Do any analog synths < $1000 have a HPF with Resonance?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Robonaut
Gear: Roland JD-800
Roland JV-2080
Roland SH-101
Studio Electronics Omega 8

Do any analog synths < $1000 have a HPF with Resonance?

Post by Robonaut » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm starting to get back into music production after a lengthy break, and I'm looking for a new synth.

I love the sound of analog synths (who doesn't? :D ), but I also love the sound of high pass filters with resonance (for early Goa trance madness). I'm not having much luck tracking down a relatively affordable analog synth with a resonant high pass filter. Every analog synth that I've come across which does have a resonant high pass filter seems to be on the expensive side (like the Andromeda).

So, I'm wondering if there's any candidates that I'm missing?

Oh, and I know that there are several virtual analogs in this price range with resonant high pass filters (in fact, I already own a JP-8080) but I was kind of looking for the real thing.

Robonaut
Roland JV-2080
Roland SH-101

Re: Do any analog synths < $1000 have a HPF with Resonance?

Post by Robonaut » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Oh, and any candidates really should have MIDI, since I have the playing skills of someone who's feet have been switched with their hands.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:14 pm

Polyphonic or monophonic?

If you look real hard, you might be able to find a Jupiter 6 for under a grand. The current eBay price for JP-6 is $1200 - $1800.

I think most of the Yamaha CS line have resonant multi-mode filters. I do know that the CS-does, since I own one.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:12 pm

Wow, good question. Other than what's been mentioned above, I'm drawing a blank.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Z wrote:I think most of the Yamaha CS line have resonant multi-mode filters. I do know that the CS-does, since I own one.
Apart from the CS-01, which is stuck with a low-pass.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Sort of, because you need a kit to Midi it, but the Minikorg 700S has both highpass and lowpass resonant filters. Also sort of, because resonance isn't really tweakable unless you open the unit and adjust little trimpots. Instead, it has a switch that engages more resonance, and the trimpots control how much more. But they can be found for less than $500 USD if you look around. Personally, I like the Yamaha CS-10 idea better. A CS-15 requires two seperate CV/Gate controls.
Last edited by Solderman on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:17 pm

Depending on what capabilities you're looking for, you could probably build a simple synthesizers.com modular system with a multimode filter for under a grand. You can always expand on it later on as funds permit.

Of course, if you need polyphony or patch storage, that would rule out a modular.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Not a whole synth, but the Frostwave Resonator will give you a resonant HPF, plus a LPF too, at a reasonable price.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm

PAiA 9700S modular

Analogue Solutions semBlance (not sure if it's still under $1000 due to the falling dollar)

Spectral Audio Neptune II

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:27 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Not a whole synth, but the Frostwave Resonator will give you a resonant HPF, plus a LPF too, at a reasonable price.
Sadly, it is no longer in production. As is the case with all the Frostwave products.

cheers,
Ian

Robonaut
Roland JV-2080
Roland SH-101

Post by Robonaut » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:48 pm

Ooooooooh, the Neptune 2 does look rather interesting, doesn't it? =P~

There doesn't seem to be that much info out on the Web about them, though.

Any thoughts on the reliability of Spectral Audio's products? There seems to be multiple comments to the effect that the build quality is a little suspect. :(

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:29 pm

Robonaut wrote:Neptune 2 does look rather interesting, doesn't seem to be that much info out on the Web about them
Spectral Audio is a tiny company with spotty US distribution over the years (much like MFB). That's why you can't find much info...at least in English.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:26 am

If its a monosynth youre looking for ad Oberheim SEM and Yamaha SY-2. Or steal a Korg MS-20. You can allways control them from midi with av (Kenton) midi to Cv konverter.

If you want a polysynth, get a Yamaha CS-50. You can midifie it later if you get rich. When I got my first CS-50 I could hardly tell the white keys from the black. But it sounds so fantastic that you play it anyway. :mrgreen:
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:17 am

aeon wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:Not a whole synth, but the Frostwave Resonator will give you a resonant HPF, plus a LPF too, at a reasonable price.
Sadly, it is no longer in production. As is the case with all the Frostwave products.

cheers,
Ian
We'll see about that. ;)

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:39 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
aeon wrote:
We'll see about that. ;)
Do tell! ...
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!