Synths that should be more popular

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:56 am

OriginalJambo wrote:The Casio CZs (not the 101!) have a pretty poor rep.

Just picked up a CZ-3000 for little monies so I'll be checking it out when it arrives to see if there's anything to fuss about. :P
Did you win the one listed as a "cx-3000" under electronic keyboards on ebay the other day? If so, nice find, I was thinking about bidding on it, but held out for a VZ-10m.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:04 am

sacredcow wrote:Did you win the one listed as a "cx-3000" under electronic keyboards on ebay the other day? If so, nice find, I was thinking about bidding on it, but held out for a VZ-10m.
Nope - it was a local ad here in Scotland, not eBay. I did get a fair deal but somebody's now selling a CZ-5000 for even less than I paid for the CZ-3000!

However they don't have pictures of the unit and don't mention the condition at all so maybe it's too good to be true.

Cycom
Gear: Mac Pro
T.C. Electronic Konnekt 24D
ADAM A7
SCI Prophet VS
Roland Super JX
Logic 8

Post by Cycom » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:37 am

gs wrote:
Analog Freak wrote:I think people are going to drag out the pitchforks and torches, but the Korg DSS-1 is one seriously underrated synthesizer. It might not have the deepest engine, but it's certainly comparable to many of the classic analog polysynths (CS-80, OB-Xa, Trident, Jupiter, etc.) and as far as I'm concerned, it has about 95% of the sound of those machines. In fact, it has a few tricks that the old guard can't match, like the wild digital delays, sample sync, and bitcrushing. Add to that the fact that you can use anything as samples, and it's an absolute crime that these go for less than $200 dollars. The moog-esque filters are the icing on the cake.
No pitchforks and torches from me. 8) I agree with everything you said. The DSS1 certainly sounds like a huge and powerful polysynth, digital waveforms notwithstanding. I use it for nearly all my synth-brass, analog strings, 'moog' style leads, and PPG-esque basses. It easily stands on-par with my JX10 for sheer analog pad heaven. A different sound of course (sort of like comparing the sound of a PolySix to a Juno) but equally as impressive.

So if the price is cheap, I say good. That's not a crime at all, that's the way it should be. Let it remain cheap. I got my DSS1 for $200 and my JX10 for $220 and between the two, I have all my polysynth needs met.

I don't think the price will rise on this one, with the lack of knobs and having to load up your patchbank from a floppy each time you turn it on. These are the things that keep this one from selling for much more. It's a true darkhorse of the synth world.

In fact, several of those other 12-bit samplers with analog filters (Prophet 2000, EmaxI) are great sleepers as well - they make excellent polysynths on the cheap and actually sound bigger and much more powerful than budget synths like JX3P or Poly61. The Korg however (IMO) has the thickest, moogiest sound of the 3.
Is the DSS-1 a common poly? I've never seen it on ebay. Now that I've heard some demos of I'm completely blown away.
"We try to encode the world, decoded and recorded on our machines." -Clock DVA

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:39 am

Cycom wrote:Is the DSS-1 a common poly? I've never seen it on ebay. Now that I've heard some demos of I'm completely blown away.
You're kidding! DSS-1s come up all the time---like every week or two. Check back in a few days, I'm sure you'll find one.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p