ARP odyssey

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

ARP odyssey

Post by michael stein » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:21 pm

My friend has an MKII odyssey with a problem. When a key is pressed the gate signal somehow causes the oscillators pitch to change and when the key is released the pitch changes again, the oscillators seem super drifty. The only way you can play it is to turn the release off completely and then your stuck with this semi portamento effect at the attack of the note. And then its stil impossible to tune. Any idea......?????
Thanks

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: ARP odyssey

Post by cornutt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Sounds like something is wrong with the sample-and-hold circuit that grabs the keyboard CV and holds it when a key is pressed. Sometimes, on an old synth, the circuit board around the S/H circuit's holding capacitor gets dirty, and it bleeds the charge off the cap when the gate closes. So the first step would be to locate the keyboard S/H and give that part of the board a good cleaning. Beyond that, it may be a faulty cap, or there may be something wrong with the op-amp that the charge holding cap is connected to. I'm not an Odyssey guru, so I can't be any more help than this.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Maybe the key contacts are dirty.

Do both oscillators exhibit the same symptoms? The Odyssey is duophonic, so that would mean the keyboard generates two CVs, there are two S&H circuits, etc.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:34 pm

I will have to check on that cornutt. This is a great start. Thanks duudes.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:10 pm

Tuning problems may be nothing more than dirty tuning sliders. I had that issue with my Odyssey, when I opened it up there were hairballs on all the sliders. I cleaned them out and then the pitch drift was gone.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.