Spectralis II

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: Spectralis II

Post by Zamise » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:06 am

hyphen nation wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Didn't see mention of memory card format... is he sticking with SM (bad)?
The sampling paragraph of the "about" press release says there is one gig of memory on the machine that is expandable to two gigs...as well as an SD slot, and a usb port [drag and drop samples]

Zamise, you have a Spectralis, right? I am not familiar enough with it [though I have looked at it on and off for years] what do you think about this? Is it really a big change into the MKii? Is it something you would bother upgrading to?From everything I have ever heard by people who can rock these things, they have consistently sounded pretty amazing...

There is a whole lot to the Specki, almost any one of which is enough to justify its price in my book. The deal is, Jorg and Radikal isn't a massive company, its amazing he gets as much as he has done on it. I'm not sure I have the latest OS on mine. I believe I have the Arpocolips version, thinking there is one or two versions after it still, not 100% sure. I've got all I want on that version, and I'm the type to worry a bit when updating OSes, I like to hold off a while. There is a menu or submenu select here and there that would be nice to have if and when implimented, and I don't think the onboard instruction or help is on my version. Don't really really need that stuff, can get along fine without it. The Arpegiattor was the big thing I was waiting for forever, and it turned out not to be that big of deal. I consider it a completed OS, what OS is ever fully complete? Always something for someone to complain about, and it makes me happy that Jorg and his crew will be continuing on.

The Specki II, from what I'm gathering, will not be much difrent than the first other than the obvious visual appearence buttons and color etc.. The sound demos on the page seem like the same ones used from the mkI (as I'm calling it now). It looks like it'll have one SM card slot, but it seems like we'll be able to use a usb flash or thumb to store too perhaps instead as well(?), the usb will support usb2 (not exactly sure the dif but assume it'll be faster transfers) and you can also get adaptors for other types of cards that arn't outdated. I think subtle OS changes will be due to some other outdated or discontinued chips or electronic parts on the inside that users will likely not notice any difrence, probably a big change for manufacturing them tho. Also, the 1 to 2 gig internal memory will be for non-volitle data storage and sample storage, the volitle memory seems like it will still only hold 128meg, that means you can't have a sample over 128meg or so still. I hope I got that right, thats still a lot for a hardware sampler. The OSs will vertually be the same, one will say .9x the Specki 2 will be 1.0. 1.0 usually means a whole and completed version, I think its a milestone for Radikal to have it say 1.0. And, my hope is that any future OS changes or updates featurewise made to the mkII will be paralleled on the mkI. There sounds like there will be a hardware update package for the mkI as well, if its just a memory expansion for storage and what else I don't know all the details, but if you have it hooked through USB to your computer it will prob be uneccessary like the SM slots once USBed up.

What else can I say without knowing all that much really... It looks like they've geared their web site up to be selling them soon, if they are in production I don't really know. They don't look like something if you have mkI you will need to sell it and get the mkII. If your thinking of getting a new one though, may want to wait for the 2 to be on the shelfs. Or, if you want to keep up with Joneses. Looks like he will have one for at Winter NAM. Man, I wish I could go to one of them someday.

Anyhow, I'm not sad that my spectralis will be relegated to a mkI status, its a great machine, hard to understand at times, its not for the weak minded and synth noobs, its worth it for the Hybrid Analog Synth part alone, yet you get all these extras with it too you won't see on other high end VAs and performance synths. I consider it more like a performance modular in a groovebox form then a workhorse production sequencer. I do need to spend more time on it, but it is hard sometimes when I'm so use to making the majority of my tunes on another great machine that I'm a lot more familar with, RS7000.

Enough for now, and keep in mind what I say could be totally wrong too and probably causing more confusion than helping to understand, lots of thoughts on it, but I've got to get my butt off VSEF now.

Zam
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Hey Zamise, Thx for the dope response...

I am going to be intrigued to see what the reviews of the latest implementation of the OS and extra internal memory are like...really, I just need to put some time in on one...they have consistently sounded fairly awesome when ever users have posted stuff, but just as consistently, I have read people complain about the OS, and user experience...for me, it's just a hair on the upper scale of what I want to spend on synths to buy without having put some time in on it...

Thx again for the thoughtful response...

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:27 am

Jorg posted a camera phone pic of the real deal:

<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:13 pm

If it was yellow, it'd be a Q rack 2.

I wonder why nobody's using those computer keyboard keys with lights in them anymore - they'd certainly work better than clicky little plastic knobs. If you want to program a quick snare roll, all you have to do is drag your hand over those keys.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:57 pm

I've been on the fence over a spectralis for several years now. The ONLY reason I have not purchased it was due to my trepedation over its incomplete OS. If the OS has all promised features on the day of its release, I may finally break down and pick one up... That is unless the Linndrum has similar features (the linndrum's UI looked MUCH nicer to work with on the last series of pics that were released months ago).

We shall see.
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 pm

I like the Spectralis and the new one looks nice, but I presonally prefer the old one. I love those lite buttons it had. I don't care for these tiny buttons. Too many companies use them. I want chunky buttons. I wonder when this is coming out?
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:41 am

stikygum wrote: I love those lite buttons it had. I don't care for these tiny buttons. Too many companies use them. I want chunky buttons.
I've been giving synth parts a lot of thought lately...I detest sooo many of the parts DSI uses...it actually compromises the product IMHO...
johans121 wrote: If the OS has all promised features on the day of its release, I may finally break down and pick one up... That is unless the Linndrum has similar features (the linndrum's UI looked MUCH nicer to work with on the last series of pics that were released months ago).
I think that is the crux of it...I have kinda gotten to the point with waiting for the Linndrum and enjoying my Machinedrum, that I have been pretty bored with the idea of it now...but recently I have been warming back up to it...especially if it kinda knocks the mpc back off my radar that i have been thinking about...so right now, while I have a few other purchases I am hoping to still be able to do this year, following the Linndrum and the Spectralis is where my head is at...

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:25 am

You mean like the DSI buttons. I didn't like them on desktop evolver. The MEK has better ones, but only marginally. I just don't like small buttons, they're no fun at all.

Is there a release date for the Spectralis 2?
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse