This really is a fantastic machine with one h**l of a meaty distinctive sound. It has some lovely features to offer. Amazing filter, super fast LFO, overdrive mode on VCA, arpeggiator, BIG unison modes. Maybe this synth is not popular because there is no CV interfacing. Is it because its really clunky compaired to the other Roland polysynths. Is it because it drifts out of tune? Minimoogs drift and everyone buys them. I belive that its worth buying the Jupe4 justfor the unison modes. Its possibly the fattest sounding synth Roland ever made and you can't beat its dry analogue power. I have played a JP-8 in unison and have yet to find a fatter sounding Roland.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Feelsee

Post by Feelsee » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 pm

I would say the Kawai K5000. It really has a beautiful sound quality as well as being highly programable + flexible - pads, and more percussive timbres also.

I think having an envelope for each harmonic is where its strengh lies, and the formant filter of course.

If the interface had more knobs, bearing in mind the 's' version did, it would certainly have attracted more buyers, and so only remains popular in a sense with those who own, and create music with it.
Kawai K5000s, FS1R, SY77, A5000, Powermac G5 2GHZ DP, Logic 7.2

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:34 pm

There are some synths that aren't popular at all and are still great, therefore still affordable, and still a nice secret.

They don't have a reputation or a following because nobody has used them in a specific way that makes others want to do the same.
Last edited by Alex E on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soundcloud.com/vectron

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:37 pm

I'd say the CAT, X-Station and JX-3P are pretty underrated. I'd say that this is the case with the ESQ-1 in general but on VSE it seems to be quite popular so I guess word has got around here.

Regarding the CAT, the reasons I can justify this include:

1) Not that many people have heard of it.
2) It's vintage but not from a reputable synth manufacturer (Moog/ARP/KORG/Roland etc.)
3) It's likely that many of the people that have heard of it may know it only as a rip-off of the ARP Odyssey.

Moving on to the X-Station:

1) It's a VA.
2) The "plastic" Novation sound.
3) Build quality.
4) Seen as a budget synth - all in one solution so the synth must not be up to scratch.

Finally the JX-3P:

1) Overshadowed by the Juno - mainly because of who used it I think.
2) Ugly to some - the 80s at their worst.
3) No hands on control without the PG-200.

Analogue Crazy
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:42 pm

The JX-3P is a right little jem. IMO it really holds its own against a Juno. The bass is not as earthy but i think the pads are just as good and i love the dual oscillator sounds. Sync mode is really nice. I also think that little sequencer can be very useful.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:44 pm

I think a lot of "underrated" synths are just hiding in the shadows of their more famous cousins. For example, the aforementioned Jupiter-4 tends to be overlooked in favor of the Jup-8.

The JX series tend to be underrated as well. Junos are more popular/famous, even though the JX series are technically superior in most respects. Probably because the JX series lack the discrete controls (without a programmer) that the Junos and Jupiters have. They lurk in the shadow of the Jupiter series as well, plus they had to compete with the DX7, and Roland for some reason made the JX series ugly looking (just because the DX7 has membrane buttons doesn't make it right ;) ). This is despite the fact that "The Final Countdown" used a JX-8P, "Take My Breath Away" used an MKS-70, among others.

Several great Moog synths stand in the shadow of the (famous and IMHO somewhat overrated) Minimoog. The Multimoog, and Prodigy come to mind, among others.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:46 pm

I'm ana analog freak, but I have one that again, many people don't yet understand why it's so cool.

Quasimidi Polymorph is easily my pick. Simply one of the best machines I own and that's including high end analog as well. It's sequencer and sound is so unique and pure bliss.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Elektron Monomachine
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 pm

PAiA 9700

Where else can you get a modular analog for under $600? I've owned two and am jonesing for a third one. Yes, it has it's quirks but so do the vintage analogs that are so lusted after.

With all the people clamoring for new inexpensive analogs, this should be at the top of the list.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Analogue Crazy
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 pm

The wiiden CS synths should be more popular (15d, 20m, 40m, 70m). The 20m and 40m have a wonderful sound and are very tweakable. They also have memory and great interfacing. Maybe most people don't have the room for them.

WDW

Post by WDW » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Dammit! You guys have mentioned five synths that I plan of acquiring relatively soon. I can already see the prices climbing. :cry:

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:58 pm

WDW wrote:Dammit! You guys have mentioned five synths that I plan of acquiring relatively soon. I can already see the prices climbing. :cry:

WD
delete and lock!!!!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:01 pm

WDW wrote:Dammit! You guys have mentioned five synths that I plan of acquiring relatively soon. I can already see the prices climbing. :cry:
That leaves the question...which five? ;)
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Alex E wrote: What would Jexus do?

hahaha what's this about ? :lol:

I'd say CRUMAR DS-2 :idea:
It's a beefy badass mono noone cares about.
But maybe it's gonna change soon.
Last edited by Jexus on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

500th Post!

Post by ronP » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:04 pm

CASIO MT-70 -- this preset synth with 345-note sequencer and analogue drum unit has the cleanest sounds I have heard from any 80's-era portable keyboard. No buzz, clips, or bleeps, just pearly sine wave goodness that takes effects like a champ!

:)

p.s. This is my 500th post!!!
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100