My "New" Toy Is Here! =)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

My "New" Toy Is Here! =)

Post by Box » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:40 pm

My Roland JX-3P just arrived on Thursday, was going to post yesterday but had eye appointment, and I LOVE IT!!! I managed to get in on eBay for $190 shipping included. Haven't gotten to pics yet, having too much fun playing :D . The only real problem is that the bottom "loop" that holds the G# key down is broke, so that key needs replacement. But aside from that everything else is awesome. It's in great cosmetic shape, no dents, gouges, barely any surface scratches. The paint and plastic was dry so I put some Armor All on it and it came back to showroom new in appearance. Now to the important stuff, SOUND. I just love the sound this thing makes. I have noticed that the 3P has noticeably snappier envelopes and isn't as "bright" sounding as the 8P, which is perfect since I'm mainly using it for bass and sometimes pads. Does anyone know why the 3P is so much snappier, analogue envelopes maybe? But I've already made the Jupiter bass from "Axel F." on it, sounds quite close too. This afternoon I'll make the bass patch to Nena's "99 Luftballons" on it. The sequencer is also quite fun to play with, I can play "Heart & Soul" by myself now. :) It's real cool to have the sequencer running and mess with different parameters. Also, the editing is super easy. Only took me a few minutes to get the hang of it. I can't wait till Monday when I have band practice to show it off. I'm officially in LOVE WITH ROLAND!!! I'll have to post some demos once I've programmed more sounds.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: My "New" Toy Is Here! =)

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Excellent, Box! Glad to know you're diggin' it. Here are some demos that Don Solaris did (these were passed on to me):

http://www.astro.hr/ucionica/tom/roland ... -Demo1.mp3
http://www.astro.hr/ucionica/tom/roland ... -Demo2.mp3

I'll look forward to hearing yours, too.

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm in love with Roland too. I never really thought I would be either. The Juno60 changed my mind. Any plans on getting the external knob editor? Seems like a wise choice since you play in a band.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:03 pm

The JX-3P is a good all-round analogue board that really comes alive with the PG-200, although it's certainly not necessary by any means.

It's true that you can get some great pads out of it but I wouldn't say the bass sounds are really its forte. I suppose it may fare better than your JX-8P...I wouldn't know of course.

The software envelopes aren't the slowest, but they certainly aren't as snappy as the Juno-6/60's offerings. Also as you said the general character seems to be richer in mids - the Juno sounded a lot more balanced to my ears. Not necessarily a bag thing but something to definitely take note of nonetheless. Some people say it has a "metallic" quality to it as well and I sorta can see where they're coming from with that.

Personally I think it really excels at thin, 80s sequences (think Bronski Beat's "Smalltown boy") and that's what I love about it the most.

Anyway, good to hear you're having a blast with it. :thumbup:
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Box wrote:I have noticed that the 3P has noticeably snappier envelopes and isn't as "bright" sounding as the 8P, which is perfect since I'm mainly using it for bass and sometimes pads. Does anyone know why the 3P is so much snappier, analogue envelopes maybe?
The JX3P is often described as the analog synth with the slowest envelopes!
Box wrote:Also, the editing is super easy. Only took me a few minutes to get the hang of it.
I've had 3 JX3Ps, and in the previous two, I always had the PG-200. I currently don't, and to be honest, in some ways... it's better without it!
The PG is awesome for letting you visualize the programming structure of the JX. If you plan to adjust a module to suit your tastes in a studio setting, it's pretty great.
However... the thing you'll find out pretty quickly is that the PG's settings probably don't represent the settings of the current patch you're using. It gets to be a little irritating in live performance when you reach down to be expressive with a knob, and suddenly you make a horrible noise because the knob was in a VERY different place than the patch's parameter was set.
Also, in live performance, those TINY, SMOOTH, UNSEEABLE knobs can be frustrating to manipulate... god help you if your hands are moist.
I hate the "one parameter at a time" interface, but it is easy to get the hang of quite quickly. Kind of fun. Don't tell anyone I said that.

Anyway, congrats on your acquisition. You'll have Juno people talking down to you, but don't let them. The JX is a better synth largely misunderstood due to lame interface. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:09 pm

Thanks for the sweet demos Scott!

I don't plan on getting the PG-200 ,or PG-800 for the JX-8P, considering they'd cost me more than what I paid for the synths! Funny that they say the 3P has the slowest envelopes... They're faster than the 8P's for sure, maybe cause the 3P has one and the 8P has two? But it's snappier than the 8P considerably, brass and bass for ex... I don't know why but it is. I've been playing so much that my back has started to hurt since I stand while playing; keeps me used to it since that's what I do in live situations. I had started to layer the 3P and 8P and got some interesting results. Back to programming I suppose.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:32 am

You do realise that the JX-8P envelopes are supposed to be really, really sluggish? I don't know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me that when compared to this the 3P's seem a bit nippier.

As I said before they aren't all that bad - just remember that the Juno (which the JX is rather similar to, in both sound and even architecture to some degree) has some of the snappiest envelopes I've heard to date.

Anyway if you are happy with them that's all that matters. As AG said, it's much more flexible than the more expensive Juno overall and IMO a better all-rounder.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:39 am

You're welcome, Box.

It's been years 'n' years since I've seen, let alone played, a JX3P.

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:30 am

OriginalJambo wrote:You do realise that the JX-8P envelopes are supposed to be really, really sluggish? I don't know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me that when compared to this the 3P's seem a bit nippier.

As I said before they aren't all that bad - just remember that the Juno (which the JX is rather similar to, in both sound and even architecture to some degree) has some of the snappiest envelopes I've heard to date.

Anyway if you are happy with them that's all that matters. As AG said, it's much more flexible than the more expensive Juno overall and IMO a better all-rounder.
Yep, me be happy with it. I'd say its bass is maybe a 8/10, very close sounding to Jupiter-8 (recordings anyway). It's the best bass I've had yet, Ion included. Yeah, I'll just tell the Juno owners to make me a detuned lead/bass or a a sync/xmod patch. :P But we all know that Moog is the the KING of BASS ,rated 14/10 (someone failed math?), and it blows everything into the wall. *wishes for MiniMoog to appear magically*. But I'm really pleased with the 3P, it's better than what I had expected. Have 5 user patches in it now. :D

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:03 am

The problem with the Juno, is that it has too many good factory presets. I found myself looking for the one to replace by usermade sounds when I was creating my own on the 106.

Like "hmm oh no that's a great strings sound..hm no that's that awesome flute thing can't erase that".

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:15 pm

Bitexion wrote:The problem with the Juno, is that it has too many good factory presets. I found myself looking for the one to replace by usermade sounds when I was creating my own on the 106.

Like "hmm oh no that's a great strings sound..hm no that's that awesome flute thing can't erase that".
I know, I hate it when they don't give you a user bank and force you to delete presets. That's why the JX beats Juno. :P

nigel

Post by nigel » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:20 pm

Aww... man, now I want one..

THANKS

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:18 pm

It is a cool synth. I agree that once you learn the structure with the PG200 - you can get by without it...

I second the slightly 'metallic' sound. Also I found that once you turn off the chorus it sounds considerably less cool....

Off topic - anyone compared the env speed with the SCI Prophet 600? They are in vaguely similar categories.....

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:34 pm

SWAN wrote:I second the slightly 'metallic' sound. Also I found that once you turn off the chorus it sounds considerably less cool....
Does everyone who thinks it sounds metallic think that might have something to do with the "metal" setting? :wink:

I find that once you turn on the chorus it sounds considerably less analog.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:01 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: I find that once you turn on the chorus it sounds considerably less analog.
I've noticed that the chorus rids some of the "buzziness", but it thickens the sound like corn starch thickens stew (simile for the day! :P). Wouldn't say it makes it less analogue, just smoother and more polished.