Some advice on first synth?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Postby FluoD » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:01 pm

You would recommend them then?

I've always been a bit scared of being scammed on that sort of service. i.e sending off money and getting nothing or a really terrible quality item. (HAH i really didnt need to explain that. oh well)
FluoD

Postby Salad Warehouse » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm not completely sure as to why you're shrugging off a powerful little synth like the microkorg just because it's used by lots of other synth/guitar bands. After all, the microkorg comes with 2 oscillators, 71 waveforms, a multimode filter (all modes resonant, btw, as compared to the non-resonant highpass of the juno and resonant lowpass) and 2 LFOs which can be assigned to a multitude of parameters. With such a large amount of possibilities for the same price as a used Juno (a used microkorg will cost about the same, that is) it seems like a poor choice from my point of view to settle for the lesser of 2 machines because of overuse. Yep, everyone in the 80s used the same M1 and DX7 sounds, but that doesn't mean that they always have to sound the same and be used in the exact same fashion. If you take the time to learn how to program it, the chances of you ending up with the same sounds as someone else are very slim. In my opinion, it's mostly about the music and coming up with original sounds, not the image.

If you are that put off by the overuse, why don't you look into perhaps an instrument like the AN1X or MS2000? The MS2000 is the same as the microkorg with the addition of some modulation sequencers. They go for about 400 USD on ebay for the rack, or sometimes less. You could buy the rack and a cheap controller and no one would think anything of it. The AN1X also looks like a good buy. I haven't played one myself, but I have seen some pretty good videos on Youtube about them and I know that many VSErs will vouch for them. When it comes down to simple specifications, the microkorg, MS2000 and AN1X eat the Juno for breakfast, so once you learn the basics of programming you won't be extremely bored coming up with similar-sounding patches. The only downfall I can see with the microkorg and MS2000 are the lack of polyphony, but if you go with the AN1X, you get 10 voices instead of the 6 on the Juno.

Plus, all these synths have decent patch memory and MIDI, so when you get bored of being in a band, you can easily settle down and be a computer musician without having to shell out cash for a DCB-MIDI converter.
A-Juno 1, M1, microKorg, Electribe ER mkII

Nothing expensive or special, but it works
Salad Warehouse

Postby FluoD » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:50 pm

I can see that, but i sort of slimmed down my reasoning against the microkorg so i didnt scare people away with the length of my post :P

I dont want to turn this into a microkorg deabte, and i fully respect it, but from my point of view a Juno is more hands on and as an ex piano player the keys are a big issue.

I know i coudl get the rack and have a controller, but i like the look of the junos and also the physical controls are quite a big draw for me. The microkorg is nowhere near as hands-on as the Juno. At least that is my impression.

Thanks for your contribution though. I have not bought anything yet, so am still willing to suggestions.
FluoD

Postby Joey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:54 pm

FluoD wrote:I can see that, but i sort of slimmed down my reasoning against the microkorg so i didnt scare people away with the length of my post :P

I dont want to turn this into a microkorg deabte, and i fully respect it, but from my point of view a Juno is more hands on and as an ex piano player the keys are a big issue.

I know i coudl get the rack and have a controller, but i like the look of the junos and also the physical controls are quite a big draw for me. The microkorg is nowhere near as hands-on as the Juno. At least that is my impression.

Thanks for your contribution though. I have not bought anything yet, so am still willing to suggestions.

have you considered the rack version of the korg ms2000?

it can be had for less than a new microkorg usually, and offers the same sound engine.

plus with that you can get your full size keys in your controller, and still have the great hands on interface.

and trust me, the sound capabilites it has blow the juno out of the water.

you could also take a look at the keyboard version of it, i'm a pianist myself, and the keyboard on the ms2000 isnt half bad.

I'd recommend one over a juno as a first synth any day just because of the sound design capability, it will really teach you about synthesis

the juno can only do so much, it may sound great, but if this is your first synth I wouldnt recommend it.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Salad Warehouse » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:05 pm

I know i coudl get the rack and have a controller, but i like the look of the junos and also the physical controls are quite a big draw for me. The microkorg is nowhere near as hands-on as the Juno. At least that is my impression

You're right, the microKorg isn't as hands on as the Juno, but once you get to know the matrix editor, you can FLY through it.

Anyway, you seem to have your mind dead set on not getting a microkorg, so I won't try and persuade you in that direction. However, the MS2000 rack (and keyboard, for that matter) is just as knobby and hands on as the Juno and as Joey said, it blows the juno out of the water. Plus, I think the MS2000 keyboard version looks bad a*s.
A-Juno 1, M1, microKorg, Electribe ER mkII

Nothing expensive or special, but it works
Salad Warehouse

Postby JMP » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:38 pm

FluoD wrote: I've always been a bit scared of being scammed on that sort of service. i.e sending off money and getting nothing or a really terrible quality item.

Well yes, you'll never get away from that, just use your head. I've had stuff come up within reasonable driving distance when searching before. Just depends on how much you want it and how far you're prepared to travel for it !!
JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Phenom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:38 pm

I'm not putting down the microkorg, the MS2000 was one of my favourite VAs, but I just think the Junos 6/60/106 are the best teachers of synthesis, simplistic as they are, all the basic concepts are there. As for it being a lesser synth, it's all about where your priorities lie.

In the peak period of VA synths being released, I would head into music shops and demo away, and be impressed by the specs, but I'd go home and play my admittedly cheap analogues and think to myself "f**k nord, f**k novation" etc. I just don't think that sound was there from a VA (not starting a RA vs VA rant)

I had an MS2000 for years and it sat above my Juno so i had lots of opportunity to A/B them, The Juno's still there, though I do miss the mod sequencer.
Phenom

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide