My Poly-800 plays the wrong tone

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

My Poly-800 plays the wrong tone

Postby erko » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi! I bought a Korg Poly-800 recently and everything seemed to work perfectly until I played with my band. I discovered that something was really strange with the "tuning". When I hit a F on the synth I actually played a A. And when I I played an E the note was G# etc etc... On the Poly-800 there's a tuner but that can only slightly change the tone. Has anybody any clues on how I tune the synth correctly?

Cheers,
Erik
erko

Re: My Poly-800 plays the wrong tone

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Check that what you're comparing it to is in tune.
If it does this only on some sounds, check that the oscillators are not detuned to produce this effect.
If it does this for every sound, I forget, isn't there a transpose function on the Poly? Check it if so...
Otherwise, maybe someone messed about with a trimmer inside.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby erko » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:26 am

Hi and thanks for your reply!
It's the same with all sounds. I have read the manual and have not found the transpose function but I'll read again an see if I find any information. To be continued...

// Erik
erko

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:32 am

The tuning slider is on the top on the left, see if you can bring it back in tune with that. Ours is pretty flat and needs the slider all the way over to one side.

If you can't get it back in tune with the slider there's a trimpot inside I believe but I can't help you more cause I've never opened one up before. Try googling, there are quite a few documented mods for it out there and one of them might mention altering tuning while you've got it open.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby erko » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:56 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The tuning slider is on the top on the left, see if you can bring it back in tune with that. Ours is pretty flat and needs the slider all the way over to one side.

Hi!
Yeah, I've tried it but it's not enough. The slider range is not large enough. I'm looking through the manual now hoping to find more information. I''ll hopefully post a solution soon.
/Erik
erko

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Here is a list of the P-800 trimpots and what they do. VR2 and VR5 are the ones replaced in the "Moog Slayer" modification.

VR1 - DCO Pitch adjust
VR2 - VCF Frequency adjust
VR3 - White Noise level adjust
VR4 - DCO Fine tune adjust
VR5 - VCF resonance adjust

Anyway, if [b]all[b] patches are out of tune, VR1 and VR4 are the ones to adjust. Center the tuning control on the front panel before adjusting these.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby erko » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks for the info meatballfulton! I think I'll have to try your solution to make it work because I couldn't find anything in the manual that helped me.

/Erik
erko

Postby cornutt » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Isn't the Poly-800 a DCO synth? It shouldn't be that far out. My guess is there's a transpose function somewhere that's still active. Otherwise, it may have some kind of issue with the DCO clock source.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Return to HELP!