Promising glance at the "Oddulator"

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
breitt

Promising glance at the "Oddulator"

Post by breitt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:57 am

Created by the genius at L.L. Electronics, maker of the Rozzbox, comes this gem:
Elektron Analog 4

stikygum

Re: Promising glance at the "Oddulator"

Post by stikygum » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:17 am

Are you eyeing this to tie you over once your Rozz is gone :mrgreen: This looks like a cool box. I'm glad to see Kilian expand his line.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:44 am

This looks neat! Plus I can't recall a lot of fully digital monosynths, only the prophecy comes immediately to mind. I wonder how much they are gonna ask.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:22 am

Wow... sounds boss... and value changes appear really smooth...

Looks pretty unique in terms of modulation contols/layout.
It cool to see someone taking a less traditional route to synth architecture.

breitt

Post by breitt » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:44 am

stikygum wrote:Are you eyeing this to tie you over once your Rozz is gone :mrgreen: This looks like a cool box. I'm glad to see Kilian expand his line.
Hah! The Rozz is sold and I'm not specifically looking for any other synths now, but this certainly is a nice alternative to the DSI model of creating small sonic mayhem machines. I hope Kilian is successful.

My next potential purchase would be the Acidlab Miami to take the place of my Jomox Xbase 09 whose interface is grating on my nerves.
Elektron Analog 4

mute

Post by mute » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:27 am

any ideas on the cost? im actually pretty excited about the layout of this thing. really inventive use of multimodes for the knobs and leds.. and the inclusion of a built in sequencer is slick.

Synthmatic

Post by Synthmatic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:44 pm

It looks interesting but depending on the price, the DSI Mopho might be a better deal. Is it polyphonic? If not, can they be chained together for polyphony?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Looks like it has a planned price of 450 euros, at least according to the post on youtube.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:27 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:Looks like it has a planned price of 450 euros, at least according to the post on youtube.
Ouch.. more than a blofeld. . It has charm, but at that cost I'd probably either go with a blofeld or a mopho/evolver.. I really dont see what the oddulator has over these 3 options, besides being... odd.

Hair

Post by Hair » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:13 pm

blitzdj86 wrote:It has charm, but at that cost I'd probably either go with a blofeld or a mopho/evolver.. I really dont see what the oddulator has over these 3 options, besides being... odd.
Knobs! I think that might be worth the price of admission alone, seems like it could kind of be a middle ground between an Evolver and a Revolution: weirdness with a delightfully knobby sequencer.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:25 pm

I would pay 550 usd for this if it has the ability to process external audio and the sequencer can be triggered from the front panel with no external midi hook ups. Of course considering that I'm unemployed this is all wishful thinking.

Edit*
also at this price it should be built like a brick s**t house.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:11 pm

Synthmatic wrote:It looks interesting but depending on the price, the DSI Mopho might be a better deal. Is it polyphonic? If not, can they be chained together for polyphony?
Disclaimer - I tried out a prophet 8 for a few hours, but never the mopho. As I understand it though, the mopho is pretty much a monophonic version of the p08, but with a sub oscillator. I also have a rozzbox, and am making the assumption that the oddulator is to a great degree a slimmed down rozzbox, so that people can get the rozz perversity but at a more reasonable cost.

I think that probably the mopho will be better for traditional type synth sounds, and the oddulator will be much better for sonic mayhem. I feel pretty secure in that prediction. I imagine that the oddulator will be considerably more expensive than the mopho (does the oddulator have only a digital filter? Has that been confirmed?), but I think that they are really not the same kind of synth.

I confess also - I really, really did not like the sound of the p08, and I very, very much like the sound of the rozzbox.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
Synthmatic wrote:It looks interesting but depending on the price, the DSI Mopho might be a better deal. Is it polyphonic? If not, can they be chained together for polyphony?
Disclaimer - I tried out a prophet 8 for a few hours, but never the mopho. As I understand it though, the mopho is pretty much a monophonic version of the p08, but with a sub oscillator. I also have a rozzbox, and am making the assumption that the oddulator is to a great degree a slimmed down rozzbox, so that people can get the rozz perversity but at a more reasonable cost.

I think that probably the mopho will be better for traditional type synth sounds, and the oddulator will be much better for sonic mayhem. I feel pretty secure in that prediction. I imagine that the oddulator will be considerably more expensive than the mopho (does the oddulator have only a digital filter? Has that been confirmed?), but I think that they are really not the same kind of synth.

I confess also - I really, really did not like the sound of the p08, and I very, very much like the sound of the rozzbox.
In your opinion how does the build quality of DSI and LL Electronics compare? How are the pots on the rozzbox?

breitt

Post by breitt » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:06 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

In your opinion how does the build quality of DSI and LL Electronics compare? How are the pots on the rozzbox?
I'm guessing drool would agree here--L.L. Electronics' build quality blows DSI out of the water. No comparison.
Elektron Analog 4

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:02 am

It's been awhile since I played with the dsi stuff, but what you say is consistent with my recollection. The rozzbox is pretty damn solid.