Worst Korg synth EVER!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri May 30, 2008 12:19 am

nitkov wrote:i think that most of us get frustrated with er-1 when we expect it to be the main drum machine. for me, it shines as an additional spice to the main rhythm
+1. I've only had mine for a week or so (a friend gave it to me for free because it was "broken", just had to re-solder the power jack to the board and it's working fine) but thus far I'd definitely agree with this sentiment. I have my Zoom MRT-3B MIDI'd up to the ER-1 and going through its Audio In. They make a nice little, cheap duo.

You can have the ER-1 make some nice metallic sounds via its built-in delay, just set the Depth high (about 3 o'clock), and the Time low (around 6 o'clock) , then twiddle for variation.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri May 30, 2008 12:23 am

Perhaps the Korg Karma is the worst Korg synth ever!

Use it sparsely people, sparsely...

and I have one too!
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 30, 2008 12:27 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:What was your experience with the 707?
It's basically a Yamaha FB01 synth engine with a keyboard and a quasi-subtractive programming interface. Same as the DS-8 but fewer keys and M1-like styling. Ran on batteries (keytar alert!!).

The bad news was that the easier programming meant you lost full control of the operators so really extreme FM stuff wasn't possible.

My vote for worst:

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri May 30, 2008 12:45 pm

The only Korgs I've owned have been a Poly-800 and a DW-8000. I have to say that I was seriously underwhelmed by the Poly-800. It never really sounded anything other than ordinary; the programming interface was very limited and limiting; it felt really flimsy; the C-cell-powered patch memory was a joke.

Probably not the worst Korg or eve the worst synth Inothig to've ever played, but nothing to write home about. At least it's cheap.

mute

Post by mute » Fri May 30, 2008 1:08 pm

i've never been a fan of the poly-800. actually, that's not entirely true because at one point (mid-late 90s) i saw it as being one of the few analogues i could afford. later on i owned 2.. a mkI that had really fidgty power issues and after i sold that a reverse keys version that i just had to have for nostalgic reasons. i sold that pretty quickly tho. it's not a bad synth at all and it has some nice qualities to it, but there are better options. it's alot like a jx3p really in terms of features and design, but without a better method of parameter editing (where the jx's and mk's had PG-XX controllers available the poly800 had nothing).

remember that old frustrating atari 2600 problem where the power input would always become loose and unstable? often requiring replacement or resoldering? that pretty much sums up my experience with the poly800.

other than that though, like many of the other posters... i find it really hard to pick something notoriously bad by Korg.. they have a pretty kick a*s track record. people early on when the kaoss pad came out, really liked to knock it down and talk trash.. but look how popular and feature driven they are now. i think that's one of the best things about korg.. they tend to pick up and improve their products over time based on their users wishes.. specially in modern times w/ the internet giving a better forum for feedback, demonstrations and knock offs. it kind of goes both ways tho because korg often tries to keep their product prices low by trimming down on something, like the sampling rate or build quality. they also do really quirky things that alot of korg lovers have come to actually appreciate.. like 4 voice synths w/ mono modes (mono/poly, poly6, ms2000, etc).

im so anxious for the DS-10 that i keep trying to forget about it. july is too far away and i dont like to wish for time to pass so its easier to forget about it. :wink:

about their build quality btw.. it kind of depends what you are buying. it'll either be metal and kick a*s, or it'll be light and plastic. but they're usually reliable in any case (outside of my poly800 experiences).
Last edited by mute on Fri May 30, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Fri May 30, 2008 1:16 pm

I have not much negative to say about Korg. They still use metal casing for some of their products in the affordable category. I also like the fact that they are not affraid to attacth some wood on their synths :wink:
One thing I disliked was the scaled MS-20 controller for the legacy collection. It seems like they were a little too happy about small keys a few years ago.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Fri May 30, 2008 1:17 pm

philip wrote:Triton for sure
I for one, love the Triton. The pad sounds I get from it are incredible. I have the rack version and almost it's maxed out on upgrades. The MOSS board rivals the AN1x and the sampling is great. Getting all the free sound libraries from Korg Forums makes it that much more of a work-horse in my synth arsenal. I know many say that the Yamaha Motif has better acoustic sounds than the triton, but they are both romplers and there are plenty of sample libraries out there to make it sound better in that arena.

We all have our likes and dislikes and I would be proud to respectfully negate your dislike of the triton. :wink:

-Pilot

P.S. I own 4 Korg synths and of the 4, the MS2K(s) are the weakest. I still like them though!!!
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

lemurman
Gear: Bassline, Evolver, SH101, K-Station, EMX, MS10, XBase09, MS2000r, X0xb0x

Post by lemurman » Fri May 30, 2008 1:23 pm

gfriden wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Korg ER-1
Why do so many people dislike this unit I wonder? Is there someone here who can say something good about it?
I've had a love/hate relationship with my ER1 since I bought it 8 years ago. I'm currently going through a love stage so I'm glad I never sold it. As others have said if you try and use it as a 909 or fat beat machine you'll end up very frustrated with it unless you process the h**l out of it.

If you treat it as a percussion synth/sequencer either as an addition to another beefier sounding machine or use it just for chillout/ambient/electro you'll keep it for ever. I use my ER1 far more than I use my EMX. It's great for jamming and live use too.

Edit - also, it's small and light so great for carrying about in rucksacks for festival gigs and if it gets stolen/broken can just buy a replacement cheap off Ebay (just make sure it's backed up).

Oh and the 2 audio inputs are great for quick and dirty mixing for minimal setups so an extra mixer isn't needed.
Last edited by lemurman on Fri May 30, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 30, 2008 1:30 pm

gfriden wrote:
Why do so many people dislike this unit I wonder? Is there someone here who can say something good about it?
I like drum machines with the boom and the bap...not the poof and the fizz.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

mute

Post by mute » Fri May 30, 2008 1:35 pm

actually yeah, the er-1 and ea-1 kind of mystify me. they seem so underpowered.. the latter versions are much better tho, er-1 mkII, mx, emx. people also seem to think the ea-1 has the exact same engine as the microkorg and ms2000.. which is BS. the filters, specially the resonance which sounds totally fake and synthetic, are nothing like the mk/ms2k. that said tho.. one person's flop is another persons favorite bit of gear. i can still see an attraction for the er-1 for those that want an affordable (virtual) analogue drum machine and not something sample based. i think that's an important distinction to make if you are looking at the er1.. its mostly about creating your tones,..not using the pcm sounds. shame it's limited to so many parts tho and you can't really modify the pcm parts (hihats).

lemurman
Gear: Bassline, Evolver, SH101, K-Station, EMX, MS10, XBase09, MS2000r, X0xb0x

Post by lemurman » Fri May 30, 2008 1:56 pm

JSRockit wrote:
gfriden wrote:
I like drum machines with the boom and the bap...not the poof and the fizz.
Yeah, I agree really - I think that's the most frustrating thing about the ER1, if the sounds were just that bit beefier, if there was a bit more zap to the envelopes, it would be so much more versatile than it is.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:12 pm

You are joking, right?
I have the rack and I think it's wonderful. Especially at pads & soundscapes.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Fri May 30, 2008 2:19 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
Jexus wrote:Image

?
I wish I had tried the 707 when it came out. It reminds me of the Prophecy a bit.

What was your experience with the 707?
None.
That's why I gave the bold question mark.
Looks weak and the prices have always been very low.
So either it's underrated, or c**p, I gather.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri May 30, 2008 2:26 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Perhaps the Korg Karma is the worst Korg synth ever!

Use it sparsely people, sparsely...

and I have one too!
great sound, but completely unusable. the karma was my first workstation synth and almost cured me of them forever.

Brad

Post by Brad » Fri May 30, 2008 3:03 pm

How can you say that!? Like others I have the Rack version but have had the classic 61 and 76 - cant fault them, IMO the older ones were better than the newer versions.

I'd like to ask, have you actually ever owned one!?