Moog Voyager Rack, anything lost other than keyboard?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Moog Voyager Rack, anything lost other than keyboard?

Post by synthmax » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:36 pm

Other than keyboard and mod wheels, is anything control-wise or feature-wise lost in the rack version? Methinks that might be my next purchase.

D-rex
Gear: DSI Tetra, Moog MF-102 & MF-105, Vestax Controller One, Rane TTM-56, Akai XR20, Korg Kontrol 49
Band: Anti-Dream Machine

Re: Moog Voyager Rack, anything lost other than keyboard?

Post by D-rex » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:40 pm

It's the exact same thing minus the keyboard, mod wheel, and pitch bend of course.

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Post by synthmax » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:01 pm

That's good. I know, for example, that if I were to get a Supernova II, I would go for the key version. Thankfully the Voyager is the same in both version.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:28 pm

Touch screen and I'm not sure how they handle the cv in and outs.

cl516

Post by cl516 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:36 am

full voyager needs vx351 for CV outs.
RME needs vx351 for CV outs, and vx352 for CV ins.
everything else has been mentioned above but i think the most important is the overall feel of the instrument is missing from the rack.

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by synthmax » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:16 am

I know it's an annoying question, but you could elaborate on the "lost feel"? In fact, if we are talking "feel", does it make sense to even go as far as to get Old School? RME is very tempting because of the price.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:51 am

I would interpret "lost feel" as not having the keyboard and the controls as one. The Voyager is extremely hands on and begs to be tweaked. I think it's like that for a lot of rack gear; even with a nice knobby midi controller, there's a oneness with the instrument that seems lost (at least to me.)

As to the Old School, if you don't feel you need the preset capabilities, then it would be a good choice.

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by synthmax » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:07 pm

Voyager keyboard is actually very large, with large sturdy knobs an lots of space between them. The rack version obviously must be quite a bit smaller. Any thoughts on the shrinking that's done to get the module to fit into a rack? Any compromises?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:15 pm

synthmax wrote:Any thoughts on the shrinking that's done to get the module to fit into a rack? Any compromises?
The touch screen accounts for the shrinking, in fact that's probably why it was removed.

You don't lose any "feel" if you keep the rack unit next to the keyboard playing it, eh #-o
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:51 pm

MarkM wrote:I would interpret "lost feel" as not having the keyboard and the controls as one. I think it's like that for a lot of rack gear; even with a nice knobby midi controller, there's a oneness with the instrument that seems lost (at least to me.)
I have always felt exactly the same way, it's good to know I'm not alone. :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric