Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:10 pm

So I received some new wood end panels from Synthwood this week and installed them this morning. Here are some shots of my (admittedly only five modest minutes of) labour.

The old end cheeks. Hard, fairly robust, but brittle plastic.

The new cheeks. Pacific Walnut (shipped complete with new bolts and screws).

I must say the new cheeks riase the aesthetic appeal of the synth. More on the CS-15 in a follow-up post, but for now, here are some more shots of the synth's interior: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjmwinkels/

Enjoy!

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Mmm, not bad. The left cheek on my CS-15 has a small crack in it that allows the panel to wobble slightly when I pick it up. I considered getting some replacements from customsynth.co.uk, but never got round to it. Maybe it's time.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:48 pm

:D

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:04 am

Nice one. What is that? Cherry? Maple with a stain?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 am

looks really good chris, glad you are enjoying it
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:24 am

I have got to call those people. They're even in my neighborhood!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:25 am

Cheers, Joey.

I have a very big, very long post to put up later this week regarding the CS-15. I've become quite taken with it and have a few observations to post. Plus I like to ramble. :oops:

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:05 am

Christopher Winkels wrote:Nice one. What is that? Cherry? Maple with a stain?
it's mahogany.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:I have got to call those people. They're even in my neighborhood!
don't ask him to make you something he hasn't already. hate to be public about it, but i did, he was very nice at first but later something happened to the guy and he became very rude and annoying. three months later only sent me one of the two sets i'd ordered.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:36 am

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:40 am

Man, I have to do this for my CS-15!! :D

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:10 pm

iProg wrote:Man, I have to do this for my CS-15!! :D

ditto. New cheeks and new knobs! Pimpin'

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:27 pm

I think it's great that people have the option to customize their synths but personally I prefer to keep my synths in their original state as much as possible.
I think part of what interests me in vintage synths is the fact that they tell a story about sound design, industrial design and manufacturing from another era. Apart from sounding great of course.
i wouldn't want my mass-produced, low-end market Cs-5 to have "american synth-style" wood cheeks because it would denature.
I'm just stating MY opinion and certainly respect other's point of view. In this case especially since they might be replacing damaged ones and it's just a matter of keeping the original ones to bring it back to stock.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:19 pm

BoxPhenom wrote:I think it's great that people have the option to customize their synths but personally I prefer to keep my synths in their original state as much as possible.
I think part of what interests me in vintage synths is the fact that they tell a story about sound design, industrial design and manufacturing from another era. Apart from sounding great of course.
i wouldn't want my mass-produced, low-end market Cs-5 to have "american synth-style" wood cheeks because it would denature.
I'm just stating MY opinion and certainly respect other's point of view. In this case especially since they might be replacing damaged ones and it's just a matter of keeping the original ones to bring it back to stock.
As a vilified purist, I understand your point.

That being said, I think the Japanese were wrong in their 1970s plastic-and-metal approach. We're just making better decisions. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:58 am

BoxPhenom wrote:I think it's great that people have the option to customize their synths but personally I prefer to keep my synths in their original state as much as possible.
Opinion noted. It's a valid one, and if the end cheeks were in A+ shape I might be inclined to keep them (or not... depending on how the wind blows). These ones had definitely seem better days though.

Funny you mention industrial design. I've been working on a very long missive about the CS-15. I should probably post it and address the topic.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:08 am

One other thought about wood....

It's not as though the wooden end cheeks were a purely Yank hallmark of the '70s and early '80s. Plenty of vintage American gear didn't have exposed wood sides: several Moogs (Micro, Poly, Sonic Six and Multi to name four), the Prophet VS and 2000, all Emulators, some ARP 2600 variants, Oberheim SEM-based gear, etc, etc.

Conversely the Japanese were not averse to doing wood sides, albeit often (though not exclusively) using particle board with melamine and HPL overlays in lieu of "real" wood: Yamaha''s CS-60, CS-40M, CS-20M, CS-70M, Roland's SH-1000, Korg's Polysix and MonoPoly.... I could go on.

I don't see the presence of wood as characteristic of one nation over another.