Depeche Mode Blasphemous Rumours Pad Sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Depeche Mode Blasphemous Rumours Pad Sound

Post by Joey » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:04 am

One of my favorite DM songs... Does anyone know what synth does the pad sound that runs throughout most of the song? It comes in at around 00:33

I'm pretty sure its gotta be a DX7, but I could be wrong.

Micke?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Re: Depeche Mode Blasphemous Rumours Pad Sound

Post by xpander » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31 am

Joey wrote:One of my favorite DM songs... Does anyone know what synth does the pad sound that runs throughout most of the song? It comes in at around 00:33

I'm pretty sure its gotta be a DX7, but I could be wrong.
you mean that oboe/bassoon sound? don't discount the Emulator, Fairlight or even PPG- they all seem to be fair game. too bad my old DX7IIFD is still at my parents' house, i have a pretty big library of factory patches that define a lot of 80s music. the sound i'm thinking about doesn't jump out as DX7 to me unlike the higher octave sequence playing throughout the whole thing.

around 2:48 there's a solo:
[youtube]muziKxIyh5g[/youtube]

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:45 am

That is the shawm sample, also used for the melody in Everything Counts, played on the Synclavier. It's just played at a lower pitch and is run through more effects. I think the only thing analog in that song is the bass: probably a Moog Source.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:23 am

I'm talking about the long evolving pads that come in, not the other one ... Or is that the same patch?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:32 am

Solderman wrote:That is the shawm sample, also used for the melody in Everything Counts, played on the Synclavier. It's just played at a lower pitch and is run through more effects. I think the only thing analog in that song is the bass: probably a Moog Source.
How do you know it was played on the synclavier ?

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:21 am

Where on earth did they find a shawm to sample?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:04 am

Solderman wrote:That is the shawm sample ...
that would explain why i couldn't place it as distinctly oboe or bassoon... a different double reed altogether.

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:35 pm

in the 2:48 solo it sounds layered with another similiar sound with more attack. Or is the pad part of the sound a result of lots of effects?

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:07 pm

waveterm wrote:
Solderman wrote:That is the shawm sample, also used for the melody in Everything Counts, played on the Synclavier. It's just played at a lower pitch and is run through more effects. I think the only thing analog in that song is the bass: probably a Moog Source.
How do you know it was played on the synclavier ?

WT

There is a very big chance it was. They used it extensively on that album. In an interview, Alan says sampling accounts for about 90% of the sounds used for the album. But they're not necessarily straightforward samples and certainly not library samples either. Alan was very fond of the additive and resynthesis capabilities of the synclavier. He made great use of that and samples could end up being resynthesised beyond recognition!! And don't forget that DM liked to layer sounds heavily too

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:50 pm

The bass definately sounds like a moog.

Anyone knows what synth was used for the sequencer intro to "Told You So"?

hotdave8t6

Post by hotdave8t6 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:58 am

Could I buy these samples of Depeche Mode as wave files on d.v.d. , from You ??? ?... , hotdave86@hotmal.com , 647.766,8619 ( name eh low price please ?... ) :lol: :D

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Wow, that's some thread resurrection. :)

Haven't got the originals but an offer you the closest I ever got:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not a synth at all! It sounds a lot like the Hohner melodica that Martin Gore plays on "Everything Counts". Just add lots of reverse reverb, then more again.

I think the shawm is just a rumour- he mimes with one in the video for "Everything Counts". Live, he uses the melodica at 4'10":

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 am

madtheory wrote:I'm pretty sure it's not a synth at all! It sounds a lot like the Hohner melodica that Martin Gore plays on "Everything Counts". Just add lots of reverse reverb, then more again.

I think the shawm is just a rumour- he mimes with one in the video for "Everything Counts". Live, he uses the melodica at 4'10":
No there really is a Shawm sample in Everything Counts, the band themselves have mentioned it several times in various interviews over the years. The Hohner Melodica and Shawm samples are two completely different parts in the song. The Shawm is the two note part after the marimba type part with a trill at the start of the second line, and the melodica is in the middle 8 and end sections :)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:16 pm

sandwich wrote:The Hohner Melodica and Shawm samples are two completely different parts in the song. The Shawm is the two note part after the marimba type part with a trill at the start of the second line, and the melodica is in the middle 8 and end sections :)
Completely different parts in the song yes, but both are reed instruments that sound very alike, because the shawm despite being a double reed has a presence peak like the Hohner, due to its shape. Plus there's a helluva lot of forward and reverse reverb. Such a simple reedy sound is going to end up quite "blurred".

Anyway, the point I was making is that it's not a synth!