Matrix 12 Vs Jx10

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Strangenono
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6hd
Roland Jx10
Yamaha SY77
Band: Technoir

Matrix 12 Vs Jx10

Post by Strangenono » Tue May 05, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi,
I own a jx10 but I would like to replace it by something more grainy. The only one that seems able to reproduce this kind of sound with something more is the matrix 12. I really love the "oberheim sound" and I think it could add punch and charm to my sounds especially big pads and aggressive brasses which are the ones I need from these synths.Could someone give some toughts and advice about it ? Thx

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Matrix 12 Vs Jx10

Post by Z » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Not sure what you mean by grainy sound. I own a MKS-70 and Xpander (I dad have a M12, but regretably sold it). While the XP-1 & M-12 still have the Oberhiem sound, they're not as fat & thick sounding as its predecessors. Instead, it incorporates the most advanced synthesis machine I have ever seen in an analog poly.

I would leave the aggressive brass (a la JX-8P "Final Countdown") and lush pads to the Super JX and use a M-12 or XP-1 for complex textures.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed May 06, 2009 5:08 am

the matrix 12 isnt known for the 'oberheim sound' if you mean stuff like the old SEM's and OBX

the matrix 12 isnt known for the 'oberheim sound' if you mean stuff like the OBXa and OB8

the matrix 12 is known for its great sound, and amazing programmability
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed May 06, 2009 5:31 am

Joey wrote:the matrix 12 isnt known for the 'oberheim sound' if you mean stuff like the old SEM's and OBX

the matrix 12 isnt known for the 'oberheim sound' if you mean stuff like the OBXa and OB8

It may not be known for those sounds, but it certainly DOES sound like an oberheim... one that's at the end of a progression towards smoothness and complexity. :wink:

But yeah, if its brass ye want, I think obxa is the way...
Do you even post on vse bro?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed May 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Joey wrote:the matrix 12 isnt known for the 'oberheim sound' if you mean stuff like the old SEM's and OBX

It may not be known for those sounds, but it certainly DOES sound like an oberheim... one that's at the end of a progression towards smoothness and complexity. :wink:

But yeah, if its brass ye want, I think obxa is the way...

Or you could get the 8 and have the sound plus more features and reliability.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed May 06, 2009 5:23 pm

the ob8 does not have more features than the matrix 12...
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Strangenono
Roland Jx10
Yamaha SY77

Post by Strangenono » Wed May 06, 2009 5:55 pm

I owned an ob8 a few years ago which got replaced by OP-x (reliability issues and money was a matter at that time) so this kind of sound is covered. The thing I am looking for is a synth with more personality than my roland (I love the roland sound but I'm getting bored of its sounds). I was looking for the matrix since it has DCOs ( a very important point for reliability), split and stack capacities ,a lot of memory, and a classy sound. I also read that its specs are more advanced than the jx in terms of programmability. I' m going to use it as a partner for a SY77 ( which will be probably layered to it for brasses as is currently the jx) and a Fusion 6hd for sampled sound. I use this set up in multiple genre such as 80's cover band, metal band, and new age, this depends on job offers...
I think the Oberheim sound isn't the Ultimate goal but something like would add a plus to the music.
So would you choose matrix 12 or jx10 ?

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed May 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Joey wrote:the ob8 does not have more features than the matrix 12...
I know that. Re-read my post. I was replying to the last sentence of the previous post suggesting an OBXa
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed May 06, 2009 10:27 pm

If you are looking for aggressive and punchy the JX isn't the best choice IMO.

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Thu May 07, 2009 1:09 am

The Matrix 12 doesn't have DCOs and isn't particularly a synth I'd recommend for reliability, but having owned a JX-10 for many years I'd say that the Matrix 12 can do a lot of similar sounds to the JX, just better and is capable of much, much more :)
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sat May 09, 2009 4:09 pm

The Matrix is a killer synth! Contrary to popular beleif, if DOES that a very think Oberheim sound thanks to its filter design and it can sound very SEMish or OB-Xa-ish if you program it as such. But the entire reason for owning one is to create sounds that go beyond the early, raw oberheim tones so why would you set it up to sound that way? I will admit that the oscillators are not quite as powerful (or loud sounding) when just comparing a a sawtooth or square wave. But who does that and who cares anyway? I love the looks too with that super deep main panel awash with buttons and knobs. I feel like I am at the command console of something extraordinarily powerful. Love it!!

socalsynths
Gear: Roland: JX10, Fantom FA76, Juno-60, Juno-106
Yamaha: DX7, SY77, Motif ES6
Korg: Triton Extreme, Wavestation

Post by socalsynths » Sun May 10, 2009 5:26 pm

Had a Matrix, loved the character, but it needed a lot of processing. The JX10 sits right in a mix, very wide and ethereal. Keep in mind, and I refer to the original JX manual, that the DCO's are analog; specifically, they utilize a technique where a square wave is generated by an analog source, which is fed into a digital controller for pitch and wave shaping into pulse or saw / ramp. The imperfections created by the primary source are a large source of the perfectly imperfect sound, along with analog filters and analog chorus.

...oh, sorry. JX10!

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Tue May 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Used to have a JX-8p and now got an Xpander.

The Jx is nice but the Xpander/matrix 12 (yes I tried one) are so much more.

The do have VCOs. But they autotune if you want them to.

Otherwise I agre with Leeroy & ESP
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Strangenono
Roland Jx10
Yamaha SY77

Post by Strangenono » Tue May 12, 2009 10:01 pm

VCOs... Ok for me if they are more stable than the jupiter 8 I had a long time ago. So it seems to be as capable as the jx, and more programmable. In term of dynamic, attack, some told me that the jx had slow envelopes but they are ok for my purpose, are the matrix slower ?

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 13, 2009 5:14 am

No. Tha's more urban legend synth folklore you hear about. In my experience (since I own them all) the Matrix-12 EGs are a touch slower than the OB8, which is in turn a touch slower than the OB-Xa. The fastest EGs I've heard on any vintage polysynth come from the Prophet-5. The Jup-8 is about the same as the OB-Xa. The Matrix EGs are snappy enough to do good bass and brass lines without any issues whatsoever.